Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Didn't MM say he isn't for sale?!

Yes he did - he said at the meeting he attended yesterday McCleish was specifically asked about Downing's future and he said he's not for sale... unless of course we get a stupid offer (£50M) for him come in or something.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also consider we have seen with Barry and Young selling an England international in the last year of thier contract will still generate a decent transfer fee.Secondly I would assume Mr Downing will want to play in the Euro's ,should England qualify so should he stay he will have to play well to not lose his place.

He's been a good player for us, but for the right price...

You can do a lot with £16M-£20M, we also have Albrighton.

Losing Downing would be more than just gaining £20m though. If he goes in the same window as Young then Bent won't be far behind. It is very important for the image of this club to the players in the squad, to the perception other clubs have and to the fans looking to buy tickets that we're not just some glorified firesale.

It might be different next summer but, at present, Downing is a lot more valuable to Villa than just the transfer fee he commands.

He's been a good player for us, but for the right price...

You can do a lot with £16M-£20M, we also have Albrighton.

Losing Downing would be more than just gaining £20m though. If he goes in the same window as Young then Bent won't be far behind. It is very important for the image of this club to the players in the squad, to the perception other clubs have and to the fans looking to buy tickets that we're not just some glorified firesale.

It might be different next summer but, at present, Downing is a lot more valuable to Villa than just the transfer fee he commands.

I don't think it will make that much of a difference if the money is re-invested in new talent. The fans will get excited again if we get new fresh faces in, revitalise the squad.

TBH I think the perception the fans have is of secondary importance. I'm more concerned with how the good players in the squad perceive us. If they don't think they can achieve their goals here, then we'll quickly have a squad of players happy to be where we currently are. And the fans will fall away at that point regardless. Build the squad, the rest will come.

Milner is on over £100,000 a week at Man City.

He left for champions league - this first chance he'll have a chance to try and play some.

Bench or no bench.

Theres no way he's coming back

He's not going to play though is he. Mancini is looking at signing Sanchez and possibly Sjneider plus others I would imagine. If Sanchez comes in then Milner drops another place further down for a wing position and he has no chance of a central position given their strength in depth and the fact that Mancini obviously doesn't fancy him there.

Citeh can only name a squad of 25 (which they already have) so will have to sell some if they are bringing in new names.

Downing wont be going anywhere.... this year.

Next year he will be off. :(

First off, I am a big Downing fan.

BUT you could get a lot more for him this summer than next. £20m+ compared to say £14m??

If we could get the right calibre of replacement for DJ and Ash - I suggested NZogbia and Shaqiri for a combined £25m - then that leaves a net £15m to go out and get a good ACM?

If Liveplop paid tenty for an up and coming kid in Henderson, then how much should a present England international cost? Left sided players are at a premium too. This all flies in the face of the comments to the fans big mac met yesterday, "we won't sell Downing unless its a really silly bid", well, this isn't silly enough for my liking. 25 mill or stuff off. You know what, I wondered why Downing was doing a lot of tracking back during the Liverpool game!!

Downing wont be going anywhere.... this year.

Next year he will be off. :(

First off, I am a big Downing fan.

BUT you could get a lot more for him this summer than next. £20m+ compared to say £14m??

If we could get the right calibre of replacement for DJ and Ash - I suggested NZogbia and Shaqiri for a combined £25m - then that leaves a net £15m to go out and get a good ACM?

I think the club are well aware that a summer of signing McLeish and then selling Young and Downing will not only kick up a massive shitstorm with the fans, but the way other clubs (and players) perceive us will be as a selling club. Which is not what anyone wants. The club wont want us to sign players who will just use us as a stepping stone for the champions league, they want to build something to take us there.

It's incredibly difficult to do and there's just far too much player power, but for Downing to go this summer would be disastrous. I think keeping him for another season is probably worth the 6m we will lose.

TBH I think the perception the fans have is of secondary importance. I'm more concerned with how the good players in the squad perceive us. If they don't think they can achieve their goals here, then we'll quickly have a squad of players happy to be where we currently are. And the fans will fall away at that point regardless. Build the squad, the rest will come.
The only ones I'd be concerned about keeping happy are Bent and possibly Albrighton, neither of them will go yet. If we bring in good replacements and the season goes well, everyone is a winner.

Late edit - add Gabby to the list.

If Liveplop paid tenty for an up and coming kid in Henderson, then how much should a present England international cost?

It depends on the contract and has little or nothing to do with his standing in the game. Henderson is nowhere near Ashley Young's standing in the game for example, and went for more than him. I present Andy Carroll.

If Liveplop paid tenty for an up and coming kid in Henderson, then how much should a present England international cost?

It depends on the contract and has little or nothing to do with his standing in the game. Henderson is nowhere near Ashley Young's standing in the game for example, and went for more than him. I present Andy Carroll.

Right BOF, now you've pissed me off. The price has just gone up to £30mill!!

You may be right, 2 years left and of good standing I'd say. Got to be at least 25?

The only ones I'd be concerned about keeping happy are Bent and possibly Albrighton, neither of them will go yet. If we bring in good replacements and the season goes well, everyone is a winner.

The only player loyal to this club I see is Gabby and Albrighton (but let's say a £25 mil deal is strook at £130,000 weekly, they're not going to turn it down. Especially Albrighton).

Bent could very well be off if Downing leaves next year which I suspect he will.

i think thats a given.

If Bent has another good season and plays in Euros next summer id expect him to want off as well maybe.

It's a fact of life these days... there's no loyalty it's just a job to footballers and managers.

They don't care about the fans or the tradition.. it's ALL about the money!

And there's something about breaking into the England set up from Villa that turns their heads too

It's happened with Barry, Milner, Ashley Young and Downing.... I'm sure it'll be Bent next.

Thing is none of them have been a patch on the players they were when they played in the claret & blue. Only glimpse of Milner being

back to his best was when he played in that "made in Aston Villa" England friendly with Downing, Young, Cahill, Bent & Barry on the pitch.

Best game I've seen England play in ages too!

Gabby & Albrighton... well we'll see it's early days but as they came through the ranks maybe it's a tad different.

You may be right, 2 years left and of good standing I'd say. Got to be at least 25?

I'd agree with that, yeah. But for the other non-financial reasons I've stated above, I'd still tell them to piss off and wait.

The only player loyal to this club I see is Gabby and Albrighton (but let's say a £25 mil deal is strook at £130,000 weekly, they're not going to turn it down. Especially Albrighton).

Bent could very well be off if Downing leaves next year which I suspect he will.

Yes...all that is true. But my point was that I'd take the money for Downing, it can be re invested to actually improve us. I don't think Downing going will have any direct negative effects if the money is spent well before the start of the season.

It's happened with Barry, Milner, Ashley Young and Downing.... I'm sure it'll be Bent next.

Gabby & Albrighton... well we'll see it's early days but as they came through the ranks maybe it's a tad different.

The difference is that the latter 2 have probably already found their level.

Â