Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

Or how about just simply, PL wants another experienced CB to play alongside our existing CBs

He can't play alongside them both. Ideally Vlaar\Lescott - which as VGM said would limit clark to rotation or fringe player. Given the silence on Ron Vlaar it could be that he won't be returning soon (he doesn't have a great injury record) - and that Lescott\Clark will hold the line.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've convinced me Clark is world class - no wonder he's at a top four club!

Where did I say Clark was world class or that he should be playing for a top four club?

Vermaelen has a better offensive game than Clark - at least, a better proven offensive game.

This is what gets him in the Arsenal team while Vermaelen's defensive game is, in my opinion, not world class, or even good, at times.

A good defense first centre back should be winning more than 59% of his headers. He doesn't but still retains his place over Per Mertesacker (who wins 69% of his headers) because he has a better offensive game.

BTW I made a mistake earlier when I said Clark had never been caught in possession this season.

Here are the actual stats for our defence.

Frequency player gets caught in possession.

Once every...

Herd: 393 minutes

Baker: 385 minutes

Vlaar: 298 minutes

Clark: 251 minutes

Lowton: 190 minutes

Stevens: 188 minutes

Lichaj: 80 minutes

Bennett: 58 minutes

Very poor again last night. He looks all at sea at the moment. Got schooled by Hansen.

I can still remember a day when prospects with potential used to learn their trade out on loan with clubs or by coming on late in games and bedding in slowly.

Why on earth do we have a whole team learning their trade at the same time in the f**king Premier League??

The guy is now 23, and has over 50 games for us. He is no longer young, nor inexperienced.

He is also our captain of late, although that ain't his fault - but he is a terrible captain. He doesn't seem to be able to read the game as a defender, and is always having to be bailed out.

Personally, I think he won't make it and we should get rid whilst we can get a few quid for him - Baker is a better player and a better prospect, so should play ahead of him.

IF the coaches think there is something there, keep hold but treat him like a player who needs a lot of coaching - which means he shouldn't be our captain, and shouldn't be in the team most weeks.

I know this means we need another CB, but we all know that!

• Like 1

does not win enough headers for me, Ive never really rated Clark and honestly think Baker is ahead in terms of the pecking order, do not think he should be getting the captains armband either, we need Vlaar back as Captain or get a midfield general and make him captain

He was appalling last night, his positioning was all over the place. made Big Jim Hanson look like Edison Cavani at times.

Sad to say since the Newcastle 6-0 he hasnt improved one ounce as centre back

Clark reminds me of a school level footballer!

Watching the defending of set pieces last night (or crosses) he was normally a yard behind the player who was getting a header in! So slow, so cumbersome, so weak.

Captain of Aston Villa football club? Never in a million years!

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Â