Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

38 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

One for I dont get, but at 47 and growing up with Thriller/Bad the other one, I just never got his music. Still dont, I listen to anything by him and I do not see how it could have even been made let alone popular, I was the same in the early 80's hearing Beat it, or thriller and thinking, whaaaa???? Particularly when your mates all say its a work of art. 

I made a similar comment on here recently. The difference is that I do sort of 'get it'. I can see that what he did, he did really well. I just don't like it myself. See also: David Bowie. 

Suppose the test for me would be when was the last time I listened to the Thriller  album ... guess it was sometime back in the 80’s ,so for me it hasn’t stood the test of time 

the thriller video was great though

Growing up in the 80s, MJ was an icon. I remember getting a copy of Bad and a Walkman for my birthday one year, and being over the moon. Listening to that, then got me into the Jackson 5, and then Motown. I wouldn't listen to him these days, and his private life leaves me asking more than a few questions, but can't fault his musical legacy.

went to an 80's retro arcade thing in Carnaby Street yesterday , couple of hours of reliving my teenage years on track and Field , Donkey Kong , Outrun ,Robocop, Street Fighter  ..heck they even had the 4 player Teenage Ninja Turtle game

Tonyh Jnr and his mate were a bit bemused by how crap everything looks compared to Generation Xbox One , but they enjoyed themselves and were hooked on Tekken and After Burner and were still happily playing right up to the point we got kicked out

Only Bummer was that they didn't have NARC , still the best arcade game every made ( probably the junkies throwing hypodermic needles at you wouldn't have been very child friendly for them )

They had a N64 running Goldeneye as well  , one of the iconic games  ... good it looks shit now  :(  ... still fun but makes you appreciate how far gaming has come

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Suppose the test for me would be when was the last time I listened to the Thriller  album ... guess it was sometime back in the 80’s ,so for me it hasn’t stood the test of time 

the thriller video was great though

Thriller is the more iconic album, but Bad had more good songs, imo.

Bad, The Way You Make Me Feel, Dirty Diana, Man in the Mirror, Smooth Criminal, Leave Me Alone, Liberian Girl were all on that album (amongst others)

• Like 1

Off the Wall stands the test of time. 'Dont stop till you get enough' is an undeniable funk classic for me. By the time Thriller comes along its all about the marketing. The videos for Thriller and Billy Jean (great bassline) were groundbreaking and I can still remember where I was when I first saw them. But the music (like most stuff in the 80's imo) was on the decline. To any Jacko fans Bad is full of great Jacko songs (smooth Criminal esp.) so I get the love for it. Just I'd found 'Slippery When Wet' and 'Appetitie for Destruction' by then and  '.....And Justice for all' for all was just around the corner so I was well off on and 80's cock rock binge by then.

Personally I always found him a little too odd for my liking but he knew how to construct a song. And dance. And sell stuff.

The lovely MrsVM is a massive fan. The possibility of him being a nonce is definitely offtopic in our house. Not because she wont believe it but because if its true its the fault of his dad and Quincy Jones and all them and he's a victim really. So it's easier not to have the same coversation for a tenth time if it's going nowhere! And MrsVM is ace. Just a blind spot. Same as me changing my mind on John Terry just because he pulled on the right T-shirt I suppose....

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

The lovely MrsVM is a massive fan. The possibility of him being a nonce is definitely offtopic in our house. Not because she wont believe it but because if its true its the fault of his dad and Quincy Jones and all them and he's a victim really. So it's easier not to have the same coversation for a tenth time if it's going nowhere! And MrsVM is ace. Just a blind spot. Same as me changing my mind on John Terry just because he pulled on the right T-shirt I suppose....

I think you have to be able to draw the line between personal life and professional life.

I'm a huge MJ fan.

But I like him for his music and his performances. I think his personal life is very questionable (but also greatly exaggerrated) and it comes down to psychological problems. But I don't approve of any of it, regardless.

I don't think that means you can't enjoy the music though. 

Same way I'd enjoy watching a Mike Tyson boxing match, or a Kevin Spacey film, or a Lost prophets album.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

went to an 80's retro arcade thing in Carnaby Street yesterday , couple of hours of reliving my teenage years on track and Field , Donkey Kong , Outrun ,Robocop, Street Fighter  ..heck they even had the 4 player Teenage Ninja Turtle game

Tonyh Jnr and his mate were a bit bemused by how crap everything looks compared to Generation Xbox One , but they enjoyed themselves and were hooked on Tekken and After Burner and were still happily playing right up to the point we got kicked out

Only Bummer was that they didn't have NARC , still the best arcade game every made ( probably the junkies throwing hypodermic needles at you wouldn't have been very child friendly for them )

They had a N64 running Goldeneye as well  , one of the iconic games  ... good it looks shit now  :(  ... still fun but makes you appreciate how far gaming has come

That sounds like a great night out I'd have been hunting down Arkanoid with the roller ball control if they had it! But you just reminded me of that 4 player turtles game there. 4 player with your mates in the days where multi-links for Playstations were the stuff of Sci-fi! Yeah, we spent some coins playing that :)

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I think you have to be able to draw the line between personal life and professional life.

I'm a huge MJ fan.

But I like him for his music and his performances. I think his personal life is very questionable (but also greatly exaggerrated) and it comes down to psychological problems. But I don't approve of any of it, regardless.

I don't think that means you can't enjoy the music though. 

Same way I'd enjoy watching a Mike Tyson boxing match, or a Kevin Spacey film, or a Lost prophets album.

Absolutely agree. Apart from the Lost Prophets. Thankfully I always wondered what the appeal of the Lost Prophets was.

I cant stop liking films I like or music that speaks to me just because the creators were awful people. I even quote Ghandi at times.

Getting dropped off at home this morning straight from the yard. I was only doing half a day anyway, because I've got an appointment this afternoon. The lad I worked with, said it's pointless taking me with him, and that he will cover for me. 

Â