Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

As far as I'm concerned there are no 'rules'. In this case they know perfectly well we can't afford to foot the full bill, but then they're pretty broke, too. They're not the sort to want anything ostentatious anyway. I expect that between them and the two sets of parents we can sort out something nice that won't cost a fortune. 

• Like 2

As for the weekend just gone?

Villa won.

Broncos won.

Aberdeen got to League Cup final.

Kaiserslautern won 3-0 to move out of relegation places.

Cremonese won.

Trust me, that clean sweep does NOT happen to me too often! :hooray:

27 minutes ago, BOF said:

Villa won.

Broncos won.

Cremonese won.

Is anyone else wondering how you manage to be a fan of all those teams?

55 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Is anyone else wondering how you manage to be a fan of all those teams?

It's a sliding scale.  I've 'followed' / 'kept an eye on' / 'rooted for' those teams for yonks.  Of the 5, Villa, Broncos & Aberdeen are all since the mid to late 80s.  Kaiserslautern and Cremonese are mid 90s and both as a result of computer football games (Sensible World of Soccer & Championship Manager Italia '95 respectively).  But Villa & Broncos are the two I go mental over, and as they're 2 different codes, ne'er the twain shall meet :thumb: Surely you have a fondness or a soft spot for a foreign team ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Villa won.

Broncos won.

Cremonese won.

Nice fivefold right there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

It's a sliding scale.  I've 'followed' / 'kept an eye on' / 'rooted for' those teams for yonks.  Of the 5, Villa, Broncos & Aberdeen are all since the mid to late 80s.  Kaiserslautern and Cremonese are mid 90s and both as a result of computer football games (Sensible World of Soccer & Championship Manager Italia '95 respectively).  But Villa & Broncos are the two I go mental over, and as they're 2 different codes, ne'er the twain shall meet :thumb: Surely you have a fondness or a soft spot for a foreign team ?

I can honestly say no, the only exception really is that I follow boxing and tennis and do support non-British sportsmen/women, not in terms of teams though. Team sports I only follow England such as football/rugby etc..

1 hour ago, BOF said:

52 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I can honestly say no, the only exception really is that I follow boxing and tennis and do support non-British sportsmen/women, not in terms of teams though. Team sports I only follow England such as football/rugby etc..

I suppose it's a little different with BOF being Oirish, but I'm with AVFCDAN on this one. In football terms, it's Villa only. I used to get excited about the England football team, but if I'm being totally honest, I've not really given a shit about them since about 2002. I don't think I could ever pick another Association Football team to follow, regardless of what country they were based in. It just wouldn't feel right.

The only other sport I follow as passionately as football is cricket (yawn, boring, etc etc), and I support Warwickshire / Birmingham Bears (they're the same team), but if I'm totally honest with myself I care more about England in cricket. I also go and watch Durham, and like to see them do well, but I'm not really a supporter.

If I had any interest in American sport, I'd probably pick the Chicago teams, as the city is twinned with Birmingham.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I suppose it's a little different with BOF being Oirish, but I'm with AVFCDAN on this one. In football terms, it's Villa only. I used to get excited about the England football team, but if I'm being totally honest, I've not really given a shit about them since about 2002. I don't think I could ever pick another Association Football team to follow, regardless of what country they were based in. It just wouldn't feel right.

You're right.  It is very different being Oirish.  Over here, with our league being largely rubbish, >90% of football fans will have either a single British team or one in England & Scotland.  You'll get your die hard League of Ireland fans who only support LOI.  You'll get the Celtic die hards who don't follow the Premier League and you get the Premier League fans plus a combination of all 3.  In that sense, because we're already supporting a 'foreign' team, it's not the same as you as a Brummie deciding to follow a Bundesliga side.

It's why Robbie Keane got mocked in England when he said "Liverpool I've followed them all my life" followed by "Celtic I've followed them all my life".  Completely different approach and dynamic.  It's perfectly true and given his age it's the most common combination of support over here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

You're right.  It is very different being Oirish.  Over here, with our league being largely rubbish, >90% of football fans will have either a single British team or one in England & Scotland.  You'll get your die hard League of Ireland fans who only support LOI.  You'll get the Celtic die hards who don't follow the Premier League and you get the Premier League fans plus a combination of all 3.  In that sense, because we're already supporting a 'foreign' team, it's not the same as you as a Brummie deciding to follow a Bundesliga side.

It's why Robbie Keane got mocked in England when he said "Liverpool I've followed them all my life" followed by "Celtic I've followed them all my life".  Completely different approach and dynamic.  It's perfectly true and given his age it's the most common combination of support over here.

Totally. I was mates with a group of lads from the North, when I was at Uni. To a man, they supported one of Liverpool or Man Utd, as well as either Celtic or Rangers. It was odd that they'd argue over the Premier League in one conversation, then all change sides again to argue over the SPL!

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Like **** he does. 

My Googling produced the statistic that only 18% of brides' parents pay for the whole thing these days.

45% of the costs is nearer the norm.

The average wedding now costs £24k (including honeymoon) and most weddings cost between £5-10k.

I can't imagine spending 5 figures on a wedding.

Think of the start you could make on your home, saving for kids, or just securing your future financially instead of spending a fortune entertaining a bunch of people who you mostly never see.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BOF said:

It's a sliding scale.  I've 'followed' / 'kept an eye on' / 'rooted for' those teams for yonks.  Of the 5, Villa, Broncos & Aberdeen are all since the mid to late 80s. 

when your Saturday night drinking buddies pop a goal in the UEFA Cup

I'm not in that 'crowd' scene - I'd gone on a death defying vaulting run through the seats!

• Like 2

Â