Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Gerard Houllier will consider reuniting with former Liverpool assistant Phil Thompson

GERARD Houllier will consider reuniting with former Liverpool assistant Phil Thompson when he completes his return to English football with Aston Villa in the next 48 hours.

Thompson was Houllier’s No2 at Anfield during his six-year reign and is set to move to the Midlands club with the Frenchman. Villa are on the verge of appointing Houllier as Martin O’Neill’s permanent replacement.

He is expected to be offered a traditional managerial type of role, but caretaker boss Kevin MacDonald, who is popular with the players and has chairman Randy Lerner’s support, is likely to stay at the club and could still have a role with the first team. Houllier, who turned 63 last week, refused to be drawn on the subject of the Villa job when questioned after attending Jamie Carragher’s testimonial at Anfield on Saturday.

He left Liverpool six years ago and has been employed as his country’s technical director since parting company with Lyon in 2007, but he has come under fire after France’s disappointing World Cup.

noooooooooooooooooooooossseeeee

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its better than Staunton though..still,its all a little like an anfield reunion isn't it..

Most manager travel to different clubs with their own backroom staff, didn't O'Neil do that also? Was that a Celtic reunion?

**** it man, the MartinOnettes are already waiting for the "i told you so" event.

Quite fcuking sad really :?

its better than Staunton though..still,its all a little like an anfield reunion isn't it..

Most manager travel to different clubs with their own backroom staff, didn't O'Neil do that also? Was that a Celtic reunion?

sorry wrong quote..

Sorry if this has alaready been posted but haven't noticed it. Thankfully not quotes, I can accept GH, but please Paul McGrath, NOT PINOCCHIO!

GERARD HOULLIER WILL CONSIDER PHIL THOMPSON REUNION

Story Image

Gerard Houllier will consider reuniting with former Liverpool assistant Phil Thompson

Monday September 6,2010

By Tony Paskin

Comment Speech Bubble Have your say(0)

GERARD Houllier will consider reuniting with former Liverpool assistant Phil Thompson when he completes his return to English football with Aston Villa in the next 48 hours.

Thompson was Houllier’s No2 at Anfield during his six-year reign and is set to move to the Midlands club with the Frenchman. Villa are on the verge of appointing Houllier as Martin O’Neill’s permanent replacement.

He is expected to be offered a traditional managerial type of role, but caretaker boss Kevin MacDonald, who is popular with the players and has chairman Randy Lerner’s support, is likely to stay at the club and could still have a role with the first team. Houllier, who turned 63 last week, refused to be drawn on the subject of the Villa job when questioned after attending Jamie Carragher’s testimonial at Anfield on Saturday.

Express

Chris is just another day and another name for people to slag off. Sure he has a big nose, I'm very sure he knows that himself....Lets slag him off for it as we can't find any other faults.

He knows his stuff and I don't remember him saying anything bad about AV, but lets slag him off anyway huh.

Phil Thompson is a very good assistant manager, regardless of what he is like as a person.

How can you know what he is like as an Assistant Manager ? By their very nature Assistant Managers don't really get credited with much, so how do you KNOW he's such a good one ?

However, much as I don't like Phil Thompson (from what little I have seen of him on Soccer Saturday), if Houllier is our man, and PT is his, then i'll welcome them both. I do hope he finds room for people with a strong Villa connection too though (maybe Brian Little)

Would still rather have Moyes, but that looks less and less likely now.

Phil Thompson is a very good assistant manager, regardless of what he is like as a person.

How can you know what he is like as an Assistant Manager ? By their very nature Assistant Managers don't really get credited with mush, so how do you KNOW he's such a good one ?

Because he took Liverpool to 2nd place in the league when Houllier was in hospital?