Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aston Villa's search for a new manager rumbles on, but it won't include Ajax boss Martin Jol, who has ruled himself out of a move.

The former Spurs boss, who snubbed a move to Fulham last month, told Dutch paper Algemeen Dagblad that he wanted to stay as Ajax boss and lead them to the Dutch title.

"I want to play in the Champions League with Ajax and become champions of the Netherlands. So Villa have to wait therefore," he said.

Goal.com UK revealed last week that the Villa Park board had approached Jol for the position.

Meanwhile, former AZ boss Ronald Koeman has revealed that he is on a shortlist of managers to take over from Martin O'Neill who sensationally quit Villa Park last week, but hasn't had the call yet.

"I'm interested in the position of manager from Villa," he told NOS. "I know that I'm on the list of them. I don't know how many more candidates are on that list. But I haven't had contact yet with Villa."

Funny that. Just been on that newspapers website with a translator and cannot find that exact quote from Jol anywhere whatsoever. Even when I search Jol, it brings up other articles, including the draw with Kiev, and articles linking him to Villa. There is no article that I can find on that website that has those quotes.

Goal.com talking bullshit as usual. *Yawn*.

Also, Jol's odds have been halved by the bookies as of today. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have halved them if he had told a newspaper he wasn't interested now. Please stop citing goal.com as a valuable source. A valuable source of bugger all.

Also, Jol's odds have been halved by the bookies as of today. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have halved them if he had told a newspaper he wasn't interested now. Please stop citing goal.com as a valuable source. A valuable source of bugger all.
I hope you're right.

There just isn't anyone available who is anything approaching what we want. I think Kev Mac until Xmas is about the best option. Then if someone becomes available - he can either be assistant - or go back to coaching the reserves. This sort of reminds me of when Ellis sacked Barton, and a whole host of top names turned the job down - we ended up with the shrewsbury town manager - Graham Turner - who was a disaster !

Maybe he said it at tonights game?

He did i think

Why do you think that? Because goal.com used proper punctuation and said they were direct quotes?

Like I said, I've been on the reported newspaper he apparently said it to and can't find it anywhere. He's been interviewed after the draw with Kiev, where you think he said those specific quotes and they aren't anywhere to be seen. All that is there is Jol going on about how it is a good result to have drawn with Kiev.

I also find it particularly funny and interesting that goal.com are the only ones with this knowledge as no other website or media outlet has picked up on such damning remarks that rule Jol out of the Villa job, even the newspapers here and abroad that said we had made an approach.

If Jol has said this :-

"I want to play in the Champions League with Ajax and become champions of the Netherlands. So Villa have to wait therefore"

Then the key is "Villa have to wait". Didn't Randy say something about they might have to wait a year to get the right person in?

Could it possibly be that Jol wants to see how Ajax get on in the Champs League qualifiers before making his decision? So the "wait" he talks about is until the next round, rather than next season?

What's that saying?...."A drowning man will clutch at straws?"

I didn't link to the goal.com article because they didn't link to the Dutch newspaper article. So obviously it can all be BS. I wasn't going to link to Goal and help to give them any additional internet traffic. But if they are direct quoting people then they better be right. That kind of thing can get a website sued. Of course they can always use the old stand bye excuse and claim that they didn't translate the Dutch article correctly.