Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I think villa v liverpool would be a game Hogg could deffinitely do a job for us in :winkold:

The only game Hogg could do a job for us is if they ever need an extra body at a catering point or an extra steward, he's utter crap on the pitch and no where near good enough to play for the Villa.

I meant he could do a job for us against Liverpool, as in one of his bad sliding challenges and Downing!

I'd play Petrov instead. he's already put the guy on crutches once ...

I'd play Petrov, Makoun and Delph all at the same time. Mind you, we should probably be playing them anyway.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This lot is a) just childish , B) pathetic , c) total crap.

Downing was our PotY last year - there was a reason for that you know.

His crosses WERE superb , and I would guess he supplied the majority of our goals.

He also scored 9 himself FROM OPEN PLAY ! - not penalties.

If you question the way he has gone about it - fine. But don't try and make out he is crap and we have done Liverpool, because he isn't and we haven't !.

Oh - and I forgot - he also scored our goal of the season this year - when he ran the length of the field AFTER HE TRACKED BACK TO HELP OUT OUR DEFENCE !!!

His crosses WERE superb , and I would guess he supplied the majority of our goals.

If you question the way he has gone about it - fine. But don't try and make out he is crap and we have done Liverpool, because he isn't and we haven't !.

Oh - and I forgot - he also scored our goal of the season this year - when he ran the length of the field AFTER HE TRACKED BACK TO HELP OUT OUR DEFENCE !!!

Blimey mate, you're not his brother are you? Take it easy. He's gone, we got good money, move on!! :lol:

If you remember that, you probably remember the spineless wimp didn`t make one serious tackle in all of last season, just got in the way of our full backs and brought the opposition full back with him. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

So for someone who has been quite busy lately and hasn't kept up with this transfer, what has Downing done that's bad?

Dug out some quotes from Stewart Downing.

From this:

Yes, I am happy here. There is speculation that players are going to clubs all the time but I am happy here. Since the first day I came here I have enjoyed every minute

A lot of faith went into me when Martin paid a lot of money for me when I was injured

On a personal note I want to do well because the club put a lot of faith in me

It's a family club. You feel very welcome and there's a great environment. I love the fact the team has great ambition for the future

I'm looking forward to next season already. We're looking to really progress

I am thoroughly enjoying my time at Villa. Even though it's been a frustrating season, I see the bigger picture and the ambition of the club

It’s part and parcel of being a player and doing well. Ever since I was young I’ve read stories saying ‘you’re going here, you’re going there.' Obviously if you have a good season you get linked, but I’m happy here

There are terrific players here. I’m confident, despite this season, that we’re going in the right direction and, if we get the right players in, then I’m happy

The important thing in football is if you’re happy, then why change it. I know it’s been a disappointing season but I can see the bigger picture

To this

My agent had a recent meeting with our chief executive. However, I am 26, and at a major crossroads in my career, so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment

I want to keep playing and enjoying my football. When I was injured that made me realise what it can be like to be out for such a long time. It hurt. The most important thing is to play football, but I do want to play in the Champions League at some point

With England as well, all the top players play in good teams. I'm no different

You just want the best for your career. You want to finish with medals at the end of it so, if it's a step up with Villa or with someone else, then I'm ready for it

You watch teams in the Champions League and it makes you wish you were there. You sit at home and watch it, hear the music come on, you see the teams and you think 'that's where you want to be.

It's the pinnacle. It's the best. It's the best standard with the best players. It would be nice to taste that one day

My agent had a meeting with the club - just one meeting - and he just felt it was the right time not to sign my contract

Will I be at Villa next season? I'm not sure

You hope they do (understand) but normal fans will want you to stay at their club for the rest of your life. If you do leave there's obviously a bit of bitterness there

You hope they do understand because, it's like any job, if there's a better job on hand, or a better level to do it, then people do it

It's up to their fans and their opinions of me. If they want to be loud and clear with what they think of me, then that's fine

:|

Also this:

stewart-downing-liverpool-scarf4.jpg

:x

Ashley doesn’t track players like our Stewart tracks them. That is why the right back and left back always say they want him on their side so he can run up and down and look after them.”

The bold bit is surely a joke!!

What a joke. He may track back, but after watching us home and away all of last season I can probably count the amount of times Downing put a tackle in on my one hand. :crylaugh:

Oh well, done now.

