Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Liverpool recently are just like Spurs in that they want to be linked with everyone and they shamelessly allow every single shred of information to be leaked to the media. I suggest they try putting their money where their mouths are.

That's very presumptuous.

As a matter of fact, the new Liverpool policy is to report nothing until there is something to report but that won't stop agents leaking, journalists digging and other clubs briefing.

And that assumes I give a flying **** what Liverpool's policy is on anything.

Conversely you clearly put a lot of store on what is being said by agents and journalists as you started the debate on this thread.

But if Liverpool say nothing why did you bother to report the leaks and digging?

Well if you don't give a flying ****, I guess there's no point discussing it further.

Well there isn't when you are coming out with all this half baked nonsense.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you being so defensive? :D

All I'm saying is you can probably expect a sensible offer while there's no manager in place to block it.

That doesn't mean Lerner will accept it.

Because I think your suggestion we will be tempted to flog an England international for a £4m profit while we have no manager in place is frankly stupid and insulting.

My suggestion?

You are clearly fishing for a reaction, I'm not going to give you the satisfaction. Thanks for letting us know your most interesting ITK info though. :D

don't think there is anyway downing will be going this summer. ash only has 1 year left, so we either cash in now or lose him for nothing next season. downing has 2 years, so we will either flog him next summer or he will sign a new deal.

as for downing himself, well yet again another example of a footballer overrating his own abilities, and taking no responsibilities for his part in the clubs lack of sucess. we are hearing the usual "want trophies, champs league" etc and no doubt if he has the balls to actually come out and say straight up he wants to leave he will bring up the usual "club cant match my ambition". its always the clubs fault to them, never the players even though they are the ones actually out there on the pitch.

maybe stewie should take a good look at his time at villa so far. we spent big money on him when he was crocked, and no doubt hes on big wages. he came into a team full of good players, it wasnt like he had loads of pressure on him to be the creative star. we had ash, milner, gabby as other key creative threats- all excellent players. we had an expensively assembled squad for him to be part of - that screams ambition to me. we had to put up with him missing the first 6 months, and then half a season of average performances, as well as bottling every tackle he had to make. yeah hes been better this year, and though i do think he has excellent ability at times, he still hasn't consistently played at the level he seems to think. marc albrighton, a youngster in his first full premier league season has a better goals to minutes and assists to minutes ratio than him. we have also spent big money on a top top striker this season - again that is ambition to me.

downing said he wants trophies. well you played in a cup final and a semi final last year mate. if you wanted it so much, maybe you could have bust a gut and put in a match winning performance. can't remember him doing anything in either game. same goes for champions league- if you wanted it maybe you could have reflected that in your performances over the course of a season. why do footballers seem to expect everything to be handed to them on a plate? we have given downing an excellent platform to succeed on, and so far i honestly don't think he has delivered what his price tag and wages suggest. he is going on about the club matching his ambition. what about him fulfilling our expectations and helping us achieve our ambitions?

Why are you being so defensive? :D

All I'm saying is you can probably expect a sensible offer while there's no manager in place to block it.

That doesn't mean Lerner will accept it.

Because I think your suggestion we will be tempted to flog an England international for a £4m profit while we have no manager in place is frankly stupid and insulting.

My suggestion?

You are clearly fishing for a reaction, I'm not going to give you the satisfaction. Thanks for letting us know your most interesting ITK info though. :D

I'm doing nothing of the sort.

You're just shooting the messenger is all.

Not at all. Clubs bid for players its the way of the world I've no issue with that or with you coming on here to tell us that is supposed to be the case in relation to Liverpool and Downing.

What pisses me off is the underlying arrogance in the idea we might be bullied into selling for such a crap price and at a time when we've not got a manager.

I think its a fairly safe assumption that we won't sell in our current circumstances.

Not at all. Clubs bid for players its the way of the world I've no issue with that or with you coming on here to tell us that is supposed to be the case in relation to Liverpool and Downing.

