The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think this could be the makings of an alcoholic later in his career/life as he seems to lack self control. 

I'd say he's in pretty good control to not do this between July-May every single year. If he was drinking during the season it's going to be fairly hard to hide given the spot light on him already.

Just now, AndyM3000 said:

I'd say he's in pretty good control to not do this between July-May every single year. If he was drinking during the season it's going to be fairly hard to hide given the spot light on him already.

He says he eats a Chinese take away after every game but I’ve never seen a video of it on social media.

We have managed to see him several times completely wasted and borderline conscious from drinking.

Is there any other major footballers in this era we’ve seen like that? Not many.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I think there is a fine line between celebrating by having a few and acting the fool to what Jack is doing. To do it for basically 3 days straight and end up in the state he's in, isn't a good look for himself or his club. 

People seem to be lapping his behaviour up, 'Jack the lad' and all that but I think it's a bit embarrassing. He clearly loves being centre stage and while the fans & media stand by watching, goading him on, he's playing up to it even more. 

I think he has a very unhealthy relationship with drink. He is clearly a binge drinker and we only see snippets of that, usually post-season, if he's got something to celebrate. It's already led him into breaking the law in the past and all I see is a bloke who is going to run into health problems, sooner rather than later, who's career won't stand the test of time due to this. 

As others have said, life is to be enjoyed and excellence should be celebrated but you can do that without coming across as a binge drinking clown. 

This is why I don't get it when people think we might take him back in a couple of years. He'll be a wreck by then. Not having him back just for one last sentimental payday thanks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blunther said:

This is why I don't get it when people think we might take him back in a couple of years. He'll be a wreck by then. 

I can have a decent sized bet he won't be a wreck. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Anyway weirdest thing is Villa fans laughing this off and defending him when this prick dived against us and talked us down in recent years

Some of them are the ones defending City for financially cheating

I agree with this. Why are so many people forgetting the dive????

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

I can have a decent sized bet he won't be a wreck. 

Okay, a wreck is hyperbole. But to play into your 30s at the top level you need to take pretty good care of yourself. Knock 10% off his sharpness and performances and he'd just be someone dialling it in for big wages. If we're going to have older players I want them to be consummate professionals. 

Obviously this could just be his one big pissup for a near unprecedented feat, but stick it with the other pissups we've seen, the drink-driving and the knowledge that to do a session that long you pretty much have to be on the beak, and I'd put money on him not having a particularly long career at the top.

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I doubt man City care that he's getting huge amounts of social media traffic for their treble celebrations

Would any of us here have seen any of it if it wasn't for grealish? I wouldn't

Handy for a bit of sportswashing too 👍

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

“I love this club so much!” Throwing out those blue hearts like candy again. Next contract he's going to call them "my club" at this rate. 

Sweet jesus. Let it go. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I think this could be the makings of an alcoholic later in his career/life as he seems to lack self control. 

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Yet he seems to be the only one just like last season

Lots of people like to go out drinking (far more often than Jack does) and aren’t alcoholics

The hyperbole in here is absolutely insane 😂😂

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Lots of people like to go out drinking (far more often than Jack does) and aren’t alcoholics

The hyperbole in here is absolutely insane 😂😂

Nobody has said he’s an alcoholic have they? I didn’t. Just that he’s potentially on a similar path, with a similar personality type to other high profile footballers who ended up alcoholics. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nobody has said he’s an alcoholic have they? I didn’t. Just that he’s potentially on a similar path, with a similar personality type to other high profile footballers who ended up alcoholics. 

You literally said it was the makings of an alcoholic. 

Half the country go out and get wasted in their 20’s. We don’t all turn into alcoholics. 
If you saw a picture of me in my 20s doing exactly the same thing would you say I had the makings of an alcoholic?

It’s bizarre. 

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You literally said it was the makings of an alcoholic. 

