Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Does anyone else on here think that Downing may just be waiting to see who the next manager is, to see where he fits in, before he signs a new deal?

Give him the benifit of the doubt at least!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else on here think that Downing may just be waiting to see who the next manager is, to see where he fits in, before he signs a new deal?

True - and also angling for a better pay-rise a la Tevez and Rooney who both gained financially by saying similar comments!

True - and also angling for a better pay-rise a la Tevez and Rooney who both gained financially by saying similar comments!

You might just have something there.

Its common knowledge that we were offering Ashley a contract that sits right up there with the best. Maybe Downings agent knows that Ashley will not be around, and since Downing will then become our best player, he wants the same as what they were offering Ashley?

Gutless yellow bellied coward, good ridance, i have hated watching him all season as most of you know.

Lets have players that that will fight for us, not nancy boys.

The club is really in an awful mess at the moment and you cannot expect the likes of Downing and Ash to be happy when possible moves to so called bigger clubs have been muted. They want to win trophies and play in the best competitions available.

The players are obviously closer to what is happening within our club right now than we will ever be so if our better players do not want to commit to the club then there are reasons for that and it probably boils down to a lack of ambition from the club.

The fans and players have suffered from this lack of ambition now for many years. Southgate left us for Boro. Yorke left for Man U because he wanted to win medals and both Milner and Barry left for the same reasons.

If we bring in a management team that is known world wide then that might persuade Downing to stay. However, if we bring in Hughes then what message is that sending to the players at our club?

In my book another four years of mediocrity without change!

to be honest, when i listened to his interview i thought he was leaning towards im going to see what happens before I sign a new deal. I would think that the players know the manager is going and want to see what happens before commiting. for example, if avram grant was the new man in im pretty sure he would jump ship.

Hope he doesn't read some of the reactions on here if he is umming and arrring about leaving

I think a lot of our players would be off if they looked on here to often.

You know, there isn't a place at every CL team for every player, so the overpaid, underachieving, money grabbing tosser that is the modern day footballer will still be happy to take the millions at clubs like Aston Villa, Everton and Tottenham because they are on the periphery.

All this crap about players wanting CL football to 'test themselves against the best players' 90% of the 'best' players play in the Premier League anyway, so what are they doing week in, week out.

It's all bollocks, and all the VTers who were talking about supporting Manure in last weeks CL farce should take a look at the people and clubs who have really destroyed domestic football in our country, instead of whinging about the Villa owner, board and team manager all of the time.

rant over :evil:

Downing has said if he stays he will still give 100%. The board should take advantage of this and not offer him for sale, or ask £25 mil for him no less.

Players/agents have gotta stop ruling our football clubs. They take us and the board for mugs.

He might be a top Premiership footballer, but I believe this disolves in comparison to the stature of Mr Lerner, he should give him the lecture and tell him and other clubs he's not for sale this summer.

Not really. The problem is, play well for more than 10 games in a season and suddenly you are chumpions league quality. Doesn't matter what contract he's on, if he wants to go he'll go.

Not really. The problem is, play well for more than 10 games in a season and suddenly you are chumpions league quality. Doesn't matter what contract he's on, if he wants to go he'll go.

but it does.

If Young/Downing had 3 years left on their deal, then you can just outright reject any deal ....once it goes down to two years, then that's the last time you can get their true value ...and 1 year left, you're getting half of what you should really.

If Downing was contract to 2014 then there is no way we'd even contemplate selling IMO unless something stupid like £22-25 million came in.

Very disappointed with his comments. Disrespectful to both the club and its fans.

Learning point: Don't bang on about how committed you are then a few weeks bang on about how uncommitted you are just because your toe rag of an agent told you to say it. Oh and just remember how reliable and honest your last agent was.

Â