Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with going through the kind of interview list process that Randy is currently undertaking is that if the right candidate isn't available for interview we may well end up settling for second best, as this kind of process may be deemed a failure without an appointment.

I hope we have also approached clubs for permission to talk to a manager of the right calibre and offered appropriate compensation. If we were unable to gain access to the "right" manager, I would rather we continue with KM and buy in some coaching help, while patiently waiting for the right manager to "make" himself available.

I am not sure this director of football thing will work here. I would love Houllier , but ONLY as MANAGER , not some figurehead type role where KM decides the tactics and the footballing philosophy. There will be too much overlap for it to work and neither KM or Houllier will be able to impose their philosophy on the team. The end result could be a right mess.

I am fervently hoping that Houllier is appointed as the manager without the DOF shenanigans. His last few years at the technical helm of French football will have given him sound knowledge about local players and academies and a few signings could raise the technical level of the team , making long ball football (MONs signature) redundant.

The problem with going through the kind of interview list process that Randy is currently undertaking is that if the right candidate isn't available for interview we may well end up settling for second best, as this kind of process may be deemed a failure without an appointment.

I hope we have also approached clubs for permission to talk to a manager of the right calibre and offered appropriate compensation. If we were unable to gain access to the "right" manager, I would rather we continue with KM and buy in some coaching help, while patiently waiting for the right manager to "make" himself available.

i believe the club have previously said that they dont want someone who is already employed at another club, therefore there is no-one they would be interested in who wouldnt be available for an interview.

i believe the club have previously said that they dont want someone who is already employed at another club, therefore there is no-one they would be interested in who wouldnt be available for an interview.

General denied that yesterday, said it was paper talk, even though the paper talk was based on something he said himself...

General denied that yesterday, said it was paper talk, even though the paper talk was based on something he said himself...

oh...

we havent really got a **** clue whats going on have we??? :lol:

ah well, at least its something to talk about instead of nrc... (especially on a saturday when there is no footy OR cricket on!)

I've heard a lot about GH buying foriegn players that flopped. So if they were English and flopped it would be ok would it? It seemed to be for MON. There is something slighty xenophobic in that attitude if you ask me.

His flop percentage was far far far higher than MON's.

I aggree, but alongside all those FLOPS were some gems, like all managers at any level of football - but the key thing is - MON had flops and won nowt, Houllier had flops and won 6 trophies in 6 years..........

not too mention his 5 major trophies in French Football

Yes, one thing is certain, under MON we played very attractive football all the time.

:shock:

:shock: seconded :P

Why the shock? I still can't get over all the cracking play I've seen from Villa in the last couple of seasons. The 1-0 v Hull away the season before last. The 0-1 v Liverpool last season, the 0-3 at Arsenal, the 0-0 at Spurs, both games against Wolves...

Scintillating, spectacular and breathtakingly brilliant from first to last.

Has anyone considered that we are getting Houllier who isn't fond of Carew and Staunton who probably isn't fond of Ireland. If Ireland gets put on the back burner, then Man Citeh have truely done us over and got Milner for £18m.

I spoke to Staunton over the summer in the Fox in shenstone and he was raving about how good Ireland was, and how upset he didnt want to carry on playing for the Republic...... so dont worry about that one

Whilst it appears to be a great idea to have a Director communicating directly with the fans I am beginning to doubt the wisdom of "airing our washing in full public gaze" - by that I mean, it is now evident that the press are wise to the General`s postings and using his comments as official club statements although General Krulak points out they are his thoughts and not those of the board.

On the other hand we have posters making derogatory comments on this site that they would not dream of making face to face to this individual. Furthermore I have lost count of the number of inane questions put to the forum - I sometimes doubt the intelligence of some of our fellow posters and so called Villa fans.

I think it may be prudent for the General to stop posting on here and H&V until the new management team is in place and for posters to get a sense of reality as to who we can attract as manager and to play for us.

I know that the General made that point, but I don't really understand the business ethics attached to that view.

If we want a to buy a player then we approach his current club during a transfer window, the rules are clearly in place.

There isn't a transfer window for managers and all the best managers by definition are gainfully employed. It is a business matter, and even if the timing is unfortunate we have to do the best for our club even if it affects another club.

We are in a managerless position unintentionally, but we still have the stature and financial muscle to solve this problem by correctly pursuing the best currently employed target, as well as considering those candidates currently out of a job.

Imo we have probably been in contact with representatives of both Moyes and Jol.

Yes, one thing is certain, under MON we played very attractive football all the time.

:shock:

:shock: seconded :P

Why the shock? I still can't get over all the cracking play I've seen from Villa in the last couple of seasons. The 1-0 v Hull away the season before last. The 0-1 v Liverpool last season, the 0-3 at Arsenal, the 0-0 at Spurs, both games against Wolves...

Scintillating, spectacular and breathtakingly brilliant from first to last.

I wasn't there but apparently last season Spurs fans at White Hart Line began chanting 'boring, boring Villa'. How embarrassing. :oops: :lol:

I've heard a lot about GH buying foriegn players that flopped. So if they were English and flopped it would be ok would it? It seemed to be for MON. There is something slighty xenophobic in that attitude if you ask me.

His flop percentage was far far far higher than MON's.

I aggree, but alongside all those FLOPS were some gems, like all managers at any level of football - but the key thing is - MON had flops and won nowt, Houllier had flops and won 6 trophies in 6 years..........

not too mention his 5 major trophies in French Football

Houllier took over a side that had finished 3rd and MON took over a side that had finished 17th.

Of course he's going to bloody win trophies if he's managing Liverpool or Lyon, doesn't make him a genius suddenly or make it likely he'd win anything at Villa. I suppose everyone bringing that up would have Houllier over Moyes because Moyes hasn't won anything?