Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Downings a model pro. If we had more with the same attitude as him we wouldn't be down where we are.

Think we definitely need to get a Downing chant started

Yeah. Also remember the story that appeared in the court with his agent. The agent said he wanted to move away from Middlesborough, but Downing said it was a lie and fired the agent and signed a new contract.

Seems a genuine nice guy.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe a word footballers say but if he stays - fantastic, he's an excellent player.

Just as a general rule of thumb I think it's best to take everything footballers say with a pinch of salt.

Downing is more geniune than most i think a model pro as has been said. I wouldn't expect him to stay if we did go down but i doubt we will so its ok. Next year when Young has gone he will play and even bigger role and will be even better for us imo. Might get him on my shirt next year i like him that much.

I have just realised how much I love Downing, our best footballer since Barry. Milner was a better player although for more off the ball reasons added to his technical game. As a footballer, pace, left foot, right foot, delivery, shooting, passing, dribbling, his ability in my opinion is above just about everyone in our squad. I'd say he's only got better as well, on the right especially, he's as dangerous as anyone in the league when he's playing with confidence.

Who was that playing on the right wing for Aston Villa in their 2-2 draw at Everton on Saturday? He was the best player on the pitch by a country mile.

Aah, you mean Stewart Downing.

No, I said right winger. Downing plays on the left, doesn't he?

Not on Saturday, he didn't. Nor in his man-of-the match performance for England against Ghana.

So, where's he been?

He has been beset by injuries, a loss of form and low confidence that he has been slowly rebuilding since arriving from Middlesbrough in 2009.

What happened?

His soon-to-be team-mate Stiliyan Petrov stomped on his toe during an end-of-season game and it made for an unhappy first campaign for the £12million signing in what turned out to be manager Martin O'Neill's last season.

Why unhappy?

He missed pre-season and the fans thought he was a bit powder-puff when he eventually returned.

That's a bit harsh, whoever heard of a tough-tackling winger?

Exactly, they have been a bit hard on Downing at Villa Park. But this season he should pick up the player of the season award.

A big turnaround then?

He is beginning to look like the player O'Neill pinned so many of his hopes upon.

But there are so few players who have featured regularly under Gerard Houllier's different approach to squad rotation that there are only a few credible candidates.

You're damning him with faint praise.

No, Darren Bent admitted that Downing's form has been on the up when he said: 'I heard before I got here that fans were on his back. But from what I've seen, he's a top player. He's got a wonderful left foot.'

What does the man himself say?

'It has been a season that has not been the best, but on a personal level I've enjoyed it. If you look at the side's displays overall, we have played really badly. If we cut out the mistakes, we should be fine.'

It looked like Villa were taking over the England team in midweek with Downing, Darren Bent, Ashley Young, James Milner, Gareth Barry and Gary Cahill having all passed through the club.

Back to Downing: 'The Villa lads did well for England and it took a bit of pressure off them, being away. We had time to think about it and now we know what we need to do.'

So Fabio Capello might have given Gerard Houllier a pointer, playing Downing on the right?

Ssshhh! Don't say that.

Houllier finally brought back his big-game players and shoved Ashley Young out to the left wing, where he is clearly at his most threatening, and it showed.

And Downing was the star man, was he?

Yes, in his 'new' position, he created a goal for Bent and caused Leighton Baines several problems.

But Houllier deserves credit for recognising Downing's threat on the right.

After the season Villa's boss has had, it's probably the least he deserves

Daily Mail

Like it or not Stewart was absolutely brilliant on Saturday at Goodison, pure class!

When we played at United at Old Trafford in February I stood next to a group of 'supporters' who gave Stewart dogs abuse throughout the game. I don't know why. It's absolutely essential that we keep players like this after this sad season is over. Players like Stewart Downing show that the future can be bright for Aston Villa, even after Ashley Young. Get behind the players!

And what a nice guy, a credit to himself and the Club.

Like it or not Stewart was absolutely brilliant on Saturday at Goodison, pure class!

When we played at United at Old Trafford in February I stood next to a group of 'supporters' who gave Stewart dogs abuse throughout the game. I don't know why. It's absolutely essential that we keep players like this after this sad season is over. Players like Stewart Downing show that the future can be bright for Aston Villa, even after Ashley Young. Get behind the players!

And what a nice guy, a credit to himself and the Club.

I have to sit by the same type of people week in week out. I've given up arguing with them now because Downing is a 'shit pussy' to them :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Still can improve for me. When we were trying to look after the ball and put pressure on yesterday he lost it at least three times in good moves before the goal. I want to see him busting a gut and playing well when the team isn't, dragging us on, he's good enough. Then he can count himself a real player, far too often he goes with the flow and either shines when we're on top, or hides when we're under the cosh.

Â