Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I think we'd be silly not to accept a bid that got somewhere close to £20m, for a player that clearly now wants to go.

Same.

It's just steady investment back into the team.

We bought Downing for £12m, if we can get £20m for him then we can buy someone like N'Zogbia and a player like Parker.

N'Zogbia & Parker > Downing

I would hope we would get those two regardless of the Downing issue, we still have to replace those already lost.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, i think that Liverpool see our board as soft touches. They think that they can **** us around to such an extent that we will eventually buckle and accept their pitifull offers.

Can you point toward any evidence of our board accepting 'pitifull' offers from Liverpool which could lead them to think our board were a soft touch? In recent years I can only remember Liverpool's low offers for Barry, which were strongly rejected by our board.

No i cant. Just going on the tweets and stuff on the previous pages. Like i said though - which incidentally you didnt include in your post - was that i doubted they were true. But if it were id be unhappy. Thats all im saying.

We will see.

Just heard from a reliable source that Liverpool HAVE come back with an improved offer and we HAVE accepted it. Downing will be talking to them today or tomorrow.

Will post more if i hear anything.

And sorry will be off line for the next hour or so as still at work.

Good riddance i say!

My guy told me about the new bid yesterday but will not tell me if it has been accepted or not, sure he only phones me to gloat.

Is your guy the same as mine? :lol:

Ex manager ????

Just heard from a reliable source that Liverpool HAVE come back with an improved offer and we HAVE accepted it. Downing will be talking to them today or tomorrow.

Good riddance i say!

My guy told me about the new bid yesterday but will not tell me if it has been accepted or not, sure he only phones me to gloat.

Ex manager ????

Talksport ?????? :winkold:

Good riddance i say!

Ex manager ????

:bonk:

Good riddance i say!

Ex manager ????

:bonk:

Are you seriously calling me mad for calling you out on this.....please!

There are only 2 people on this board who I believe are ITK, the rest are a joke until otherwise proven. Im not calling you a liar BTW, but information is rarely correct as all but a few people know the truth. If as you say he is an ex-manager I doubt he knows any more than you or I.

Dont get me wrong, I love a good supposed ITK story (wish the mods would bring the thread back) , just dont be surprised if many on here are skeptics!

Or maybe I was just commenting on the "Good Riddance I say" in the post I actually quoted?? Did you read that bit or do you open your mouth only to change feet?

There are a number of such posts on here which I find hard to fathom considering he was last years player of the year.

If you were commenting on ONE post from ONE poster then why put 'fans' ? Plural?

Because although I referenced the post above, I stated in my response above that there are more than one post of that ilk on here.

Do you have anything else to do but pick apart semantics?

I've picked up a general rule with regards to transfer rumours.

Ones you don't want to be true are true and ones you do want to be true are true.

Simple.

So every rumour is true? :confused:

I've picked up a general rule with regards to transfer rumours.

Ones you don't want to be true are true and ones you do want to be true are true.

Simple.

So every rumour is true? :confused:

Ha ha, yep the rags are spot on every time.

Allow me to correct that.

Ones you don't want to be true are true and ones you do want to be true are not true.

Answer me this then Brommy...why is it that Liverpool seem to think they can **** us about, yet pay other teams whatever they want?

They obviously dont respect us, for whatever reason.

It shouldn't take more than 2 minutes to email a polite 'thanks, but no thanks', or even an impolite 'jog on', response to any bid from any club, so I don't see how any club can '**** us about' is this respect or how it's worth commenting about.

As Downing cost the club £12m to buy and has subsequently been paid around £2.6m per year in wages (guessing he's on around £50,000 p.w) that equates to a total outlay on Downing of £17.2m.

So if we sold the lad for the supposed asking price of £20m then that leaves a profit of only £2.8m. Really not worth the club selling as it would cost at least £15m to buy an adequate replacement for the lad.

I think if Liverpool want him then the MINIMUM we need to be asking is £25m. Thus keeping the money men happy and leaving enough funds for a replacement.

Im still think we won't be selling. Am's comments in the Brum Mail indicate that nothing new has developed and that Downing to be fair to him is jut getting on with it and training hard.

Things would only change iF Liverpool offer a 'realistic' amount of £22million plus...and lets be honest the words Liverpool and realistic don't really go together.

As Downing cost the club £12m to buy and has subsequently been paid around £2.6m per year in wages (guessing he's on around £50,000 p.w) that equates to a total outlay on Downing of £17.2m.

So if we sold the lad for the supposed asking price of £20m then that leaves a profit of only £2.8m.

And the 2.6M per year in wages

So if we sold the lad for the supposed asking price of £20m then that leaves a profit of only £2.8m. Really not worth the club selling as it would cost at least £15m to buy an adequate replacement for the lad.

I think if Liverpool want him then the MINIMUM we need to be asking is £25m. Thus keeping the money men happy and leaving enough funds for a replacement.

If I put this in (boring) accounting terms, the initial outlay would be capital expenditure, with the subsequent wages classing as revenue expenditure. Upon disposal of said asset, only capitalised expenditure is considered against the proceeds in calculating the net loss or gain.

Ergo, wages are not relevant.

Edit - If you want to be really anal about it, you could argue that 2 years out of his 4 year contract have passed, hence these costs would have already been amortised, leaving his net value at £6m, with a £14m profit.

Answer me this then Brommy...why is it that Liverpool seem to think they can **** us about, yet pay other teams whatever they want?

It shouldn't take more than 2 minutes to email a polite 'thanks, but no thanks', or even an impolite 'jog on', response to any bid from any club, so I don't see how any club can '**** us about' is this respect or how it's worth commenting about.

Its not taken 2 minutes though has it. This has been rumbling on for nearly a month now with no signs of it coming to an end. Unless of course Liverpool offer us what we want. Which is unlikely. Hence '**** us about'

Its not taken 2 minutes though has it. This has been rumbling on for nearly a month now with no signs of it coming to an end. Unless of course Liverpool offer us what we want. Which is unlikely. Hence '**** us about'

Not nearly a month full time though! 2 minutes to respond to each bid then get on with other stuff in between. Not signing a deal yet doesn't mean we haven't been working on other things than replying to Liverpool.

I'm already completely disillusioned by the managerial appointment, allowing our best team asset to leave would be the nail in the coffin though hardly suprising.

No amount of money will make up for the return on performance we can expect from downing next season and I can almost guarantee any amount offered will not equal the value of a good season performance + the transfer fee of 1 year remaining so we are always onto a loser letting Downing go.

We should command another season out of him and capitaliase next season if he still wants to go. We are desperate for quality in our team for damage limitation next season and Downing is one of our very few experienced bit of quality in the team.

Â