Barry Bannan

villianusa

Same shit different day.

I'm so bored of proving Con's stats to be irrelevant and highly misleading.

Points per game is the most irrelevant stay in the whole world yet its the only thing Con has left to argue with and even that went from THE best player to ONE of the best players in a matter of days. So volatile and doesn't take into account Bannan's personal woeful performances.

Best crosses includes crosses that bounce out for goalkicks and go straight into keepers arms. Awesome.

More points from Bannan playing over Westwood? Please. Do me a favour. How many balls like the one at Norwich had Bannan done? How many corners have we scored from Bannan's?

Westwood, a league one player is going from strength to strength whilst Bannan is going the direct opposite direction. To think they are the same skill level because they may have similar stats on Football Manager is plain madness.

I can see Bannan joining Palace now... it makes sense. And I can't wait to see the analysis on his win ratio at the end is the season.

He won't join Palace, although the Holloway link is plausible. He might have interested Zola at Watford if they had gone up. If he goes to a Premier League club, I'm betting Cardiff. They have ex-Villa Peter Wittingham. Good experienced player now, ex-academy product. Could mentor Bannan. Scottish manager, McKay. Plus he'd be in Wales, in case he now has a thing about the English not liking him.

Yes possibly Cardiff. He would also fit into Swansea's style of football quite nicely. Whittingham has done well since leaving us. I know he lost his form the backend of last season but hes regularly been there best player and has a good goalscoring record. I think Oneill was wrong to let him go. 

Bannan would fit perfectly in Wigan's midfield. That way when he gets tackled in his own half turning the same way.... again.... it won't stand out as they are all giving the ball away stupidly. Also running around in circles when defending he will slot right in.

He won't join Palace, although the Holloway link is plausible. He might have interested Zola at Watford if they had gone up. If he goes to a Premier League club, I'm betting Cardiff. They have ex-Villa Peter Wittingham. Good experienced player now, ex-academy product. Could mentor Bannan. Scottish manager, McKay. Plus he'd be in Wales, in case he now has a thing about the English not liking him.

Bannan will join Hull.....................Hull Kingston Rovers that is. They have noted His floaty style corners & decided he will be the perfect for taking all their conversions next season.

The only snag is we have to pay Hull KR to take the useless clearing in the woods away because they know he isn't worth tuppence!

. Plus he'd be in Wales, in case he now has a thing about the English not liking him.

First it was VT, then Villa fans, now the whole of England. Who next?

I can't remember what I said, but I meant to start the count after Bannan's last game against Liverpool. We had 2 lost and 2 drawn games in the final 7 games. Wow, what a first XI. Impressive, because it was under pressure but still only 8 points in 7.

That's not even the best run we had this season. We had 9 points in 7 from Man Utd (home) to Liverpool away: W 2 D 3 L 2. Believe it not, Bannan started those matches.

Ironically our very best period was 12 pt in 7 from Reading (away) to Sunderland (home): W 4 D1 L 2. Ironic because Bannan started 2 of these wins.

3 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses makes 11 points according to my old math teacher. And 4 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses makes 13, he says.

But really, this proves nothing. You can't build up all your opinons on stats. Stats are so dodgy as they don't show the whole picture. Especially not the stats you're showing here.

I don't mind Bannan. He ran the show against united when we drew 2-2 at home about two years ago. He's done well in parts and I really don't think he's been as bad as so many on here thinks. But he hasn't been all that this season. A few good games, plenty of ad ones. Just like most of our players.

I'm reminded of something Brian Little used to say, when judging a player - he said that he would look at their bad points and decide if he could tolerate that in his team.

With Bannan he's definitely a gifted player. He can pass well, he's got good feet and he works hard. What's let him down massively this season is his judgement as to when to try an ambitious pass, and when to just retain possession by playing it simple. Mistakes in judgement that have put us in danger too often.

Obviously his corner taking attracted a lot of negative comment, and fair enough he's not really delivered from corners and free kicks as he is capable of.

I'm not sure whether he's blown his chance, but if he hasn't, then he's a lucky so and so.

• Like 2

I'm reminded of something Brian Little used to say, when judging a player - he said that he would look at their bad points and decide if he could tolerate that in his team.

With Bannan he's definitely a gifted player. He can pass well, he's got good feet and he works hard. What's let him down massively this season is his judgement as to when to try an ambitious pass, and when to just retain possession by playing it simple. Mistakes in judgement that have put us in danger too often.

Obviously his corner taking attracted a lot of negative comment, and fair enough he's not really delivered from corners and free kicks as he is capable of.

I'm not sure whether he's blown his chance, but if he hasn't, then he's a lucky so and so.

See I don't think he's put us in danger that often, he's put us in danger as much as the likes of Westwood, Sylla and Delph have. Fair enough the boy had a stinker against Liverpool, but over the course of the season no mistake really stands out. I remember 1 against Reading which didn't lead to a goal and that's it really. I think his decision for when to go long has improved dramatically but as you say, still needs work.

Ultimately the failure for Bannan is he doesn't suite the philosophy and style of play we adopted. Although we do play attractive football at times, we are very much a dynamic athletic team. Bannan isn't really athletic is he? His strengths is his passing, and his crossing. I think in a team like Swansea, being apart of a midfield 3 and a team which play total football, Bannan will thrive. If not, Bannan can do a job out wide, if a team has 1) a marauding full back and 2) often bosses possession and has a relatively slow build up.  

• Like 1

Some footballers need to be loved. He's not universally liked at Villa. A lot of people of this forum think hes crap, although most of my supporter friends who have watched him come through the levels think hes a really talented player. I think he has more natural ability than Ashley Westwood but that doesn't count for everything.  I hope he finds a club that will love him and he does really well because i do rate him as a player. I think he has a little bit of the Alex Cropley about him and hes one of my all time fav players.

• Like 1

Can see him going Celtic actually. Supports them aswell of course.

That would offer Bannan Champions League football, but wouldn't he earn more in the Premier League with the new TV deal?

That would offer Bannan Champions League football, but wouldn't he earn more in the Premier League with the new TV deal?

First thing first, there is no such thing as the Premier League. There is an SPL and there is the PL but no Premier League.

As for him earning more in the PL that would depend on him securing a move to a PL club and I'm not sure that is all that likely.

Personally I couldn't give a monkey's toss where Bannan ends up just so long as he is not at Villa Park. The guy is ******* useless!

A tad harsh. For me he's better than Herd, Albrighton , Ireland and El Ahmakdhi . He's behind Delph Sylla and Westwood though

• Like 1

Personally I couldn't give a monkey's toss where Bannan ends up just so long as he is not at Villa Park. The guy is ******* useless!

A tad harsh. For me he's better than Herd, Albrighton , Ireland and El Ahmakdhi . He's behind Delph Sylla and Westwood though

Tad harsh? A bit hypocritical of you if you remember your comments in the Richard Dunne thread.

First thing first, there is no such thing as the Premier League. There is an SPL and there is the PL but no Premier League.

Please. Talk about being needlessly pedantic.

Please. Talk about being needlessly pedantic.

You are technically right (which, according to Futurama, is the BEST kind of right) but everybody outside of the UK calls it the Premier League so as not to be confused.

After all, I used to play in the Premier League when I was younger - but not the Premier League.