Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can i ask what youths came through his system folks.because im sure Stevies G ect where already there before GH took charge..

Gerrard and Carragher were both about 18/19 when GH took over. Both owe a great deal to GH.

18 19,hang a min.if thats case DOL was great for giving Gabby chance.them players where already ear marked under Roy Evans lads.don't start hyping the man up when other people did the work..was Steve Highway not head of youth back then for Liverpool??..

You dont stop do you.

villain-scott peoples worry about Houllier is that the state he left Liverpool in required rebuilding. If after 2 years we are in that sort of state it could be a disaster for the club. All the past 4 years of building under O'Neill and Lerner could be reversed. That's my main worry. That's why I bring up his transfer record.

Not only his transfer record but his use of the Liverpool youth setup was a disaster when it came to bringing players through. We have signed relatively close to home the last few years at Villa and I fear this policy will be completely scrapped.

Another thing that is annoying me is his urgency for the job. Does he want it or what? I want someone who wants to do a job, not someone who want's to dilly dally about while he gets his previous life in order.

18 19,hang a min.if thats case DOL was great for giving Gabby chance.them players where already ear marked under Roy Evans lads.don't start hyping the man up when other people did the work..was Steve Highway not head of youth back then for Liverpool??..
But come on Fran, given that Houllier was never actually the youth team coach, what would you accept as being proof that he is good with youth players. The first 6 years of Gerrard's career, including his debut, was played under Houllier. He turned him into the player he was to become. The same with Carragher. That was done on the training ground, in the same way that O'Neill took Young and developed him. If you are saying that these players were already ready by the time they hit the first team then NO manager should ever get credit and should all always go to the youth coach and that's just not true. I don't think you will ever really give credit where it's due with regards to GH because I think you don't like him, and that will cloud your judgement of what he is good at.

Villa fans baffle me at times.

Who were people expecting? José Mourinho? We’ve never appointed a more successful manager than Gérard Houllier and there’s literally nobody with a better CV who we could attract – in or out of work. Jol got fired by Spurs as they’d failed to meet their goals, same with Hughes. Goals that were the same as ours.

It seems to me that a lot of this comes down to bragging rights amongst fellow fans. We wanted Hitzfeld or Koeman or Klinsmann because it’s something shiny and new that nobody else in the Prem has had. Liverpool's former boss Houllier? It’s like going out with one of your mates’ exes.

People are moaning that he sold Carew. Yep, he signed him in the first place too. They’re moaning that he signed Heskey. Yep, Heskey scored more goals under Houllier than the rest of his career put together (a guess but likely true).

Played boring football did he? What? Worse than Spain have for the last 4 years? Or Villa for that matter.

If he signs the type of crap players he did at Liverpool and the team perform as badly as his did there I'm looking forward to seeing strikers score over 20 goals per season, more trophies than we've won in the last 30 years and the majority of his players go on to win the Champions League within months of him departing VP.

What this fella said.

can i ask what youths came through his system folks.because im sure Stevies G ect where already there before GH took charge..

Gerrard and Carragher were both about 18/19 when GH took over. Both owe a great deal to GH.

If you manage someone from the age of 18-24 you leave a big mark on their career.

DOL left 2 months after Gabby's debut and cannot be given credit for the player he is now.

Houllier is the best of a bad bunch,

The bunch being touted by the media, you dont know who Randy did consider/contact/interview, Houllier is Randys choice and may well be the best of a good bunch.

Well good/bad is a matter of opinion. The managers that we didn't have to pay compensation too were the only ones we considered it seems. So he was the best of a bad bunch. The good managers don't stay out of the managers job that long.

Well, as far as i can see, Houllier HAS a job, so that point is irrelevant here. He patently doesn't need the money and has what appears to be a cushy little number in France. Bearing this in mind, he's obviously impressed with what Mr Lerner has presented him with. Maybe Mr Houllier decided he still has a hunger for this management lark, and so, he could prove an inspired signing.

Age also is not an issue: ask Fergie if he still has the fire to succeed!!

Managers can be out of work for a number of reasons and not just because they are pants- taking a sabbatical, waiting for an opportunity they REALLY want, etc. MON wasn't working for quite some time, due to his family medical issues, but that didn't prevent him returning to manage Villa when the time was right. Things aren't always as black and white as we like to paint them sometimes.

If you manage someone from the age of 18-24 you leave a big mark on their career.

DOL left 2 months after Gabby's debut and cannot be given credit for the player he is now.

Is that why Heskey is so shit now? :winkold:

Many teams have a good cup run, nobody get's lucky over 38 league games that's why we've only ever seen the best win the Premier League, thats why cracking the top 4 is so hard.

But isn't that what Houllier did, quite a few times?

Has Jol done it?

Just as a reminder, Houllier's record with Liverpool was:

1998-99 - 7th

1999-00 - 4th

2000-01 - 3rd

2001-02 - (not counting as he was taken ill in October, but they were 3rd)

2002-03 - 5th

2003-04 - 4th

If we had a manager who had done that for Villa over the period, we would regard him as a success in the league competition, surely?

Liverpool! Villa! Why does no one see any difference between the expectations/possibilities between the two. If Houllier achieves those positions as a Villa manager I'll eat my cock.

Many teams have a good cup run, nobody get's lucky over 38 league games that's why we've only ever seen the best win the Premier League, thats why cracking the top 4 is so hard.

But isn't that what Houllier did, quite a few times?

Has Jol done it?

Just as a reminder, Houllier's record with Liverpool was:

1998-99 - 7th

1999-00 - 4th

2000-01 - 3rd

2001-02 - (not counting as he was taken ill in October, but they were 3rd)

2002-03 - 5th

2003-04 - 4th

If we had a manager who had done that for Villa over the period, we would regard him as a success in the league competition, surely?

Liverpool! Villa! Why does no one see any difference between the expectations/possibilities between the two. If Houllier achieves those positions as a Villa manager I'll eat my cock.

can't you go for something a little bigger? 8)

Well I can't wait for the Big G to start work. It's been years since we've had a proper manager who's actually won some real trophies.

It's like a breath of fresh air.

I fully support GH but you do realise than MON won lots of trophies too don't you?

But come on Fran, given that Houllier was never actually the youth team coach, what would you accept as being proof that he is good with youth players. The first 6 years of Gerrard's career, including his debut, was played under Houllier. He turned him into the player he was to become. The same with Carragher. That was done on the training ground, in the same way that O'Neill took Young and developed him. If you are saying that these players were already ready by the time they hit the first team then NO manager should ever get credit and should all always go to the youth coach and that's just not true. I don't think you will ever really give credit where it's due with regards to GH because I think you don't like him, and that will cloud your judgement of what he is good at.
all im saying is,people shouldnt be going on like he set up some great youth set up, because he didnt.yeah he might have done well with the players that have came through the set up already.but he never brought the players to the club,he never made the decision to bring them in.it seems that any of the younger players he did bring in turned out to be fairly rubbish and a great cost.

Well I can't wait for the Big G to start work. It's been years since we've had a proper manager who's actually won some real trophies.

It's like a breath of fresh air.

I fully support GH but you do realise than MON won lots of trophies too don't you?

Yep, but I was talking about real trohies :thumb:

I don't understand your point fran..

People aren't saying "Houllier is amazing with the youth".. we're just providing a response to people saying "Houllier is shit with youth"...

So.. He brought youngsters along that were already at Liverpool, therefore we wont have any problems with him bringing along youngsters that are already here.