Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

The mans took a break from football and is now ready to show people how good he really is.

No he hasn't, right now he's getting a load of stick in France for their World Cup showing, he is getting part of the blame, which is why he's easy to release from his contract with the FFF

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aston Villa poised to name Gerard Houllier as successor to manager Martin O'Neill

Aston Villa are expected to announce former Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier as Martin O'Neill's successor on Monday.

By Sandy Macaskill and Mark Ogden

Published: 7:00AM BST 06 Sep 2010

The 63 year-old had taken the weekend to ensure that his family – understandably worried that his history of heart problems could resurface with a return to front-line management – were happy with his decision to accept the role offered to him last week.

It is likely that Kevin MacDonald, presently caretaker manager, will assume duties as first team coach, provided he has not been left disenchanted by the board's failure to contact him in the immediate days following his own interview for the managerial role.

The reaction of supporters to Houllier's appointment, meanwhile, is set to be mixed. Some of the less enthusiastic remarks have provoked Randy Lerner's confident, General Charles Krulak, into firing a warning shot at those who have voiced their doubts in cyberspace.

"Any manager worth their salt is going to do some due diligence on the club, and that would probably include reading up on the fans and the type of support they might receive," Krulak said.

"Take Mr H [Houllier]. What ever anyone thinks of him, he deserves respect from the fans. He has a fine record with multiple clubs and deserves better for the amount of effort he has put into his chosen career than to be ridiculed. We are bigger than that."

Krulak also chided impatient supporters. "Those who believe that all we need to do is walk into a manager's office and throw a wad of money at him and he will come with us just have zero idea of what it takes," he said.

Clicky

(Artical edited to just Villa related content - Trent)

**** hell. Pinochio in tow with Houllier. Is there enough room between the dug out and the Witton Lane Stand for his **** snout.

Just one of a series of disgraceful nosist comments posted on this board in the past few hours.

There should be no place for nasal discrimination in modern football!

Who asked you? Just keep your nose out of this :lol:

The mans took a break from football and is now ready to show people how good he really is.

No he hasn't, right now he's getting a load of stick in France for their World Cup showing, he is getting part of the blame, which is why he's easy to release from his contract with the FFF

Ok let me rephrase that.

The mans took a break from being a "football manager" and is now ready to show people how good he really is.

:)

**** hell. Pinochio in tow with Houllier. Is there enough room between the dug out and the Witton Lane Stand for his **** snout.

Just one of a series of disgraceful nosist comments posted on this board in the past few hours.

There should be no place for nasal discrimination in modern football!

Who asked you? Just keep your nose out of this :lol:

I feel I should point out that I personally have a quite normal-sized nose, and a fairly a straight one. Not that it matters of course. Some of my best friends have big noses, and I think I think it’s great when huge-conked and straight, normal-nosed people can get on well and relax together. But I don’t personally share Phil Thompson’s nasal orientation, and wish to make that clear...

Anyway, back on topic... I would be OK with Phil Thompson at Villa. Could even turn out to be a very choice.

Am i the only one thinking he'll get us to champions league? oh ok, thought so.

Actually i think he could do really well. may take a year or 2 to get us anywhere like up to challenging top 4 but for me there is still at least 1 top 4 spot up for grabs even allowing for the uneven playing field we now have with Chelski & Man Sheikhty & so it seems possibly Liverwok soon too.

I'm worried.

For me I'm at the stage of not having a clue who I do want, but knowing fully who I don't want. Houiller is one those I think would fail here. We've still got the core of a really strong side, if this manager has a bad first 4 months, God help us with when teams come-a-calling for Young and Gabs. You're kidding if you think Young will stick around if we're 12th and Spurs looking strong floating around 4th start making noises they want him.

I really hope I'm wrong because it seems like Houiller is the one now.

I'm worried.

For me I'm at the stage of not having a clue who I do want, but knowing fully who I don't want. Houiller is one those I think would fail here. We've still got the core of a really strong side, if this manager has a bad first 4 months, God help us with when teams come-a-calling for Young and Gabs. You're kidding if you think Young will stick around if we're 12th and Spurs looking strong floating around 4th start making noises they want him.

I really hope I'm wrong because it seems like Houiller is the one now.

Why do you think he would fail? He's a very experienced and successful manager

I don't think he's inhereiting a really strong side either - we've got a few decent players but we a still some way short of serious competing for CL places in any sustained way.

I will be happy with mid-table this year given the upheaval of the last few weeks and hope that GH can mould the team into something that can challenge top 6 or even CL next season

FFS give the bloke a chance

With the squad we've got, I reckon we can still challenge at the top end of the league BUT Houllier is a big risk by Randy. Curbs would be a much safer appointment, but far less interesting!

If Houllier can get off to a good start, perhaps a scalp against Spurs (away) or Chelsea (home), then I reckon the fans will get behind him and we could see knock on effects in the January transfer window where I expect we'll have to strengthen.

The media talk about a player revolt is off the mark IMO - Carew has said he thinks Houllier is a good manager, and Warnock had a problem with Benitez, not GH, when he was at Liverpool.