Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

If we are to sell, then thats the figure i would be happy with £8m profit on a players who has had 1 good season is not bad, and if liverpool can afford £20m on Henderson, they can afford £20m on downing

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We paid his salary while nursing him back to health....gave him all the time he needed to make a full recovery, and were patient with him when he wasn't particularly good for the first few months he came back.

This defection is worse than Barry, Milner or Young. SD can f*ck right off, I hope he rots on the bench like Milner.

With Young and Downing going, the board better move fast and get some quality in.

P.S.

**** you, Stu

what an absolute tosser if he leaves no **** loyalty these days atleast young stuck around.

players these days dont think they owe anything to their club.

They are just employees/staff who go to 'work' to earn a very good living!

I would be amazed if we sold him for 20M after AM's comments last night because it would be professional suicide to back track on comments made less than 24 hours before to an initial fan meet and greet?

We paid his salary while nursing him back to health....gave him all the time he needed to make a full recovery, and were patient with him when he wasn't particularly good for the first few months he came back.

This defection is worse than Barry, Milner or Young. SD can f*ck right off, I hope he rots on the bench like Milner.

With Young and Downing going, the board better move fast and get some quality in.

P.S.

**** you, Stu

Until he leaves, I won't say anything bad, but if he does, I imagine this post will sum up my feelings quite well.

People seem to be surprised.

He is a footballer, they are all the same.

They're not. Some are loyal despite the lure of better elsewhere (Tim Cahill comes to mind).

It's just that those sort of loyal players are in the minority.

AM has told the fans, Downing is not going to be sold unless we get a stupid offer of around £50M. I'm sure McCleish has spoken to him.

If AM was lying to the fans he met with, then I'll be amazed as it would be out of character and what's more, if we did sell SD for £19M

it would hardly be a wise start to a fan's forum would it? He didn't need to say that did he? AM could have said... "well I'm doing my level best

to keep him but we'll have to see.....etc etc" However he didn't did he? AM said we're not selling unless we get a stupid offer for him.

Now, I know this story is probably 90% bullshit, but who the **** does the negotiations at VP?!?!

19m for an England international who is in the prime of his carer?? **** joke. We should be looking for 25-30 EASILY!

It just seems we always get dicked up the arse when it comes to selling players. FFS.

The 50Million is tongue and cheek, if Downing states he wants to go, then we have no choice in the matter, you look to do a deal, for me we should be looking at 20million plus.

Thats pretty much the long and short of it.

If a £20m firm offer comes in - then AM will be leaned on to accept it.

Pretty surprised the bid is from Liverpool I remember reading how liverpool don't buy teams - but all the players are home grown - the loveable scouser coming through the ranks.

it is a big IF but if he does go it is another statement from the club on which way they are going

i would expect if benty starts well for him to also be sold off or lined up for sale in the winter transfer window

i will worry about it if and when it happens

at the moment it is a nothing story, if it isnt then we are in big big trouble

What is the pull of Liverpool now though?? They arent in CL and i cant see them making it there any time soon and theyre never gonna win the league.

At the end of the day its money

Liverpool will challenge IMO next season, maybe not for the title but for top 4.

If the management team at Villa have any brains about them, they should sit down with Downing and get him to sign a new contract, if he doesn't move him on. Because next summer he will force our hands just like Ashley did this summer and cause distruption to the next summer plans. We can get a decent fee and invest in A Johnson or someone this summer, instead of waiting till next season and then just reacting as we always do.

How will it cause disruption, it'll be far easier replacing him next year than this year, especially now Young has gone. How has Young disrupted our summer as well? we knew he was leaving pretty much november onwards.

If Downing doesn't sign a contract but stays, we will know he will leave next summer as well and will plan for that.

Last season the team was shaped around A Young, so we effectively have to get a new attacking CM and LW, because Downing and Albrighton can't play the whole season and we missing a creative force through the middle, unless Ireland steps up. Nothing was concrete about Young leaving and him leaving has cause distruption to this summer transfer agenda.

The simple fact is, I rather get rid of Downing this summer and get someone like A Johnson in now, then lose our star player for the 4 season in a row, next summer. If Downing doesn't sign a new contract, we will probably lose half his transfer value next summer, so IMO it make more sense in replacing him this summer and letting A Johnson play himself into the team, changing personel every summer isn't going to help the team morale.

What is the pull of Liverpool now though?? They arent in CL and i cant see them making it there any time soon and theyre never gonna win the league.

Liverpool will challenge IMO next season, maybe not for the title but for top 4.

Cant see it myself.

Liverpool will be challenging for 5th - 6th with the likes of us and Everton.

Cant see it myself.

Liverpool will be challenging for 5th - 6th with the likes of us and Everton.

I like the optimism! :D

Â