Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

The thing is, we don't exactly have a long list of managers lining up do we?

Houllier isn't a bad appointment IMO. He's not who i wanted, but he's an experienced manager that will steady the ship. Maybe this is just a short term thing and we'll get someone else in next year.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst thing about appointing Houllier, and this is an observation rather than an opinion, is that such a move already appears to have divided the fans as opposed to us all cartwheeling with delight around B6 with unbridled joy at such a coup.

I would suggest that had we appointed any of the other currently unemployed managers, or most if not all of the employed managers we have been linked with (perhaps not Moyes or Jol), the reaction would have been the same.

Phil Thompson to be assistant.

One of the most biased pundits i've ever witnessed, not just in favour of liverpool but also against any club he doesn't much like, of which one seems to be Villa so i'd be surprised if he came.

A truly insufferable individual and you can just tell from the other pundits on SS that he is very difficult to work with. Of course this is just conjecture, but in my opinion pretty accurate.

If Gerard really needs him to work at his best then I will get behind him as hard as that may prove.

Didn't I read that Kev Mac used to have Liverpool connections? They might be friendly already as a 3some. If Houllier and Thompson decide to give Villa a crack they must think they can push us on or they wouldn't bother trying.

If Houllier and Thompson decide to give Villa a crack they must think they can push us on or they wouldn't bother trying.

Either that or the couple of mill a year pay packet might be the motivation. In Pinochios case he won't be earning a lot for talking bollocks on sky sports so I'm sure he'll be more than happy to come to Villa and pick up a few thousand a week.

One of the most biased pundits i've ever witnessed, not just in favour of liverpool but also against any club he doesn't much like, of which one seems to be Villa so i'd be surprised if he came.

A truly insufferable individual and you can just tell from the other pundits on SS that he is very difficult to work with. Of course this is just conjecture, but in my opinion pretty accurate.

If Gerard really needs him to work at his best then I will get behind him as hard as that may prove.

I got to admit that right now I'm chanting, " Sit down Pinochio," but if Thompson is to be the new assistant I might change it to, Pinochio, Pinochio give us a wave." :lol:

Didn't I read that Kev Mac used to have Liverpool connections? They might be friendly already as a 3some. If Houllier and Thompson decide to give Villa a crack they must think they can push us on or they wouldn't bother trying.
i was wondering did Thompson and Kev Mac play together in there Liverpool days..all we need now is Staunton as our defensive coach :D ..

Any time Ive seen PT talk about Houllier he's always been very positive! I know it's only rumour but I think it could be a real possibility! That also being said he did talk Mons side when he left and was saying how we'd struggle to replace him. Whos knows?

i was wondering did Thompson and Kev Mac play together in there Liverpool days..all we need now is Staunton as our defensive coach :D ..

You know what? I've been with fran all along, but, when you start looking at the amount of silverware all these guys have between them I'm slowly starting to warm to the idea.

Only slowly mind.

What's more important? That we might sign a few shite Frenchmen or that we might win a few trophies? People seem hell-bent on criticising someone who wins things. It must be very therapeutic for them but Villa live in the real world and, if we get him, we will have hired above ourselves IMO.

Any time Ive seen PT talk about Houllier he's always been very positive! I know it's only rumour but I think it could be a real possibility! That also being said he did talk Mons side when he left and was saying how we'd struggle to replace him. Whos knows?

Find me a pundit who hasn't formally been associated with Villa that didn't take his side. Charlie Nicholas who I can usually tolerate called us fickle just last week on SS for 'turning' on MON.

They will always side with the pro rather than the fans, it's just the nature of the business and not wanting to get sued ;)

Like it or not, in the public eye we're a club that has overachieved in the past few seasons rather than a fantastic club back to where it should be. And the general public, along with alot of Villa fans themselves attribute that rightfully or wrongfully to MON.

That's just rumours atm, but that will not stop people slating him and it hasn't.

Phil Thomson as on numerous occasions shown contempt for Aston Villa during his media work. Last time being only a couple of weeks ago when discussing Aston Villa on Soccer Saturday when he said in a very condescending tone something a long the lines of " this is Aston Villa we are talking about they over achieved under Martin O'Neill and they need to remember that "

If people are happy to have a prick like Thomson at our football club then god help us.

may have to get on with it, but i agree with all you have said at the moment.

What's more important? That we might sign a few shite Frenchmen or that we might win a few trophies? People seem hell-bent on criticising someone who wins things. It must be very therapeutic for them but Villa live in the real world and, if we get him, we will have hired above ourselves IMO.

We aren't going to win trophies by signing shite Frenchmen because we don't have Owen, Gerrard and Carragher waiting for a team built around them. He had the makings of a title winning side there and failed to surround them with anywhere near the same level of talent.

Find me a pundit who hasn't formally been associated with Villa that didn't take his side. Charlie Nicholas who I can usually tolerate called us fickle just last week on SS for 'turning' on MON.

They will always side with the pro rather than the fans, it's just the nature of the business and not wanting to get sued ;)

Like it or not, in the public eye we're a club that has overachieved in the past few seasons rather than a fantastic club back to where it should be. And the general public, along with alot of Villa fans themselves attribute that rightfully or wrongfully to MON.

I agree! It's pretty sick that so called pundits don't do the proper research!

We aren't going to win trophies by signing shite Frenchmen because we don't have Owen, Gerrard and Carragher waiting for a team built around them. He had the makings of a title winning side there and failed to surround them with anywhere near the same level of talent.

You learn from your mistakes and if he hasn't then I'm sure there will be plenty of people to point that out.