Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

3. I don't know what that means - are you using an analogy ?

I think he's using a hypothetical situation much like your 3-0 loss. The point being that we didn't lose 3-0 and that it might have had something to do with how MacDonald set the team up personnel-wise and tactically, and that they're playing for him. The result and the manner of the result suggests that your hypothetical 3-0 loss is a moot point and exists only in fantasy.

No idea what you mean - all debate is by definition around 'moot points' - that what debates are !

I'll try to put it another way - is he saying this one win convinced him , or was Mcdonald already his favourite ?

Will the vie wchange if we look tactically inept and lose 3-0 in the next game ? Will he be an even more definite if we win 1-0, or will 2-0 make it even stronger ? What if we win but play crap ? What if we play great but get stuffed ?

I am trying to illustrate the folly, as I see it, of making judgements based in miniscule evidence (at this level)

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea what you mean - all debate is by definition around 'moot points' - that what debates are !

Not quite, they are usually about hypothetical events in the future. Not ones from the past which never happened.

I'm not saying the game made him my favourite for the job, the release price of Jol did that. I'm saying it affirms my view that Mac is going to do a good job should he get it (note that this hypothetical situation is in the future).

Not quite, they are usually about hypothetical events in the future. Not ones from the past which never happened.

I'm not saying the game made him my favourite for the job, the release price of Jol did that. I'm saying it affirms my view that Mac is going to do a good job should he get it (note that this hypothetical situation is in the future).

Sorry but debates can and often are about anything, from any time. In fact, a great deal of learning can be derived from debating events both as they did happen, and as if alternative events had occurred. If one only ever considers events as they did actually occur, one is ruling out valuable insight as to other alternative courses of events.

But I can't be bothered to debate was is and isn't a debate.

if w ecant get jol then i expect mac will get it. if not him it will be someone ine the calibre of curbishly: who isnt good enough for us at present

Out of interest, how is Curbishley not good enough but Mac is?

I suppose Curbishley is a known quantity, we've seen his limits. MacDonald is an unknown quantity, he might be crap, but he might be brilliant.

Well if thats the criteria im throwing my name in the hat as well.

I think he's using a hypothetical situation much like your 3-0 loss. The point being that we didn't lose 3-0 and that it might have had something to do with how MacDonald set the team up personnel-wise and tactically, and that they're playing for him. The result and the manner of the result suggests that your hypothetical 3-0 loss is a moot point and exists only in fantasy.

I'll try to put it another way - is he saying this one win convinced him , or was Mcdonald already his favourite ?

Will the vie wchange if we look tactically inept and lose 3-0 in the next game ? Will he be an even more definite if we win 1-0, or will 2-0 make it even stronger ? What if we win but play crap ? What if we play great but get stuffed ?

I am trying to illustrate the folly, as I see it, of making judgements based in miniscule evidence (at this level)

FWIW I 100% agree with you that making K-Mac the manager-elect after a single victory - especially one that could have been motivated (on the players' side) by giving MON the 2 fingers - is absolutely ludicrous. However, I do think that K-Mac's time at Villa and the success he has had in the lower levels does at least suggest that WHILE Randy is looking for a proper & deserving replacement for MON, that we are probably in safe hands in the interim.

If, during that interim, K-Mac turns out to be every bit as tactically astute as he has demonstrated in the reserves and if the results keep coming, I think there comes a point in the future (that we clearly aren't at yet) where he DOES become a viable proposition.

Going back to the 3-0 win v 3-0 defeat. We are off to a good start, not a bad one. And while people shouldn't draw conclusions in either direction, what I will say is he hasn't done himself any harm at all.

FWIW I 100% agree with you that making K-Mac the manager-elect after a single victory - especially one that could have been motivated (on the players' side) by giving MON the 2 fingers - is absolutely ludicrous. However, I do think that K-Mac's time at Villa and the success he has had in the lower levels does at least suggest that WHILE Randy is looking for a proper & deserving replacement for MON, that we are probably in safe hands in the interim.

If, during that interim, K-Mac turns out to be every bit as tactically astute as he has demonstrated in the reserves and if the results keep coming, I think there comes a point in the future (that we clearly aren't at yet) where he DOES become a viable proposition.

Going back to the 3-0 win v 3-0 defeat. We are off to a good start, not a bad one. And while people shouldn't draw conclusions in either direction, what I will say is he hasn't done himself any harm at all.

A very sensible comment on our current position. KM remaining in caretaker charge is a no lose situation imo. If he earns a permanent appointment then that's great. If on the other hand it is shown that we need to appoint a more experienced manager then hopefully by then a good candidate will have become available.

He is an easy man to like. KM speaks

He seems more confident and it looks like he's enjoying it more than a few days ago. :D

Although I did notice when asked whether he wanted the job permenantly he replied that he was enjoying working with the players and other coaching staff, which suggests to me their are certain aspects he is does not like... probably the media/ being in the public eye side of things.

He seems more confident and it looks like he's enjoying it more than a few days ago. :D

Although I did notice when asked whether he wanted the job permenantly he replied that he was enjoying working with the players and other coaching staff, which suggests to me their are certain aspects he is does not like... probably the media/ being in the public eye side of things.

Yeah I agree but he seemed to be enjoying much more this time. Besides, he could just do a Sir Alex and send his assistant to do it.

He's not going to say he definitely wants the job if the club are looking at other prospects, and if the club haven't properly spoken to him about it. I don't think he's that kind of man.

He's not going to say he definitely wants the job if the club are looking at other prospects, and if the club haven't properly spoken to him about it. I don't think he's that kind of man.

Exactly. That would be embarrassing.

"I would love to have this job!"

"You're not getting the job."

"Oh...."

Big turn in confidence suddenly it's as if he's been fielding questions from the media all his life. At 49 he's a very good age to take the reigns as a long term manager, Fergie was 46 when he took over United, Wenger 47 when he took over Arsenal.

Put it this way. If we manage to win convincingly at Rapid tomorrow with the squad he's picked, then he's even more tactically astute (and aware of the quality of his youngsters compared to our European opponents) than I thought he was. While in the process he will have rested key members of the first team for a very important game on Sunday.

If he pulls it off then I for one am going to be mightily impressed, and his stock surely must have risen, even if it's just ONE more game.

It's a risk picking a squad like that when you consider the significance of the game (MacDonald himself said it's very important we go through) and the fact that "his job is on the line" (if he wants it).

If he wants the job, then he should have it. He has served his apprenticeship and, with the quality of youngsters we have, probably earned the right to have a go.

My fear is that if he has the job and it goes pear shaped, then we lose one of the best coaches that the club has ever had.