Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Well good/bad is a matter of opinion. The managers that we didn't have to pay compensation too were the only ones we considered it seems. So he was the best of a bad bunch. The good managers don't stay out of the managers job that long.

Well, as far as i can see, Houllier HAS a job, so that point is irrelevant here. me was right.

I said managers job, MANAGERS job, you know what that means??? As in manager of a football club. Some people who post on here are simply retarded. How can people not read.

Houllier has had 2 years of management since he left Liverpool. 2 years out of the past 6.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I can't wait for the Big G to start work. It's been years since we've had a proper manager who's actually won some real trophies.

It's like a breath of fresh air.

I fully support GH but you do realise than MON won lots of trophies too don't you?

Yep, but I was talking about real trohies :thumb:

What so the League Cup and numerous Scottish titles don't count as real trophies?

From L'Equipe

Reportedly, Gerard Houllier would have given its consent to engage with English club Aston Villa. The current DTN was in England last weekend and he went back Monday night. Negotiations between the two parties would have ended on Tuesday for the signing of a contract period of two years. Houllier, who is expected to formally commit Wednesday, would have as his former right-hand assistant in Liverpool Phil Thompson, now a consultant on Sky Sports.

The Birmingham club was looking for a coach since the surprise departure of Martin O'Neill, August 9. Gerard Houllier has already resulted in the Premier League since he was the manager of Liverpool from 1998 to 2004.

all im saying is,people shouldnt be going on like he set up some great youth set up, because he didnt.

He did though Fran. He revolutionised their youth setup. It's in the link on the previous page.

Anyway, I would imagine he'll do a good enough job this season and next summer will be where my worries about his abilities in the transfer market will be tested. So if he's signed a 2 year contract then that means we can have an amicable parting of ways if those transfers result in failure.

I am sure he would have seen a lot of talent in the role he was in so that can only be good, thing is can we recruit them, will they join and where is our ambition now? Time will tell, but at the moment we need all fans onside and for us to support the club with all the love we have for it.

How irritating that people seem unable to distinguish between two trains of thought.

I tell you waht you go away and search my posts and tell me where I have not had one positive thing to say about ASTON VILLA. Or where all I am saying is negative things abour ASTON VILLA or where I have suggested that we should be happy to merely be in the premier league, ASTON VILLA, that is.

Keep searching.

I have been highly critical of Randy Lerner, I have been critical of Krulak, I have been critical of the board and their PR and handling of this whole affair, I have even been critical of MON at times and his decisions, I have been critical of the appointment of Houllier and especially Thompson. I have been critical of Macdonald when he was caretaker and the choices he made.

Tell me is that Aston Villa, or individuals charged with various functions in the club?

I was critical of Doug Ellis, I was extremely critical of David O'leary did that make me negative towards Aston Villa at that time do you think?

In fact let me tell you it didn't then and it doesn't now.

Randy Lerner is not Aston Villa

Krulak is not Aston Villa

Oleary was not Aston Villa

Ellis is not (and never will be) Aston Villa

there is a huge difference between being critical of people involved in the running of the club and being negative towards the club, never saying one thing positive REGARDLESS OF THE PERCEPTION OF SOME, or the myth that others would like to perpetuate.

Being critical is allowed. Having an opinion which is not the popular one is also allowed and should continue to be allowed without people getting all shirty that because you are not happy with their beloved Randy that you hate Villa and are being negative about the club.

There is a world of difference and the difference between my opinions and those that I have said I do not like by Thompson is, quite frankly, a universe apart.

The fact that some people on here cannot understand that is to their immense discredit.

Richard, from your posts I seem to get the impression that you think MON is (or was) Aston Villa and now that he has walked out, yes, walked out, feel it is justified to criticise pretty much everyone involved with the club because he isn't here. What is this Aston Villa you support so much if it doesn't have something to do with the Chairman, or the board, or the manager or caretaker manager, and the players, etc, etc? These are the 'real' and 'tangible' things that actually constitute the club at this time, yet your comments are consistently negative towards all of them. So is it just the ethereal concept of Aston Villa that you support?

