Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

If I put this in (boring) accounting terms, the initial outlay would be capital expenditure, with the subsequent wages classing as revenue expenditure. Upon disposal of said asset, only capitalised expenditure is considered against the proceeds in calculating the net loss or gain.

Ergo, wages are not relevant.

Edit - If you want to be really anal about it, you could argue that 2 years out of his 4 year contract have passed, hence these costs would have already been amortised, leaving his net value at £6m, with a £14m profit.

Ah I see. Picks up coat and abacus before leaving the room.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answer me this then Brommy...why is it that Liverpool seem to think they can **** us about, yet pay other teams whatever they want?

They obviously dont respect us, for whatever reason.

It shouldn't take more than 2 minutes to email a polite 'thanks, but no thanks', or even an impolite 'jog on', response to any bid from any club, so I don't see how any club can '**** us about' is this respect or how it's worth commenting about.

Its not taken 2 minutes though has it. This has been rumbling on for nearly a month now with no signs of it coming to an end. Unless of course Liverpool offer us what we want. Which is unlikely. Hence '**** us about'

Not nearly a month full time though! 2 minutes to respond to each bid then get on with other stuff in between. Not signing a deal yet doesn't mean we haven't been working on other things than replying to Liverpool.

Wouldnt be so sure about that. I think that alot of the business we do this summer will depend on what happens to Downing. How can we do anything else (apart from GK) when we still dont know if one of our supposedly better players will eventually be sold off in this window? We need contingency plans in place should that happen. IMO, its in the clubs best interests to sell now so that we can get a hefty sum of money, know where we stand and can actually go out and do something about it.

And if we are 'working' on something else then i suggest we work a little bit harder because as it stands we are one team of only 3 in the PL who havent signed anybody - and this is a squad that needs some serious tweeking let me tell you, regardless of Downing leaving.

If I put this in (boring) accounting terms, the initial outlay would be capital expenditure, with the subsequent wages classing as revenue expenditure. Upon disposal of said asset, only capitalised expenditure is considered against the proceeds in calculating the net loss or gain.

Ergo, wages are not relevant.

Edit - If you want to be really anal about it, you could argue that 2 years out of his 4 year contract have passed, hence these costs would have already been amortised, leaving his net value at £6m, with a £14m profit.

Ah I see. Picks up coat and abacus before leaving the room.

Apologies, that really was exceptionally boring stuff.

Answer me this then Brommy...why is it that Liverpool seem to think they can **** us about, yet pay other teams whatever they want?

It shouldn't take more than 2 minutes to email a polite 'thanks, but no thanks', or even an impolite 'jog on', response to any bid from any club, so I don't see how any club can '**** us about' is this respect or how it's worth commenting about.

Its not taken 2 minutes though has it. This has been rumbling on for nearly a month now with no signs of it coming to an end. Unless of course Liverpool offer us what we want. Which is unlikely. Hence '**** us about'

Well, if you will believe the bullshit in the press...

For all we know, McLeish could have told Liverpool to "go **** themselves with a rusty spade".

Do you think the press know any better? And if so, when dealing with clubs that are not managed by a media whoring candle face, how can they?

We should command another season out of him and capitaliase next season if he still wants to go. We are desperate for quality in our team for damage limitation next season and Downing is one of our very few experienced bit of quality in the team.

I expect this is what our club intends. The only variation being a formal transfer request and/or a very large bid from any club (£22m+???). I can't see either of these happening so it looks like Downing will stay for now.

I'm surprised more people can't see the similarity with the Barry saga. Villa got another year's good service from Barry.

I expect this is what our club intends. The only variation being a formal transfer request and/or a very large bid from any club (£22m+???). I can't see either of these happening so it looks like Downing will stay for now.

I'm surprised more people can't see the similarity with the Barry saga. Villa got another year's good service from Barry.

And this is what should happen, even if a transfer request comes in just ask him out right "if we say no are you still going to put 100% in every performance?" and then politely reject it.

I have no doubt that Downing will play his heart out next season if hes still playing for us so thats exactly what we should do.

McDouche is saying all the right things, if he follows up with what he is saying and makes him stay it will go a long way in me gaining some kind of respect for him.

