Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo Downing is not lazy at all and he reads the game pretty well. He has got stuck in more lately too. As for the no right foot you have to be shitting me he right foot is good, a damn sight better than Youngs left for a start.

Albrighton's got the crosses, Downing's got the runs, Ash has the dribbling. Now can we somehow combine all three!?

I'd hope we could leave this in the dressing room to be honest.

I think he does a good job defensively for a winger and works hard. However, proper wingers will never get stuck in - look at Adam Johnson, David Silva, Nani, Lennon etc.. That is why most teams that play wingers play a 4-3-3/4-5-1 and stick in an extra man in CM to compensate.

I want to see us play this system next year (or 4-2-3-1 if you want to call it that) but it is that extra CM'er that can play in the more advanced role that we are lacking. With that, we could give Ash (if he stays)/NZogbia (I hope if Ash goes), DJ and Albrighton carte blanche to get at the oppositions back 4 and join in with Benty.

Best Yet To Come... we heard this some time ago from DJ; and he has been exceptional - do you think he can get better than this?

I'm not sure what change Ash (possibly) leaving would have. There would be extra pressure on him to deliver, would he step up?

He would absolutely step up. There have been times this season he has looked like the only one putting a shift in.

He is now actually getting involved in some tackles. His confidence is the highest it has been in years.

Get this guy to sign a new contract asap.

This is a must, along with all the quotes in the press about commitment and loving it at Villa, he is having a blinder this season.

I actually thought he had a very quiet, below-par game against West Ham, but even so he created a few chances, including being part of the second goal.

I think he's been class this season though. Love him.

Yep, we really need to get him signing an extension this summer otherwise we'll have the Ashley Young scenario with him next season as he goes into the last 18 months of his deal.

I like it when he cuts inside as i think he has better game intelligence than Young and superior passing. Given Albrighton has hardly played in the last few games, I'd give him player of the year.

I reckon we will offer him a new deal when we are certain we are staying up and the season starts to draw to an end.. most likely last 1/2 games or something we'll start to renew contracts etc and possibly enter the transfer market earlier on rather than waiting till the end of the window..

I hate seeing Downing playing on the right.

He's a left-footed winger - so play him on the left!

Likewise with Young though I feel Young is better at playing on the "wrong" flank than Downing.

But anyway, I'd like to see Downing on the left and Young on the right for the whole 90 minutes (no wing swapping.)

Likewise with Young though I feel Young is better at playing on the "wrong" flank than Downing.

But anyway, I'd like to see Downing on the left and Young on the right for the whole 90 minutes (no wing swapping.)

I thought that at first but recently he has looked exceptional on the right. Plus Ashley is better on the left than on the right himself even though he is right footed.

Downing started the season better on the left but since he's upped his game, he's much more effective on the right, it also allows Kyle Walker to bomb forward which is a major plus to our attacking play.

Downing from the right, he can cross both footed, has great technique so can use the outside of his left foot as well as his right (when the ball is on his right), can cut inside onto his left also for shooting opportunities.

Much more to his game at the moment when he plays on the right. Where as on the left, it's quite limited to more running down the wing and delivering a cross from deeper, wider areas which I'm not sure suits us.

At least if Young leaves, then Downing will get to play in his rightful position on the left wing (hopefully)

If we sign a really attacking right back, he's better on the right, as well as it being better for the team.

I'd say Downing has played better in the last month or two than at any point in his Villa career and he's been on the right wing.

Â