Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been thinking about this supposed "player revolt" this morning. I came to the conclusion that Friedel and Warnock are safe because there aren't really any other options for their positions and with no funds available their place in the starting line up should be secure.

However, my attention then turned to big John Carew and looked at the options for his place. It looks like JC could be fooked because it appears that big Emile has another fan in place to include him in the starting line up. Would be ok if he scored 20+ goals like he did for GH previously but I personally am not holding my breath over the thought of that ever happening again in this life.

Well to be fair, if he wins one trophy at Villa that is more prestigous than the league cup then he will be our most successful manager for 27 years.

Ouch!

Very true but still, keep it to yourself mate, you might put Gerard off.

I don't think a man of Houllier's experience will do anything except analyse the squad in it's entirety and pick a team on it's merits, not on sentiment or past performance.

It will clearly take him a few weeks to get a proper feel for the squad but I am sure the existing coaches will guide him in that process.

Who do you's think is going to be shouting orders from the touchline? "I don't mean food orders or drinks"

I only ask because Kevin didn't look like a person who would be that animated on the touchline and I guess this a big test for Houllier and his ticker...It will be interesting.

I'll say K-Mac. Having a #1 above him will give him confidence and as those who watch the reserves will attest to, he's quite the shouter at that level so he does have it in him.

It's also important to remember that Houllier's heart trouble was in 2001. He continued to manage Liverpool for 3 years after that, so it's not like he's a basket case or anything. If the players are expecting a shrinking violet then they might be in for a surprise. Houllier is well able to lose his temper.

What I'm looking for from Houllier is the ability to play the best 11, regardless of reputation. So he'll be happy enough to play albrighon ahead of downing if he's in better form, maybe give delph an extended run, play ireland in his proper position etc.

The only time he didn't look any good was at Man City when he was working under that despotic Shinawatra (spl) and you can hardly blame him for that.

He was ultimately shit for England and didn't achieve what many expected from that group of players, he was subsequently shit with Mexico and a catastrophe with the Ivory Coast.

3 of his last 4 jobs have been atrocious and you're only as good as your last piece of work.

Sven is after paydays now, jobs which will further set his family up for the rest of eternity financially, he is, for me the very definition of a football mercenary.

I know it's all about opinions but I find it laughable that anyone in their right mind could honestly want him at VP, particularly off the back of our 'sell to buy' transfer policy and strict wage structure.

I am coming round to the idea of Houllier, but i think thats more because i've had enough of all the uncertainty, we need someone who can let his record do the talking, people go on about his transfers but we should not worry about that at least until January, all i hope is his style of play has improved.

He was ultimately shit for England and didn't achieve what many expected from that group of players, he was subsequently shit with Mexico and a catastrophe with the Ivory Coast.

3 of his last 4 jobs have been atrocious and you're only as good as your last piece of work.

I am in no way a Sven fan and I'd have haaaated to see him here, but I think you're being a bit unkind to him there. His tenure at England looks a whole lot better when you see what subsequent managers have 'achieved'. It turns out in hindsight that he wasn't that bad after all. I'm not familiar enough with what happened at Mexico so I'll bow to you there. At Ivory Coast he 'lost' Drogba at the worst possible time even if the shadow of the man was able to turn out during the world cup with one arm. And his Man Citeh were no worse than Hughes' or Mankini's Citeh have been given that he had them at an earlier stage of development. His trouncing at the Riverside happened to an already dead-man-walking. To be fair to him, Mexico aside, he hasn't really properly failed anywhere. But he is a highly paid renegade who will work anywhere for the right price and, for me, he's not fit to polish Houllier's shoes.

Do we know what role MacDonald will be given
I believe ham and cheese is his role of choice. But eh, no, we don't really. It could be anything.

is Houllier bringing anyone with him?
We don't know fo' sho'.

Why is Staunton being mentioned?
Cuz people are sick f*ckers.

And he was shit at Notts County! No to Sven!

He got 40 league goals out of Heskey... Then sold him to the Blues for 6 and a half million... Do it again Gerard, and you'll be a Villa legend. If he wins a trophy with us.. Well. Let's just hope eh! Come on Mr. H, work your magic!

Do we know what role MacDonald will be given
I believe ham and cheese is his role of choice. But eh, no, we don't really. It could be anything.

is Houllier bringing anyone with him?
We don't know fo' sho'.

Why is Staunton being mentioned?
Cuz people are sick f*ckers.

So no fecker has got a scooby do whats going on then?!