Imagine this, you walk into someones house, you critice them, their wife, their children, siblings, parents and grandparents. The person gets angry and says how dare you insult my family please leave. You say, no I wasn't criticising your family, just you, your wife, your kids, your parents etc., etc., your family is something more than these. Somehow I don't think the argument would wash.

Also there is a huge difference between being critical with just cause and being critical because you just have an axe to grind. All of those people you mention are more a part of Aston Villa than you, or I for that matter, will ever be, they constitute part of it's core history. Our current owner, the board, manager and players, and a host of other staff, constitute what Aston Villa is at this point in time, and for that reason I will support them for they are Aston Villa at this present moment. No everything hasn't been perfect, but things rarely are, but I would say we are arguably in the safest pair of hands we have been for a long time and I am generally happy with the way the club has conducted itself and think the future is bright for the Villa.

The fact that some people on here cannot understand that is to their immense discredit.

My apologies if this is veering slightly off topic, might be better in the Support the Board thread, but it does also obviously relate to our new manager.

Well I just don't like Houllier's record in the transfer market. I used to mock my Liverpool supporting mates becuase he bought rubbish like Diouf, Traore. Then when at Lyon he swapped Carew for Baros, which is one of the worst transfer decisions ever.

I don't buy into the 2 years of league titles at Lyon. Winning the league is par for the course, they were utterly dominant when he took over and he won for two years.

Nobody can make a case for him being good in the transfer market. Noone. So don't even try. I think he;s good in the other areas but cripples himself by poor transfer decisions.

you could swap Lyon for Celtic there and youd be talking about MON

all im saying is,people shouldnt be going on like he set up some great youth set up, because he didnt.

He did though Fran. He revolutionised their youth setup. It's in the link on the previous page.

so what players have come through his revolutionised set up??.because Stevie G etc came through the set up before his,if his set up was so good why did Raffa have to rip it appart and start again..im willing to back the manager,but the way people are going on you'd think GH was the greatest manager there ever was..

Well it does look like a revolution when the academy that had produced the likes of McManaman, Fowler, Owen, Carragher and Gerrard hasn't produced a decent player in 10 years since Houllier laid his hands on it..

Well good/bad is a matter of opinion. The managers that we didn't have to pay compensation too were the only ones we considered it seems. So he was the best of a bad bunch. The good managers don't stay out of the managers job that long.

Well, as far as i can see, Houllier HAS a job, so that point is irrelevant here. me was right.

I said managers job, MANAGERS job, you know what that means??? As in manager of a football club. Some people who post on here are simply retarded. How can people not read.

Houllier has had 2 years of management since he left Liverpool. 2 years out of the past 6.

Funny, my brother is, using the old skool term, retarded and yet he can understand the concept that just because the media havent reported any in work managers being contacted/interviewed/rejected by us doesnt mean that we havent. Now if he as a "retard" can understand that then what sort of tag would that label you.

Well it does look like a revolution when the academy that had produced the likes of McManaman, Fowler, Owen, Carragher and Gerrard hasn't produced a decent player in 10 years since Houllier laid his hands on it..

now thats my **** point,thanks mate.

now to the over hyped over paid young french players he brought in..

I think people are just pointing out that he isn't the shittest manager to walk the earth.

You'd think he fondled some peoples giblets by the way they are going on.

No, I'm trying to point out flaws I think the man has. But you can't have discussions on VillaTalk, the army of sheep just come out with 10 posts per minute all saying the same thing and views become entrenched.

Houllier is a good manager, he did good things a Liverpool and he did nothing wrong at Lyon either. But I have gone through his transfer record and would deem it overall as a failure. We are low on money and we can't afford to have that number of failed signings. That's my worry.

I think the immediate impact of his appointment will be good, I just fear it'll tail off over the next 2 years when his signings are put into the team.