Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

My insurance is up on the weekend and for some reason my quote had gone up to £554

So I phoned today to cancel to make sure that they didn’t take money as I was going elsewhere. Instantly I got a revised quote of £400.

I explained I’d already had a quote from Admiral for £228, so I was still going. They offered me a further one of discount getting me down to £300.

I very nicely explained to the guy how 300 was a higher number than 228.

After a slight pause and me having to promise I really had a quote for £228 (I didn’t), they agreed to match the £228, from a starting position of £554.

Enough people just let it auto renew I guess.

That's the sort of situation that the FCA's new rules (it isn't a law as such, it's a regulation) will reduce or end, but the regulation doesn't come into effect until January next year.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's the sort of situation that the FCA's new rules (it isn't a law as such, it's a regulation) will reduce or end, but the regulation doesn't come into effect until January next year.

When I went to cancel online i got a message that they cannot offer me a better price. Maybe over the phone they are a bit more flexible. 

Edited by Genie

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

Just updated it, cannot.

Seems like they’re playing by the new rules (online at least). 

That's interesting, thanks. Maybe it's their effort to get public opinion to turn against the rule before it comes into force?

• Like 2

Back in 2008 me and the wife (we got married at the start of 2008) went to Jamaica for my birthday.

We've just rebooked to go back with the children in December, flying out on my 40th birthday.

Cant wait, the place we’re going looks stunning!

(Obviously this all depends on the state of the world at that stage).

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

An interesting read. 

Let’s not forget though that this is someone from the legal profession, yes insurance companies may benefit but it’s the solicitors who are missing out on easy fees, so of course they are angry about it.

15 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Let’s not forget though that this is someone from the legal profession, yes insurance companies may benefit but it’s the solicitors who are missing out on easy fees, so of course they are angry about it.

He's a QC not an ambulance chaser. It will not affect him in the slightest. Barristers very rarely, if ever get involved in minor RTI claims. If a QC does get involved, the case will be well above the £5k threshold involved here, by a factor of about a hundred

What you're saying is akin to poining out that Gordon Ramsey is involved in the hospitality industry when he's pointing out that a law affecting kebabs shops is wrong

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bickster said:

He's a QC not an ambulance chaser. It will not affect him in the slightest. Barristers very rarely, if ever get involved in minor RTI claims. If a QC does get involved, the case will be well above the £5k threshold involved here, by a factor of about a hundred

What you're saying is akin to poining out that Gordon Ramsey is involved in the hospitality industry when he's pointing out that a law affecting kebabs shops is wrong

They'll be elements of biase from both sides I think. Some lawyers are ambulance chasers and some people do put in fake claims but this government does seem to be attacking the rule of law and legal profession. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

The cat’s wandered off sulking. 

He'll be plotting your demise now. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

After ten minutes of watching my cat jump around the dining room trying to catch a fly while I’m trying to work (browse VT), I’ve just managed to catch the fly in my hand, first time. I’m basically  Mr Miyagi at this point. 

The cat’s wandered off sulking. 

You should use the cat to wax the car. That'll learn him. 

Wax on, wax off. 

(I don't think that classes as animal cruelty does it?) 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

Â