Cheers Bri :lol:

Gérard Houllier agrees three-year deal to take charge at Aston Villa

• Frenchman will not be reunited with Phil Thompson

• Villa keen to look after Kevin MacDonald

Stuart James

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 7 September 2010 23.01 BST

Gérard Houllier is poised to make a return to the Premier League at Aston Villa. Photograph: Adam Davy/Empics Sport

Gérard Houllier has agreed a three-year contract to become Aston Villa's manager and is set to be confirmed as Martin O'Neill's successor , after he has held talks with the French Football Federation about the terms of his departure.

Houllier, who has been working as the technical director of the FFF, has shaken hands on a deal with Randy Lerner and given the Villa chairman his word that he will accept the position. Although there are some minor details to be ratified, Villa do not anticipate any problems and expect Houllier to be presented to the media on Thursday or, at the latest, on Friday.

The Frenchman will not be reunited with Phil Thompson, who worked alongside him at Liverpool. Thompson had been tipped to become the assistant manager at Villa Park but will instead continue with his media work. It remains to be seen whether Houllier will turn to one of his former players at Anfield to fulfil that role or offer the position to Kevin MacDonald, who was placed in caretaker charge when O'Neill resigned five days before the start of the season.

MacDonald eventually put his name forward to be considered for the manager's position and, although he has missed out, Villa are keen to look after the Scot, whose coaching ability and work in developing youngsters at the club over the past 15 years are highly regarded by Lerner. At the very least, Villa will keep open the reserve team manager's position that MacDonald held before O'Neill stepped down.Houllier's first game will be at the Britannia Stadium on Monday night, when Villa face Stoke City in the Premier League. The 63-year-old will be only the second foreigner to manage Villa, following Jozef Venglos's brief reign between 1990 and 1991.

Clicky

Phil Thompson snub for Gerard Houllier and Aston Villa

Gerard Houllier has suffered an early disappointment before his tenure as Aston Villa manager has even officially begun, with Phil Thompson rejecting the chance of becoming his second in command.

By Sandy Macaskill

Published: 7:00AM BST 08 Sep 2010

The news that Thompson, the Frenchman's former Liverpool assistant, had surprisingly rejected the opportunity – which hinted again at the problems the board are experiencing in accommodating caretaker manager Kevin MacDonald – came as reports in France suggested Houllier had agreed a short-term deal.

French newspaper L'Equipe on Tuesday night claimed that Houllier had accepted a two-year contract, yet sources close to the club suggested they had jumped the gun, supported by the fact that Villa had privately given the impression that they were aiming to tie the 63 year-old down to a three or four-year contract.

Sport on television

Either way, the process of appointing Martin O'Neill's successor is set to conclude imminently. Houllier will hand in his resignation to the French Football Federation in Paris today. The official coronation had been expected to be made tomorrow, but Villa could make an announcement sooner.

It will not now be quite the triumphant arrival that Houllier had hoped for.

It was no secret that he had approached Thompson, the former Liverpool defender, his No 2 at Anfield and caretaker when Houllier underwent heart surgery in 2001, about the possibility of joining Villa.

Although working as a pundit on Sky Sports, Thompson was thought to be keen on the idea. He informed close friends at BSkyB that he would be leaving television for a return to football, and sources at Villa confirmed that he would be installed as an assistant alongside MacDonald.

However, in a late U-turn the 56 year-old has decided against joining Villa after all. He was unavailable for comment when contacted yesterday.

The reasons for Thompson's volte-face are uncertain, but it is likely that he made the decision based in part on the principle that three is a crowd, having learnt that the club intend MacDonald to have a key coaching role.

As revealed by The Daily Telegraph, there has been a significant difficulty in agreeing on the exact role and remit that MacDonald, who has been in charge of first-team affairs since O'Neill's departure, should have.

MacDonald, understood to have been left disappointed at the clumsy manner in which the club have dealt with him, had his heart set on becoming the manager.

He was not impressed by the way the club encouraged him to apply for the managerial vacancy, then confirmed he had done so publicly, and finally the way they broke the news he had been passed over.

The Villa board, meanwhile, are anxious not to alienate MacDonald. They know that the Scotsman has much to offer on the training ground, and they are keen to incorporate him into the new regime. His relationship with the players is strong, and having been at the club for 15 years he represents continuity at a time of upheaval.

How the board position him in the new order has proved less simple. It is only natural that Houllier would want to bring in his own advisers, but they are being asked to share training ground duties with MacDonald.

As Randy Lerner is discovering, it could be harder to accommodate MacDonald than previously expected.

Clicky

Villa_Insider Twitter claiming Dietmar Hamann possibly involved....