What pisses me off is the underlying arrogance in the idea we might be bullied into selling for such a crap price and at a time when we've not got a manager.

I think its a fairly safe assumption that we won't sell in our current circumstances.

What underlying arrogance?

Be objective for a second:

Club A has no manager and a player refusing to sign a contract extension.

Club B senses a window of opportunity to do business, makes an offer.

Club A then tells club B to **** off as we have no manager, the player still has 2 years remaining on his contract, we won't be selling him and aim to match his ambitions.

Nicely put :)

Under Ellis it wouldn't have surprised me. Under Randy... not a cat in hells chance. If you think Randy is going to sell Downing before a new manager can come in and try to convince him to stay you are wrong imo.

Club A then tells club B to **** off as we have no manager, the player still has 2 years remaining on his contract, we won't be selling him and aim to match his ambitions.

In which case, so be it.

Exactly. The situation with regards to Barry tells us exactly how Randy will play this one. Namely meet the excessive valuation or jog on.

You be objective.

A) He has two years remaining on his contract

B) Clubs generally speaking don't sell players when they have no manager in place.

I'm not saying Downing won't leave or that there is no way he won't go to you, I'd say there is a good chance of either or both of these happening.

What won't happen though is you will not strong arm Villa into selling a England internation with 24 months remaining on his contract for £4m more than we paid for him.

You tried and failed to strong arm us on Barry and we put principle ahead of money on that occasion, keeping Barry for another season and selling him for less rather than be forced into something by you. Yet you come on here trying to say we might be tempted to go for this deal?

I think its you that needs a little more objectivity and as I said previously a little less arrogance.

Downing might well fancy the move and all thins considered I wouldn't blame him but it won't happen while he we have no manager.

You be objective.

A) He has two years remaining on his contract

B) Clubs generally speaking don't sell players when they have no manager in place.

I'm not saying Downing won't leave or that there is no way he won't go to you, I'd say there is a good chance of either or both of these happening.

What won't happen though is you will not strong arm Villa into selling a England internation with 24 months remaining on his contract for £4m more than we paid for him.

You tried and failed to strong arm us on Barry and we put principle ahead of money on that occasion, keeping Barry for another season and selling him for less rather than be forced into something by you. Yet you come on here trying to say we might be tempted to go for this deal?

I think its you that needs a little more objectivity and as I said previously a little less arrogance.

Downing might well fancy the move and all thins considered I wouldn't blame him but it won't happen while he we have no manager.

This is the last time I'll try to reason with you before I give up.

This is ALL I'm saying:

Club A has no manager (i.e. somebody with 100% interest in team building and 0% interest in business deals) and a player refusing to sign a contract extension.

That's it. No prejudice, no presumption, no arrogance.

Redman given the knowledge of Liverpools previous dealings with AVFC what would you say the chances are of Liverpool having a bid of 16 mill accepted for a player with two years on his contract whilst we have no manager in place.?

Redman given the knowledge of Liverpools previous dealings with AVFC what would you say the chances are of Liverpool having a bid of 16 mill accepted for a player with two years on his contract whilst we have no manager in place.?

Unlikely.

This is ALL I'm saying:

Club A has no manager (i.e. somebody with 100% interest in team building and 0% interest in business deals) and a player refusing to sign a contract extension.

Window of opportunity?????

By all means stop trying to reason with me because your reasoning is **** flawed.

We told you were to stick your window of opportunity once with Barry and I'm certain that while we have no manager in place we will do so again.

You talk as if you are the only club that would be interested in Downing yet as you found out with Young its rarely the case.

You though you held all the aces with Barry but you didn't did you and you didn't get your way then either.

I'm not saying we won't sell Downing this summer or that we won't sell him to you but we won't sell him to you while we have no manager.

As for the price I'm sure many Liverpool fans think £16m for Downing is a fair price perhaps it is in terms of his ability or worth to you. The value of a player though is dictated primarily by the selling club not the buying club and it is then up to the buying club if they wish to meet it or not, obviously with a degree of negotiation.