Talksport ?????? :winkold:

I said reliable....

Would you have preferred me to put ITK?

The info is from the Same guy that told me Hogg was starting against Man Utd last season (which also got shot down at the time) so no reason to doubt him.

Well, if you will believe the bullshit in the press...

For all we know, McLeish could have told Liverpool to "go **** themselves with a rusty spade".

Do you think the press know any better? And if so, when dealing with clubs that are not managed by a media whoring candle face, how can they?

Ive not said i believe anything in the press. But anyways...

The part ive underlined - why dont Liverpool just leave us alone if thats the case. Surely if we told them to **** off they would move onto other targets instead of keep coming in with shitty bids that we arent gonna accept? (I dont think it can be argued that they arent)

Ive not said i believe anything in the press. But anyways...

The part ive underlined - why dont Liverpool just leave us alone if thats the case. Surely if we told them to **** off they would move onto other targets instead of keep coming in with shitty bids that we arent gonna accept? (I dont think it can be argued that they arent)

I think its a bit harsh to criticise our club for the way that Plop behave.

I suspect you could label the same criticism at Daniel Levy for the Modric debacle?

Eh?? Where have i criticised the club??? Apart from a few pages back saying that Liverpool think we are soft touches, but that wasnt me directly criticizing our club.

Alot of uptight people on here lately!!

After some of the shit some people are flinging at the board lately i find it laughable that you pull me up on that.

according to yahoo:

Liverpool's £18.5 million bid for downing accepted.

So "we wont accept anything less than 20m" then?

Tbf it's a great price for a player of his ability.

Milner - Bought for 12m, sold for 26m

Young - Bought for 9.65m, sold for 18m

Downing - Bought for 12m, sold for 18.5m

Not bad business really, all things considered.

according to yahoo:

of course its bad business. because we havent replaced any of them with better players and have thus gone backwards

in what world could that be considered good business ?

not that we've agreed to sell Downing for 18.5m of course

according to yahoo:

of course its bad business. because we havent replaced any of them with better players and have thus gone backwards

It's good in a purely business sense. Three players wanted to go, and we got good prices for them. Never forget that people laughed at the time for the fees we paid for all three.

according to yahoo:

It's good in a purely business sense. Three players wanted to go, and we got good prices for them. Never forget that people laughed at the time for the fees we paid for all three.

Thats crazy, if Downing goes we will have sold three England internationals!! How in any warped sense can that be good?????

Having players on the pitch is what wins things, no prizes for cash in the bank.

Sometimes I am amazed!!!! :shock:

Thats crazy, if Downing goes we will have sold three England internationals!! How in any warped sense can that be good?????

Having players on the pitch is what wins things, no prizes for cash in the bank.

:bang:

Only in a BUSINESS sense was it a good thing. Of course for the squad it isnt. I'm saying we didnt get fleeced by these players leaving. They didnt leave on frees like many stars have done at other clubs. When a player wants out then all you can do as a club is get the most money you can for him. We have done that three times with these players.

im sure i heard yesterday liverpool havent made a 2nd bid for him after 15 million was rejected.

For me i think this transfer is gone until he puts in transfer request and i expect him here 1st game of season and then i expect a Liverpool panic bid of about 40 million on deadline day.

:bang:

Only in a BUSINESS sense was it a good thing. Of course for the squad it isnt. I'm saying we didnt get fleeced by these players leaving. They didnt leave on frees like many stars have done at other clubs. When a player wants out then all you can do as a club is get the most money you can for him. We have done that three times with these players.

It could be good for the squad if the money is re-invested well and we buy the next two Milner/Young/Downing from the proceeds of the sale of one. Arguably the Milner money was used to buy Bent - a player that we have wanted/needed for a long time. We need to see what is done with the Young, and possibly Downing, proceeds.

We also need to recognise where we are in the footballing hierarchy and what this means for the squad/holding on to our best players. This is an unfortunate reality but, if its going to make you angry, I would suggest that you stop following football because it is unlikely to change in the near future. We just have to get on with and try and progress the club (slowly I suspect).

Â