Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Not really. The problem is, play well for more than 10 games in a season and suddenly you are chumpions league quality. Doesn't matter what contract he's on, if he wants to go he'll go.

but it does.

If Young/Downing had 3 years left on their deal, then you can just outright reject any deal ....once it goes down to two years, then that's the last time you can get their true value ...and 1 year left, you're getting half of what you should really.

If Downing was contract to 2014 then there is no way we'd even contemplate selling IMO unless something stupid like £22-25 million came in.

Agree with all that but I think it's the mark of an ambitious club to be prepared to risk big losses.

You don't have to let either Young or Downing go this summer if you don't want. Instead, appoint a strong manager, give him £30-40m to spend and have a crack at CL qualification yourselves. See how they both feel in a years time.

It probably isn't realistic but I don't see how else you'll break the cycle of bringing good players up to international standard and then losing them.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. The problem is, play well for more than 10 games in a season and suddenly you are chumpions league quality. Doesn't matter what contract he's on, if he wants to go he'll go.

but it does.

If Young/Downing had 3 years left on their deal, then you can just outright reject any deal ....once it goes down to two years, then that's the last time you can get their true value ...and 1 year left, you're getting half of what you should really.

If Downing was contract to 2014 then there is no way we'd even contemplate selling IMO unless something stupid like £22-25 million came in.

Agree with all that but I think it's the mark of an ambitious club to be prepared to risk big losses.

You don't have to let either Young or Downing go this summer if you don't want. Instead, appoint a strong manager, give him £30-40m to spend and have a crack at CL qualification yourselves. See how they both feel in a years time.

It probably isn't realistic but I don't see how else you'll break the cycle of bringing good players up to international standard and then losing them.

The problem is, we're IMO £50+ million off Champions League. Even that wouldn't guarentee anything, Man City will probably spend double that. Arsenal are always good for 70+ points. Liverpool coming back strong, Spurs have some great players. Chelsea, United are top 4 inevitable. we're not now competing with 1 team, we're competing with 3 others for one spot. 3 others all more attractive prospect for players.

I think spending big now is suicidal unless you have the sort of money Chelsea/Man City have.

I'm not sure what the best approach is, not to say I wouldn't be happy if Randy ploughed huge money for transfers this summer but not sure he has the resources, I think we need to re-build the club, it's structure, get wages under control and build the club.

man United at home he was awesome, destroyed them with his forward play.

Honestly, I cannot remember much of the chelsea game at theirs I was pissed.

Everybody was good in that Man Utd game, even Bannan and Hogg looked like world beaters.

Saw this on the Football365 mailbox.

Not sure if it's one of our VT posters but it's brilliant but also depressingly true.

Advert

Calling all average footballers - stuck at a struggling club? Want to break into the England squad? Want to earn huge amounts of money while watching the Champions League from a big club's substitutes' bench?

Then contact Aston Villa Solutions Ltd right now!!! We offer a quick, no-nonsense, fast-track route into international football and the B/C team of a side in the upper echelons of English football.

All YOU need do is hang around taking our shilling for a bit while you're not very good; then once the club has improved you to the point where you can string a few good performances together - throw yourself all over the papers and tell everyone how much you want out and have to be playing in the Champions League! Bonus points if you can pull this off less than six weeks after telling the club and supporters you want to stay.

But don't just take OUR word for it:

"Over 10 years I toiled away at Villa being average - but then a quick change of position and manager, and boom! Now I'm toiling away being average on 10 times the money with the best Champions League seat in the house booked for next season!" - Gareth, Manchester

"My career was looking a mess of unfulfilled potential until I went to Villa; within a couple of years I'd found myself sat on a really comfy subs' bench for club AND country, and am now on first name terms with my bank manager! I even put out a rumour about crying when I couldn't join. They loved that!" - James, Manchester

"Finally I've found a manager who stopped me being a less dopey version of Aaron Lennon; so now it's exit time!" - Ashley, somewhere on the M6

"I'm not going anywhere. I think when a club shows faith in an injured player, making him their record signing and highest paid player when he won't kick a ball for six months, you have to show a bit of loyalty and I'll be doing just tha- wait a sec, my phone's ringing. Bear with me, it's my agent, I need to take this" - Stewart, New Street Station

If what he said is true then he's not my favourite person right now but the way people are belittling his season and play is laughable. He was our BEST player last season, churning out several fantastic performances. If he's suddenly rubbish then how bad are the rest of the squad?

I'll hate him if he leaves like everyone else but I'm not going to deny he's an excellent player.

Not sure if it's one of our VT posters but it's brilliant but also depressingly true.

Advert

Calling all average footballers - stuck at a struggling club? Want to break into the England squad? Want to earn huge amounts of money while watching the Champions League from a big club's substitutes' bench?

Then contact Aston Villa Solutions Ltd right now!!! We offer a quick, no-nonsense, fast-track route into international football and the B/C team of a side in the upper echelons of English football.

All YOU need do is hang around taking our shilling for a bit while you're not very good; then once the club has improved you to the point where you can string a few good performances together - throw yourself all over the papers and tell everyone how much you want out and have to be playing in the Champions League! Bonus points if you can pull this off less than six weeks after telling the club and supporters you want to stay.

"Over 10 years I toiled away at Villa being average - but then a quick change of position and manager, and boom! Now I'm toiling away being average on 10 times the money with the best Champions League seat in the house booked for next season!" - Gareth, Manchester

"My career was looking a mess of unfulfilled potential until I went to Villa; within a couple of years I'd found myself sat on a really comfy subs' bench for club AND country, and am now on first name terms with my bank manager! I even put out a rumour about crying when I couldn't join. They loved that!" - James, Manchester

"Finally I've found a manager who stopped me being a less dopey version of Aaron Lennon; so now it's exit time!" - Ashley, somewhere on the M6

"I'm not going anywhere. I think when a club shows faith in an injured player, making him their record signing and highest paid player when he won't kick a ball for six months, you have to show a bit of loyalty and I'll be doing just tha- wait a sec, my phone's ringing. Bear with me, it's my agent, I need to take this" - Stewart, New Street Station

That's fantastic. I'm way too positive at the moment to care.

Advert

GarethRDR, can you make an advert for us? :lol:

Advert

very good.

Advert

That is both depressing and bloody fantastic.

:cry: / :lol:

You could also add "Dwight, from Salford" and "Mark" from a crack house to that list as well.

How would Downing react if Steve McClaren came in?

McClaren must have been Downing's manager for a good few years at Boro.

Did Downing get any game time for England when McClaren was England manager?

How would Downing react if Steve McClaren came in?

McClaren must have been Downing's manager for a good few years at Boro.

Did Downing get any game time for England when McClaren was England manager?

I'd be surprised if that any influence on him staying to be honest. Its not like he was not being picked - he's POTY. If we make 4 or 5 big signings on the hand then that might make a difference.

why do these people that keep harping on about offering 5 year contracts, assume any player would want to sign a 5 year contract ?

I'm sure if Downing had to choose between a five-year contract at Villa or stay with Boro in the Championship, then he would choose the five-year contract every time.

Â