Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Darren Bent must be thinking why the **** did I leave Sunderland, but then again, is probably enjoying the few extra bob. Our team as it stands now, is abysmal. It'll take more than Charle N'Zogbia to make us competetive in the top 8. Right now, we're relegation battle material.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of our fans really are thick. Top 5 club comes calling + big money + player wants to leave to go to said club + player won't sign a new contract = Sell for a big fee. It really isn't that hard to figure out...

Yeah, some fans can see the iceburg approaching the Titanic that is Asont Villa, and thinking "oh, thats good, I'd like ice in my drink".

Is there any club in the prem where contracts are so easilly torn up as Villa under Lerner? At least O Neill fought against this policy, which is why we have a ginger relegation maestro at the helm now.

this tops milner and barry combined for me. barry gave us 10 years, milner i actually think was worse than barry but if we hadnt signed him from newcastle someone else would have and the same thing would have happened to them.

we bought downing when no one else wanted him, and paid a lot for him. we effectively wasted a season's worth of wages on him, because he was never fully fit and sharp once he came back from injury. he has a season playing very well (or lets face it, best of an underperforming bunch) and first sniff of interest from a team not even in europa league and hes off.

i know, liverpool will always be a massive club but theres no guarantee that they will be back in the big time at the end of this season.

hope petrov breaks your leg again, you word removed

So you would think that after selling Ashley Young for 16 Million and Downing for 20. Plus 10 Million from RL we have at Least 50 Million to spend....!

YES 50 MILLION.....!

Loan signings it is then.................!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey.

I really don't understand this. We don't need to sell him, reject his transfer request. He needs to play well next season to get in the Euro squad. Why didn't we just do what we did with Barry the first summer? He has two years on his contract! I have been behind the board all the way until McLeish, I completely understood Young going...but this?

We're waving the white flag here. I thought Downing owed us at least another season but he had other ideas. No amount of club PR bullshit can spin this.

The guys hands in a transfer request, he don't wanna be at villa anymore, we get offered 20mill for a player with less ability than A. Young - can you blame the board.

Anyone want to get perspective as to where villa are as a club, last time I checked we were winning **** all. Better players always move to bigger clubs. Players come and go, but the club is always there. We will have a new star player who will come and go - it's the cycle of football.

My main concern is not Downing leaving (Ash much bigger loss) but how and where any funds will be spent. I'm not overly optimistic on the potential replacements Mcleish is going to bring in. Some of the names being banded about are just plain scary.

Why did mcleish tell fans that we'd only sell downing for stupid money. He either made it up on the spot or he'd been told this by the board, either way it's another mess.

I know many on here didn't like Mon but under him we were a respected team pushing the top 4. Pretty much since the moment he left every single aspect of our club has looked nothing short of shambolic.

The randy Lerner dream keeps fading and fading away.

Â