Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

6 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

They sound nothing like Nirvana.

Totally different sound/vibe/vocal performance. Way more alt rock than grunge.

They probably have more in common with Dylan tbh...

Looking at their discography a few songs I seem to recall, I Alone being the main one. I wouldn't compare them to Nirvana as such, but compare them to the bands that sprung up in Nirvanas wake, that alt rock that collective soul, bush, soul asylum peddled. Not exact but to my untrained ears, thats what I associate with them. That said, people like them, people are happy they have reformed with the original lineup, good.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

They sound nothing like Nirvana.

Totally different sound/vibe/vocal performance. Way more alt rock than grunge.

They probably have more in common with Dylan tbh...

No. Just, no. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This is back to the not liking avocado argument. Sometimes one taste is more than enough. If I listen to the Live album twenty times will it sound more like Bob Dylan than Nirvana? 

Than Nirvana?  Yeah probably :)  But nah seriously, if it's a style thing then fair dos.

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I wouldn't compare them to Nirvana as such, but compare them to the bands that sprung up in Nirvanas wake, that alt rock that collective soul, bush, soul asylum peddled.

That's what I meant. Those bands all sound generically the same to me, for the simple reason that I don't listen to that style of music enough to discern the differences. Just like someone who's not into Americana would probably dismiss Dylan, Townes Van Zandt, Neil Young and Butch Hancock as all pretty much the same. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That's what I meant. Those bands all sound generically the same to me, for the simple reason that I don't listen to that style of music enough to discern the differences. Just like someone who's not into Americana would probably dismiss Dylan, Townes Van Zandt, Neil Young and Butch Hancock as all pretty much the same. 

Yeah they'd definitely be wrong as well.

6 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah they'd definitely be wrong as well.

From one point of view, they'd be dead right. There are generic similarities, just as there are for (say) grunge bands, rap acts, trad jazz bands, ceilidh bands, prog bands, etc. If a style appeals to you, you'll appreciate the differences. If it doesn't, you won't. 

• Like 1

I've listened to it, just to see what the fuss was about. 

It sounds like Staind to me. 

Bit of Sound Garden.

Bit of Smashing Pumpkins.

little bit of Beck. 

Not my bag man. Bit generic sounding. 

That said, I must admit I hold Noel Gallagher at the apex of the music mountain, so take my opinion with a pinch of shit. 

Totally a loud/quiet post grunge US pop rock band to me.

More Goo Goo Dolls than Nirvana though!

90's was such a weird (and therefore) wonderful time. Uk going through the baggy madchester thing, the rise of dance music from 80's electronica, Grunge out of America leaving the perms in it's wake, Hip-Hop not totally Gangsta yet, The British Pop revival, Bristol Trip-Hop becomes a thing, Metallica hit the mainstream, Good stuff whatever your bag really. Great decade musically.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Totally a loud/quiet post grunge US pop rock band to me.

More Goo Goo Dolls than Nirvana though!

90's was such a weird (and therefore) wonderful time. Uk going through the baggy madchester thing, the rise of dance music from 80's electronica, Grunge out of America leaving the perms in it's wake, Hip-Hop not totally Gangsta yet, The British Pop revival, Bristol Trip-Hop becomes a thing, Metallica hit the mainstream, Good stuff whatever your bag really. Great decade musically.

Now I remember why I spent the 90s mostly listening to classical. And celebrating the fact that the record companies were finally rereleasing lots of 60s and 70s music (even the obscure stuff) on CD. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Now I remember why I spent the 90s mostly listening to classical. And celebrating the fact that the record companies were finally rereleasing lots of 60s and 70s music (even the obscure stuff) on CD. 

Counting Crows 1st Album, Ben Harper appears, Division Bell appears from Floyd, Harvest Moon from Neil Young, Unplugged and the Clapton revival - 24nights!, Bob Dylan Tribute concert, Bonny Rait gets commercial recognition, Eva Cassidy, Robert Cray, Tracy Chapman...

giphy.gif

:D

Counting Crows 1st Album - sort of liked it on first listen, quickly palled. Didn't buy.

Ben Harper appears - see above.

Division Bell appears from Floyd - WAAAY past their best. Didn't buy.

Harvest Moon from Neil Young - not bad, bought it, far from his best though.

Unplugged and the Clapton revival - 24nights! - meh. 

Bob Dylan Tribute concert - had its moments, bought it, played it a couple of times.

Bonny Rait gets commercial recognition - sold out, too polished compared to her earlier stuff. Didn't buy. 

Eva Cassidy - zzzzzzzzz

Robert Cray - see Ben Harper, Counting Crows...

Tracy Chapman - see Robert Cray. 

Now that the 'please opt in to our marketing shite' mails have stopped, I love the GPDR.

If only for the incredibly sheepish mails I now receive from scumbag recruitment consultants when I politely respond to them, CCing in the ICO, asking why they're contacting me without consent after harvesting my email from Jobsite.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Now that the 'please opt in to our marketing shite' mails have stopped, I love the GPDR.

If only for the incredibly sheepish mails I now receive from scumbag recruitment consultants when I politely respond to them, CCing in the ICO, asking why they're contacting me without consent after harvesting my email from Jobsite.

Seems odd? 

If your email address is on jobsite then surely they can contact you in a GDPR compliant manner through Legitimate Interest 

5 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Seems odd? 

If your email address is on jobsite then surely they can contact you in a GDPR compliant manner through Legitimate Interest 

It was, several months ago. I still get mails from the odd agency that harvested ages ago.

Regardless, even Jobsite doesn't contact me anymore because they recognised that they don't have the level of consent that GPDR requires:

• Check your consent practices and your existing consents. Refresh your consents if they don’t meet the GDPR standard.
  • Consent requires a positive opt-in. Don’t use pre-ticked boxes or any other method of default consent.
  • Explicit consent requires a very clear and specific statement of consent.
  • Keep your consent requests separate from other terms and conditions.
  • Be specific and ‘granular’ so that you get separate consent for separate things. Vague or blanket consent is not enough.
  • Be clear and concise.
  • Name any third party controllers who will rely on the consent.
  • Make it easy for people to withdraw consent and tell them how.
  • Keep evidence of consent – who, when, how, and what you told people.
  • Keep consent under review, and refresh it if anything changes.
  • Avoid making consent to processing a precondition of a service.

Nicking someone's email from a third party site definitely doesn't meet that standard.

Now, technically there are other justifications, GPDR doesn't necessarily require consent, but it's by far the safest justification. So far none of them have tried to justify it. They're just spamming bastards who hope they don't get caught.

Edited by Davkaus

Â