Barry Bannan

villianusa

My example of Wigan having 15 attempts to clear the ball is clearly an exaggeration. An exaggeration of the same magnitude as your comparison to Mata. However, the major difference is it is obvious I am being tongue in cheek whereas you are being very serious.

Once again you are taking incredibly small sample sizes to try to prove your ridiculous point. Take 4 years of comparisons and Bannan would not be worthy of even cleaning Mata's shoes. However, you take a few games where Bannan has been told to be the main man (and failed) and Mata has been played out of his position and not to his strengths in the slightest. You're not stupid Con, and I think if you were reading what you wrote from a neutral point of view you would probably scoff at the suggestions you are making.

However, I'm glad to read you have slightly reduced your expectations of Bannan. However, you are still clearly quite deluded. He is Championship standard... this is why he might be able to get assists in that division... because the defending is incredibly lax... as witnessed on Saturday by the appaulling defending from those woeful corners he put in.

One thing I will say, the discussion on Juan Mata has also got me thinking that Bannan's game might not be where the league is heading.

Mata has 2 assists in 13 appearances. Bannan has 1 goal and 1 assist in 13 games. Mata has 14 tackles, Bannan 13. Neither are strong at the high press.

I am beginning to think they would both be better off in Spain, but there is still the rest of the season to go before I make my mind up on this.

It's because football is about more than stats.

We've been telling you this for over a year. I genuinely don't think you watch football. You just fire up whoscored.com after every game and base your opinion on that.

url-71.gif

"I don't even see the code"

• Like 3

According to whoscored he has played attacking midfield position only once this season. That was his third best game. He's been played on the left of midfield twice - those were his best two games.

He's been played on the right of midfield (not ideal for a left-footer) 4 times and played in CM 6 times. It's fair to say he's got his goal and assists whilst not been regularly played in his best position.

Palace must play Puncheon on the left and as for ACM they just don't use one.

so all Bannan's assists aren't proper assists and don't count?

This is rather familiar.  Last year Bannan was providing all these key passes and people were saying "they're not proper key passes, it's assists what count." 

Now, he's giving key passes and assists whilst being played out of position 85% of his games and it's still not good enough.

Who said they don't count? The point was that his assists have come from set pieces where his position isn't a factor.

The only reason I described them was because its amusing to point out how shit both of the corners were. They still count though.

That's 3 in the last 2 seasons, just like Mata...

Con there is a massive difference between Bannan playing well and his 3rd best game etc...

His best game and he still sucked. I think what you are asking for is Pulis to build his team around Bannan so then he will have 2 goals and 4 assists to brag about at the ens of the season.

There's only two problems with that though.

1. Palace would be relegated

2. Bannan is in no way shape or size good enough to be able to build a team around.

Sorry mate but he sucks and is Championship material (because Championship teams can't defend corners, as witnessed on Saturday).

Both of his assists are resulting from improperly defended under hit corners. He could have been playing in goal and if he was on corner taking duty they'd still have happened.

Excellent point.

Reminds me of how Sidwell's best moment at Villa was when he was warming up and got an assist for getting the ball back for a throw so quickly.

Con there is a massive difference between Bannan playing well and his 3rd best game etc...

His best game and he still sucked. I think what you are asking for is Pulis to build his team around Bannan so then he will have 2 goals and 4 assists to brag about at the ens of the season.

There's only two problems with that though.

1. Palace would be relegated

2. Bannan is in no way shape or size good enough to be able to build a team around.

Sorry mate but he sucks and is Championship material (because Championship teams can't defend corners, as witnessed on Saturday).

Based on your assessment Juan Mata is "Championship material."

Both Mata and Bannan have been played out of position. When that happens even world class players like Mata struggle.

Fact that Bannan has had his best season so far in goals and assists shows there is more to come from him.

Palace fans know this. I'm sorry we sold him but I'm not going to be bitter and rubbish his performances for another team.