What a player is worth to one club in a deal is rarely the same as to the other. To Liverpool Downing may not be worth more than £16m, in comparison to player from abroad he probably isn't but then you never know when you go shopping abroad do you as you should recall from your eventual replacement for Alonse who is currently back in Italy on loan.

This is ALL I'm saying:

Window of opportunity?????

By all means stop trying to reason with me because your reasoning is **** flawed.

We told you were to stick your window of opportunity once with Barry and I'm certain that while we have no manager in place we will do so again.

You talk as if you are the only club that would be interested in Downing yet as you found out with Young its rarely the case.

You though you held all the aces with Barry but you didn't did you and you didn't get your way then either.

I'm not saying we won't sell Downing this summer or that we won't sell him to you but we won't sell him to you while we have no manager.

As for the price I'm sure many Liverpool fans think £16m for Downing is a fair price perhaps it is in terms of his ability or worth to you. The value of a player though is dictated primarily by the selling club not the buying club and it is then up to the buying club if they wish to meet it or not, obviously with a degree of negotiation.

What a player is worth to one club in a deal is rarely the same as to the other. To Liverpool Downing may not be worth more than £16m, in comparison to player from abroad he probably isn't but then you never know when you go shopping abroad do you as you should recall from your eventual replacement for Alonse who is currently back in Italy on loan.

I'll refer you to the first line of my previous post.

Redman, Liverpool have not found a 'window of opportunity', you have a **** brick wall of opportunity. Don't try to make out it is anything different to that.

don't think there is anyway downing will be going this summer. ash only has 1 year left, so we either cash in now or lose him for nothing next season. downing has 2 years, so we will either flog him next summer or he will sign a new deal.

as for downing himself, well yet again another example of a footballer overrating his own abilities, and taking no responsibilities for his part in the clubs lack of sucess. we are hearing the usual "want trophies, champs league" etc and no doubt if he has the balls to actually come out and say straight up he wants to leave he will bring up the usual "club cant match my ambition". its always the clubs fault to them, never the players even though they are the ones actually out there on the pitch.

maybe stewie should take a good look at his time at villa so far. we spent big money on him when he was crocked, and no doubt hes on big wages. he came into a team full of good players, it wasnt like he had loads of pressure on him to be the creative star. we had ash, milner, gabby as other key creative threats- all excellent players. we had an expensively assembled squad for him to be part of - that screams ambition to me. we had to put up with him missing the first 6 months, and then half a season of average performances, as well as bottling every tackle he had to make. yeah hes been better this year, and though i do think he has excellent ability at times, he still hasn't consistently played at the level he seems to think. marc albrighton, a youngster in his first full premier league season has a better goals to minutes and assists to minutes ratio than him. we have also spent big money on a top top striker this season - again that is ambition to me.

downing said he wants trophies. well you played in a cup final and a semi final last year mate. if you wanted it so much, maybe you could have bust a gut and put in a match winning performance. can't remember him doing anything in either game. same goes for champions league- if you wanted it maybe you could have reflected that in your performances over the course of a season. why do footballers seem to expect everything to be handed to them on a plate? we have given downing an excellent platform to succeed on, and so far i honestly don't think he has delivered what his price tag and wages suggest. he is going on about the club matching his ambition. what about him fulfilling our expectations and helping us achieve our ambitions?

I agree with some elements of your sentiment, but I think you are wrong in your assessment of Downing. I think, and so do most of the fans and players judging by recent awards, that he has consistently delivered this season.

It could be that his protestations will be part of the picture that forces Randy to truly show his ambition - we can but hope - and, if this is the case, we will all be grateful.

Redman, Liverpool have not found a 'window of opportunity', you have a **** brick wall of opportunity. Don't try to make out it is anything different to that.

I don't know why this is so difficult to understand.

Your new manager might insist no players are sold or he might sit down with Downing and sell him his vision.

So if Liverpool (or any other club) is interested in Downing (or any other player), why wait to make an offer?

That isn't to say any offer will be welcomed or accepted.

Â