Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Albrighton in for Young I can live with.

But Albrighton is a little inconsistent, as was Young. That's why we needed someone consistent like Downing on the other side, to keep the service in to Bent coming even when we weren't playing particularly well. Downing is going to be very very very hard to replace, IMO. N'Zogbia keeps being mentioned but he has quite a few off days. What are our chances of scoring if Albrighton and N'Zogbia are both having poor games? Bent doesn't make his own chances really.. One thing Downing always gave you was a few quality crosses, even when he's not having his best game, and for someone like Bent that's sometimes enough. That allowed Young to be a little more flamboyant and unpredictable.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone who thinks Stewart Downing will be harder to replace than Ash is havin a laff imo.

They both had similar stats last year (ok some of Ash's were pens) and Ash was having his worst ever season while Downing was havin his best.

If Ash had offered nothing I would see the point, but hes still one of our major assets when hes dire for 38 games.

Right, so that fantastic bit of sarcasm about him being awesome was singing his praises then. O.K.

He will be replacing Young by the way, in some regards at least. He's a much more natural winger and a better crosser of the ball.

It might take him a year or two but he'll be just as effective if not more so.

I dont think the fact he cant get a sniff in an utterly dire Under 21s side hasnt even crossed their minds.

That means nothing.. Pearce is useless anyway.

Ahh, now i thought that might be the case. After all this is villa talk, and its just not plausable to suggest that a players not in a team because he aint good enough :winkold: :D

Well feel free to tell me why you think Rose is better than Albrighton..

I cant do that DVIN - i am not a regular at England U21 training camps.

Nor am I but I can immediately analyse from watching the games that Albrighton is twice the player Rose is..

I dont think the fact he cant get a sniff in an utterly dire Under 21s side hasnt even crossed their minds.

Agreed.

Playing Mancienne in DCM in front of Rodwell, and then playing Rodwell, Mancienne and Henderson in one team.

That's not forgetting playing Danny Rose, above Scott Sinclair and putting Sturridge on the wing...!

Ahh, now i thought that might be the case. After all this is villa talk, and its just not plausable to suggest that a players not in a team because he aint good enough :winkold: :D

Nor am I but I can immediately analyse from watching the games that Albrighton is twice the player Rose is..

Well i hope your right. Ive not seen any of Rose tbh. But I really think its time to be realistic. Everytime a player cant get in a team, we look for an excuse.

More with Woodytom on this one.

Wouldnt really want us to go into the season with Albrighton as a starter. He is effective going forward, but in the other 2/3 of the pitch is a bit of a liability at the moment.

That's not to say I dont think he'll come good, but I actually think Bannan is the better player.

if both we're to go i'd be a very happy camper if we managed to get N'zogbia and Adam Johnson in as replacements.

I'd be happy too but Johnson isn't coming and we'll be mighty lucky to get N'Zogbia.

I dont think we'll see so much 2 wingers on the pitch and I for one will be glad.

You're not being realistic though Woody. You're using Stuart Pearce's judgement as an accurate gauge of a player's ability (ha!) rather than what we know to be true by watching Albrighton all season and in some cases (my own at least) for the last 5 years.

Wouldnt really want us to go into the season with Albrighton as a starter. He is effective going forward, but in the other 2/3 of the pitch is a bit of a liability at the moment.

That's not to say I dont think he'll come good, but I actually think Bannan is the better player.

I couldnt disagree more. Albrighton's defensive work was very good.

I couldnt disagree more. Albrighton's defensive work was very good.

To be honest, Im thinking more about his composure on the ball and ability to pick the right pass when in his own half. He quite often plays the team into trouble by being hassled off the ball or giving it away near the half way line.

I'll concede that he does put a lot of good work in defensively, though can be a little naive with his tackling - see Fulhum away.

Anyway, i'm not against him, and I know that there's a premiership player in there, as he proved against west ham. I just dont think we can rely on him to turn in that kind of performance week in, week out.

If Albrighton has a problem its that he tries too hard and needs to calm it down a bit at times. He's very talented and committed but his over eagerness can lead to erratic play. But also brilliance.

He'll get composure with experience.

If Albrighton has a problem its that he tries too hard and needs to calm it down a bit at times. He's very talented and committed but his over eagerness can lead to erratic play. But also brilliance.

He'll get composure with experience.

I'm with you on this Maz. Marc Albrighton could be a real blast this coming season. I think he will thrive under McLeish.

(NB Not all our players are nice people - Marc Albrighton is very nice chap)

Agreed.

Playing Mancienne in DCM in front of Rodwell, and then playing Rodwell, Mancienne and Henderson in one team.

That's not forgetting playing Danny Rose, above Scott Sinclair and putting Sturridge on the wing...!

This is a man who once moved David James up front and left a striker on the bench...

Well i hope your right. Ive not seen any of Rose tbh. But I really think its time to be realistic. Everytime a player cant get in a team, we look for an excuse.

didn't England pick Heskey/Defoe over Bent

SWP/Lennon/Milner (wide) over Ashley Young ....tell me they were right?

(Post edited - please stop the giant quotes)

At the time, Yes.

Heskey was playing well with Rooney

As much as it pains - only in the last 6 months has Ash not looked totally out of his depth for England. Even more so than lennon and SWP. And that pains me to say.

I see your point tho POB

However, when you think how much we big Marc up, you would have thought anyone would pick him for the u21 - numpty or not. Point is we big him up too much imo

Â