Shame, villa are now weakened by anything up to 50%. We arnt going to replace Downing easily, if at all.

Hes easily replaced. Znogbia is much better IMO, Iv been saying this for ages as well.

Youngy will be a lot harder to replace, Downing didn't really offer anything that a 20m quid player should.

Downing is a one trick pony - not going to be hard to replace. AM actually signs players from abroad so we've more choice now than we did have 12 months ago. Move on and forget.

Oh well, done now.

Shame, villa are now weakened by anything up to 50%. We arnt going to replace Downing easily, if at all.

Hes easily replaced. Znogbia is much better IMO, Iv been saying this for ages as well.

Youngy will be a lot harder to replace, Downing didn't really offer anything that a 20m quid player should.

Just find that a truly amazing judgement given his contribution to the side last season. His departure creates a massive hole. Can N'Zogbia replace him? Dunno - time will tell*, but we have to get him first. Lerner seems to be farting about quibbling over a few £00,000s in a bid to outdo Deadly.

(*Even if he does, we need someone to replace Young as well!)

im sorry but thats horseshit - you dont conduct an interview with newspaper (a) saying you are more than happy and you'd sit down and discuss a contract renewall and then give alternative interview to newspaper (B) a paper in the northeast saying the complete polar opposite. It makes you look like a clearing in the woods. Where's his respect? the club signed him on one leg and he said the same - its a disgrace that he has left the way he has and not shown any empathy towards the fans or the club

this.

+1

So for someone who has been quite busy lately and hasn't kept up with this transfer, what has Downing done that's bad?

Dug out some quotes from Stewart Downing.

From this:

Yes, I am happy here. There is speculation that players are going to clubs all the time but I am happy here. Since the first day I came here I have enjoyed every minute

A lot of faith went into me when Martin paid a lot of money for me when I was injured

On a personal note I want to do well because the club put a lot of faith in me

It's a family club. You feel very welcome and there's a great environment. I love the fact the team has great ambition for the future

I'm looking forward to next season already. We're looking to really progress

I am thoroughly enjoying my time at Villa. Even though it's been a frustrating season, I see the bigger picture and the ambition of the club

It’s part and parcel of being a player and doing well. Ever since I was young I’ve read stories saying ‘you’re going here, you’re going there.' Obviously if you have a good season you get linked, but I’m happy here

There are terrific players here. I’m confident, despite this season, that we’re going in the right direction and, if we get the right players in, then I’m happy

The important thing in football is if you’re happy, then why change it. I know it’s been a disappointing season but I can see the bigger picture

To this

My agent had a recent meeting with our chief executive. However, I am 26, and at a major crossroads in my career, so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment

I want to keep playing and enjoying my football. When I was injured that made me realise what it can be like to be out for such a long time. It hurt. The most important thing is to play football, but I do want to play in the Champions League at some point

With England as well, all the top players play in good teams. I'm no different

You just want the best for your career. You want to finish with medals at the end of it so, if it's a step up with Villa or with someone else, then I'm ready for it

You watch teams in the Champions League and it makes you wish you were there. You sit at home and watch it, hear the music come on, you see the teams and you think 'that's where you want to be.

It's the pinnacle. It's the best. It's the best standard with the best players. It would be nice to taste that one day

My agent had a meeting with the club - just one meeting - and he just felt it was the right time not to sign my contract

Will I be at Villa next season? I'm not sure

You hope they do (understand) but normal fans will want you to stay at their club for the rest of your life. If you do leave there's obviously a bit of bitterness there

You hope they do understand because, it's like any job, if there's a better job on hand, or a better level to do it, then people do it

It's up to their fans and their opinions of me. If they want to be loud and clear with what they think of me, then that's fine

:|

Also this:

stewart-downing-liverpool-scarf4.jpg

:x

Cheers TRS-T

I really don't understand why he's gone its obvious that villa are club going places - not liverpool

That is sarcasm, right?

Yes, I believe it was. While I wouldn't say Villa are going anywhere at the moment (that could change) it's not like Liverpool definitely are either. I remember this time last season when Hodgson was buying loads of players people were hyping up Liverpool just like they are now. It seems like Liverpool merely have to buy a couple of players (doesn't matter who they are) before people start hyping them up.

Â