Half the country go out and get wasted in their 20’s. We don’t all turn into alcoholics. 
If you saw a picture of me in my 20s doing exactly the same thing would you say I had the makings of an alcoholic?

It’s bizarre. 

Well my school textbooks told me if I got for a pint at the weekend that will turn into a pint every night and the next stage is a penniless tramp and dead by 40 so Jack should be worried /s

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

“The makings of” isn’t the same thing.

”The makings of a world class player” is not the same as being a world class player.

He’s a professional athlete who seems to behave in a way very different to that of other professional athletes. That’s a concern already, it’s not the norm to get that battered in that environment.

We’ve seen this type of behaviour from the likes of Merson, Best, Adams, Gascogne who all struggled with alcohol later on in their careers.

Merson and Gascoine used to take handfuls of sleeping tablets and down red wine and then try to stay awake. Because they were bored. 

Paul McGrath used to go missing for days because he couldn’t stop drinking. 

All at the heights of their career. 

As far as I can see Jack Grealish gets absolutely wasted a few times a year. It’s nowhere near the same thing 

5 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

As an alcoholic myself, it’s darn near impossible for any of us to tell if he is.

Does he crave it? Does he act on those cravings? Is it affecting his daily life? Those are questions that nobody other than Jack himself and a few people very close to him will know the answer to. And to the plenty of people will say “he’s a top level footballer, of course it isn’t affecting his daily life.” The term “functional alcoholic” exists for a reason.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. He may be able to control his urges now (one thing that does seem obvious is that he has serious urges to drink - he’s always the one most wasted at these celebrations). However, when he’s retired at 35 with limitless wealth and nothing else to do… who knows where it leads.

He has shown patterns of risky behavior for years now. Excessive celebrations, slipping off to McCormack’s house during Covid, etc. That’s not saying he currently is or trending towards becoming an alcoholic. It’s just a red flag that he may be at higher risk than the regular bloke in his twenties who likes some pints on the weekends.

Sorry mods if this is inappropriate for the thread. I’m happy for Jack, I think he deserves to celebrate and hope for his sake that’s all the past few days have been - a celebration.

This is kind of my point. He might be. But there’s no evidence for it apart from he likes to get wasted every now and then. 
But that’s circumstantial, lots of people do that and they’re not alcoholics. 

What I have issue with is people jumping to the conclusion that he’s going to be an alcoholic and his career will be over when he’s 30 because he’s had a bender for a couple of days. It’s madness

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Merson and Gascoine used to take handfuls of sleeping tablets and down red wine and then try to stay awake. Because they were bored. 

Paul McGrath used to go missing for days because he couldn’t stop drinking. 

All at the heights of their career. 

As far as I can see Jack Grealish gets absolutely wasted a few times a year. It’s nowhere near the same thing 

It's worth pointing out, you don't know that he doesn't do the same thing. Merson and Gazza were two exceptional footballers. At the time it was known they liked a drink, but it wasn't known how bad they were. Same could well be the case with Grealish. 

Also, most people are acknowledging that probably isn't the case, but the way he is taking his actions to the extreme currently, and the way he has done so in the past, make him a higher risk.  Walker is probably the closest to him in terms of a party animal in that city side, and he was the one holding him upright the morning after. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Just now, MrBlack said:

It's worth pointing out, you don't know that he doesn't do the same thing. Merson and Gazza were two exceptional footballers. At the time it was known they liked a drink, but it wasn't known how bad they were. Same could well be the case with Grealish. 

Also, most people are acknowledging that probably isn't the case, but the way he is taking his actions to the extreme currently, and the way he has done so in the past, make him a higher risk.  Walker is probably the closest to him in terms of a part animal, and he was the one holding him upright the morning after. 

Of course I don’t know. But I’m not the one calling him a potential alcoholic. The burden is on other people to provide the evidence. 

It’s like me saying he sniffs glue, but having no evidence and saying “yeah but he might, you don’t know”

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Â