Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

All Villa sites. I'm just hoping that it isn't because he knows that an appointment is still a way off or that one is around the corner that isn't going to go down too well.

Its probably more to the abuse and general ungratefulness people have expressed to him.

He has always been for discussing the pros and cons and never shied away imo apart from when it comes to abuse that some fans have thrown at Randy for god knows what reason.

Abuse. Come of it Jez he is a man not a **** mouse. Sure the board have come in for a bit of stick, some justified some not, but nothing that he shouldn't be able to handle.

In all fairness he as given as good as he has got also.

Facts are we have not had a manager for four weeks, sold our best player, made one signing during the transfer window and in the opinion of many gone into the new season weaker than we finished the last one and added to that those around us have strengthened. Gone out of Europe at the first hurdle and been humiliated by a piss poor newly promoted side.

People are understandably a little pissed and the club shouldn't pass the buck for all that happening on the ex manager leaving. They have to take a fair share of the responsibility something for me the General has been somewhat unwilling to do.

I agree with a lot of that Mark.

Abuse towards Randy warranted then? Not questions and concerns but actual abuse that some numptys have come out with, that ok then?

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the sub theme of the General's temporary leave... I can't say it's that big of a deal. The thread is 99% sycophantic pandering to his ego or, at the opposite end of the scale, inane ranting.

The General never provides particularly good answers to the big questions, perhaps because he can't, and shouldn't. Fair enough. It's not a big loss if thats gone, unless people are desperate for placation to such an extent that having the General repeat 'We'll get the right man' for a month is enough. The big questions he either tended to avoid (he has recently point blank ignored some pertinent questions from a few members, and downright ignored a good post to him that was somewhat constructively critical by Risso, for instance) or simply not answer with anything other than PR, and at times recently has verged on the rather offensive to fans.

The more inane stuff, like problems experienced in the ground or with ticketing or so on, he was more useful, but thats such a small amount of the threads worth it's no great loss (and for the record, people, if theres an issue with tickets of any sort, call Nicky Keye, and tell her the General sent you).

I personally believe, even if his break is temporary, it's no great loss. He initially was here to smooth fan/owner relations, and has kept it up spinning the line the club would like, which sometimes is accurate and sometimes, I would consider, is a bit of a rosier outlook than it might otherwise be, for 4 years. His thread has probably served it's purpose.

I really appreciated the General's posts and hope they will be back soon.

Next time round the mods need to do a much better job of sifting out the lunatics, whingers and bad-grammar merchants

Few if any clubs have a channel directly into (and out of) the power base of the club - shame that we've lost that through the actions of a few

Maybe we need to introduce IQ tests before you qualify to post

and at times recently has verged on the rather offensive to fans.

Is this the infamous "viper" scandal? Or did he mention another word that posters seemed to dislike?

His thread had a purpose Chindie. Admittadly a lot of issues went through Nicky Keye, but there were also a lot of suggestions and complaints that Randy then passed on to whoever needed to know.

Abuse towards Randy warranted then? Not questions and concerns but actual abuse that some numptys have come out with, that ok then?

Not doubting what you are saying at all but I have not read every thread / post on the topic (contrary to popular opinion) so can you give some examples (perhaps with a link) to the posts you think have been abusive?

On the sub theme of the General's temporary leave... I can't say it's that big of a deal. The thread is 99% sycophantic pandering to his ego or, at the opposite end of the scale, inane ranting.

The General never provides particularly good answers to the big questions, perhaps because he can't, and shouldn't. Fair enough. It's not a big loss if thats gone, unless people are desperate for placation to such an extent that having the General repeat 'We'll get the right man' for a month is enough. The big questions he either tended to avoid (he has recently point blank ignored some pertinent questions from a few members, and downright ignored a good post to him that was somewhat constructively critical by Risso, for instance) or simply not answer with anything other than PR, and at times recently has verged on the rather offensive to fans.

The more inane stuff, like problems experienced in the ground or with ticketing or so on, he was more useful, but thats such a small amount of the threads worth it's no great loss (and for the record, people, if theres an issue with tickets of any sort, call Nicky Keye, and tell her the General sent you).

I personally believe, even if his break is temporary, it's no great loss. He initially was here to smooth fan/owner relations, and has kept it up spinning the line the club would like, which sometimes is accurate and sometimes, I would consider, is a bit of a rosier outlook than it might otherwise be, for 4 years. His thread has probably served it's purpose.

Next time round the mods need to do a much better job of sifting out the lunatics, whingers and bad-grammar merchants

Few if any clubs have a channel directly into (and out of) the power base of the club - shame that we've lost that through the actions of a few

Yes, let's have some censorship. Heaven forbid that we allow free speech!!

So MON gone, the money drying up, the general gone - its all a bit like the end of new labour !

