Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Downing end up playing in the 'hole' if Ash goes?

I'd like to see this tried out actually as he has a decent long range shot and uses the ball intelligently so I bet he wouldn't overhit as many throughballs as Young does.

He played in a central two against Man. City and did o.k so it's not an absurd suggestion.

Argh, please no no no no. I'm fed up taking players that are hugely effective in one position and putting them somewhere else. If we put Downing in the hole, we lose his runs the length of the pitch on the wing because more often he will be up there waiting for the winger's run/pass. Downing must stay where he is. There's a reason he has been our best player this season. It's because he is suited to where he is. Moving him somewhere else is bloody madness.

Argh, please no no no no. I'm fed up taking players that are hugely effective in one position and putting them somewhere else. If we put Downing in the hole, we lose his runs the length of the pitch on the wing because more often he will be up there waiting for the winger's run/pass. Downing must stay where he is. There's a reason he has been our best player this season. It's because he is suited to where he is. Moving him somewhere else is bloody madness.

Hey I'm not advocating it I was throwing it up in the air as they say in sales meetings.

The prompt was he started on the left against blackburn and moved over to the right quite quick. This was a VT criticism on Houllier of playing players out of position. Does he prefer the right?

I think Gardner will play the hole in time and I reckon Ash knows it.

No I appreciate you weren't advocating it but asking the question. I was just answering the question :)

For me the breakdown of the hypothetical conversation goes like this.

Fan 1 - "Oh he has been outstanding this season for us in his current position".

Fan 2 - "Let's move him somewhere else then".

Fan 1 - "Yeah that sounds sensible enough".

Cue, grabbing heads and smacking them together.

Best thing about downing is he just seems like a genuine lad who wants to play the best football he can. He never seems to be at the centre of any trouble and hes not a problem player.

He worked hard for Middlesborough and was pretty loyal to them in all fairness. He doesnt strike me as anyone who would force a move and I think he might be at the villa for some years yet.

I think the main reason for him backing out of a lot of challenges is his previous broken leg. He's not the strongest of players and seems a bit worried that his leg might take another crack. Can't fault him for anything else though, always gives 100% and I think I'd be more disappointed if he left than if Young did.

I think the main reason for him backing out of a lot of challenges is his previous broken leg. He's not the strongest of players and seems a bit worried that his leg might take another crack. Can't fault him for anything else though, always gives 100% and I think I'd be more disappointed if he left than if Young did.

Just to clarify it was a broken foot but i agree with you :P

I have said it before but we are a bit light on width. If we got a serious injury to one of DJ, Ash or Albie we would be down to two (although I know Gab can play wide - well sort of) so I would rather they didn't try any heroics on the half way line and left the serious tackling to the DCMs and defence. Downing has been available for almost every game since his return from the broken foot and that is important to us, even if for some of those it is as an option from the bench.

I have said it before but we are a bit light on width. If we got a serious injury to one of DJ, Ash or Albie we would be down to two (although I know Gab can play wide - well sort of) so I would rather they didn't try any heroics on the half way line and left the serious tackling to the DCMs and defence. Downing has been available for almost every game since his return from the broken foot and that is important to us, even if for some of those it is as an option from the bench.

Delph played wide left at leeds.

I think he needs a chant or something, i'm sick of hearing the people around me shouting Downing is shit etc even though he has been one of our best players.

Amen to that!!

How about to the "du du du du, f*ckin' useless".. tune...

Du, du, du, du, DJ Downing

Du, du, du, du, DJ Downing

?

Though it's not the strongest of chants. Downing definatly needs one. He's probably our most consistent player this year and get's nothing, not even when he scores.

Â