Oh god... You're right. It sure is a far cry from the feelgood factor we had when oneill arrived with Lerner and co.

his Vipers comment wasn't out of turn at all anyway. You only need to look at some of the comments from about page 80 upwards to see that.

Some people just think everything in the past few years counts for not a lot when the shit hits the fan and MoN walked out.

I believe they wanted to get in touch with as many managers with the pedigree the fans want as possible. But I fear many of them wouldn't want to come, OR we weren't given permission.

From what I have read we haven't even been able to speak to Moyes, let alone interview him.

Houllier is the best of an average bunch of options, so if that is the situation then that is what needs to happen.

the ONLY 2 alternatives is to offer KMac the job permanently or get him in until January and work until then to get a top notch manager.

his Vipers comment wasn't out of turn at all anyway. You only need to look at some of the comments from about page 80 upwards to see that.

Some people just think everything in the past few years counts for not a lot when the shit hits the fan and MoN walked out.

I believe they wanted to get in touch with as many managers with the pedigree the fans want as possible. But I fear many of them wouldn't want to come, OR we weren't given permission.

From what I have read we haven't even been able to speak to Moyes, let alone interview him.

Houllier is the best of an average bunch of options, so if that is the situation then that is what needs to happen.

the ONLY 2 alternatives is to offer KMac the job permanently or get him in until January and work until then to get a top notch manager.

Yes, let's have some censorship. Heaven forbid that we allow free speech!!

Id be all for some censorship. As the thread says, its a special thread with special rules. Free speech still exists on the forum (unless the mods say otherwise :D )

No other club (that im aware of) has access to someone as high up as this and if you look back through the thread i believe enough benefit has been gained for it to be deemed more than a pr stunt.

It was a nice touch for a while.

I think your criticism of the mods there belies a bit of a lack of understanding. It's one of the more popular threads going and one that lends itself to some of the less... understanding shall we say, posters having a bit of a rant. Which in turn leads to the unwarranted discussion of different issues that arise which in turn needs clearing up. Along with running the rest of the site. The mods have lives off the site and do this for nothing, I don't think they can be expected to vet the entirety of any posting in the thread.

Asides from which, they shouldn't do that anyway. The thread shouldn't be heavily censored, the General shouldn't be protected from the rough and only get the smooth.

And any heavy censorship by the mods only opens them up to accusations of bias and so on... it's just not worthwhile. They do a good job, and can't be expected to do much more I don't think.

Man Citeh have a similar thing going, for the record, iirc, if not as regular a feature.

s this the infamous "viper" scandal? Or did he mention another word that posters seemed to dislike?

His thread had a purpose Chindie. Admittadly a lot of issues went through Nicky Keye, but there were also a lot of suggestions and complaints that Randy then passed on to whoever needed to know.

I was thinking more along the lines of his rather petulant outburst that suggested if we sold some more tickets we'd be more successful. Uncalled for in my view.

Yes it had a purpose but some of it was so minor and didn't really need a board member doing it. The fact he's now buggered off because of a rather naive overlooking of what his comments might become in an open forum with media sniffing, and, imo, because the backlash is something he's not keen on from this month long shambles (he's never taken criticism that well imo), suggests that the purpose of the thread is over, and the minor benefit underneath all the other rubbish is perhaps not worthwhile.

Perhaps a variant of the idea, with less of a board member and instead a liason, that has no link to the top level and only provides a place for critiques of ticketing/ground/match day experience might be more worthwhile?

I think the General's thread is worthwhile as, if you look back there was some good input from fans and some good answers to questions.

VillaCas - I do think that, whilst what you say to an extent is true, the posts were a vent of frustration and that it was to be expected. You can't blame fans for that as such. I also think the General was getting frustrated as can be seen in some of his posts as well.

His decision to not post whilst the issues are being resolved are for the best as the thread was going round in circles and his job was becoming messy.

Hope he comes back at some point anyway.

Not doubting what you are saying at all but I have not read every thread / post on the topic (contrary to popular opinion) so can you give some examples (perhaps with a link) to the posts you think have been abusive?

It's probably not hard to find Richard.

The sequence is as follows:

- Someone asks Gen a question

- Gen answers as well as he can without giving confidential info

- Someone picks on the wording he's used/ asks the same question again

- Gen has to repeat what has already been said

- Gen then get's insulted for dodging questions

Or, you might not have seen a few of the posts that have been deleted by mods.

Asides from which, they shouldn't do that anyway. The thread shouldn't be heavily censored, the General shouldn't be protected from the rough and only get the smooth.

that depends on how the rough is presented,

if it's

Not too happy about person X being interviewed for the position, it will be very bad for the club if that happens

fair enough

if it's

General, Randy is letting the club go down the swanny interviewing X, it will be a disgrace if he is appointed and he should sell the club to someone who gives a shit

should be removed and posted to Jeremy Kyle.