The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

52 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Hmmmm I don't think I can imagine football having a draft like system like American handball does.

Yeah i call it hand ball because I have never understood it being called football where 90% maybe little more is played with the ball in your arms and the other percentage is only when it's a goal kick, its a name that just doesnt fit it's sport.

Back to having a draft system in football, what do you guys think would happen if it ever got to that point. I think talent would more evenly be spread out amongst the clubs that is for sure.

I've been reliably informed that it's called football because the ball is a foot long.  Not sure if that's true or not but either way it's a great snippit of information.  Maybe our American readers can enlighten us!

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

How much did Palace want for Zaha? That's probably roughly the ballpark in terms of how important Grealish is to us. Maybe a bit extra since he's a fan and all.

Of course, this is only if we stay up. 

I wouldn't even know where to start with his transfer valuation. Surely anything sub £100 million doesn't benefit us?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turvontour said:

I wouldn't even know where to start with his transfer valuation. Surely anything sub £100 million doesn't benefit us?

To us fans it would be way more than 100 mill, to other clubs alot less.

Didn't the Man city or spurs manager come out and say that even they couldn't pay for Jack because our club would just demand an insane amount and he's worth it as well.

It all depends how badly a club would like to see us fail and if it would be worth that much money in relieving Jack from our possession. They would also be gaining a crazy hot player who makes things happen and if he continues repeatedly then he will surely be an headache to all in this league for a long time to come. So is he worth paying whatever we'd be asking, again its how desperate those top clubs are to stop us taking one of there spots. If we were getting close to challenging and on a regular basis making higher than six place, i could see a crazy offer come in of stupid proportions, even if it's only to spite us and stop us from advancing. The risk then would be worth it for them and we'd most never recover from the sale of Jack because he's one in a billion, talent like him doesn't come round to our club very often, at least not each year or few anyway.

Edited by Dave-R

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

with the current squad you'd say our place in the premier league...plus then player wise the majority of the clubs marketability, with how many years left on his contract?

is he "worth" £100m to another club because of what he does on the football pitch? of course not, is he worth £100m to aston villa? easily

football economics and player value goes way beyond the players ability to kick a football, hence Pogba's transfer value and worth, you're paying for his insta followers

Pogba is an elite jack of all trades he would be much better in a side with a quality defensive midfielder and creator the problem is united rely on him to do both which is basically impossible. He is basically mcginn with more talent and less energy. 

Delivering the goods week in week out now isn't he? 

Remarkable player. Draws them in, the hips turn and he's away.

Slowly becoming the second best player I have seen wearing the shirt after God. And he's starting to look a bit like Jesus, literally. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

On 25/11/2019 at 22:33, villa4europe said:

Carragher got the nail on the head, when he picks up the ball opponents slow down and watch him, scared of what he’s going to do, it’s not just one defender, it’s 2 or 3, I think during the 2nd half for the one lay off to hourihane it was 4

He described it as a quality that not even the players in the front 3 of Liverpool and city have...

but there’s no stat for it, there’s no highlight for it, you have to watch him every week to get it, he’s not Maddison or mount, he’s different to any player I’ve seen, he’s above Merse for me already, he’s unique and I don’t think neutrals and rivals get it

100% he's above Merson. And I loved that guy too. Merson had magic, Jack transcends magic.

He's the connoisseur's footballer.

• Like 3

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Let's just hope it's a long time from now. 

Selfishly I hope it never happens, however I don't think Jack will ever reach his true potential here...........give us this and next season please Jack.

On 26/11/2019 at 12:34, villa4europe said:

Think the point was more England don't know how to use players of that ilk whereas Spain in particular you can say build their teams around them and are great because of it

We are built around pacey wingers, 100mph central midfielders and brave centre backs 

Jack doesn't fit the England mould like he does other (more successful) nations

Maybe, but he is too good to ignore now, surely? 

Mind you, England wasted Scholes. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Selfishly I hope it never happens, however I don't think Jack will ever reach his true potential here...........give us this and next season please Jack.

Depends how good we are after next season I'd say. I think people still underestimate how much Jack loves it here. Villa fan, Villa captain, Villa manager, Family, Premier League, England, lots and lots of money and whatever girl/guy/other he wants. 

If we're looking like we might break the top 6, or more, he might not want to risk giving all that up. 

Had a poor start to the season in a position which just didn't suit him or our team, but as an advanced playmaker he looks absolutely **** phenomenal. 

I honestly wouldn't sell him for even £ 150 million. I just don't think we could replace him adequately. You're talking about a market where absolutely bang average strikers go for £ 40 million. About 4 years ago Bolasie went for £ 30 million, so you can assume they same caliber now would go for £ 50 million. Then there's the risk it won't work out. Nor will the player have the report with the club. So whatever the offer is, no thanks. Just throw enough money on Jack so he stays forever, unless he for some reason gets seriously crocked. 

Lets just focus on staying in the PL and reinvest TV money and built a team around Jack. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Had a poor start to the season in a position which just didn't suit him or our team

The position suits him. He's a brilliant 8. It was just a slow start.

He came alive at Palace. 

It suits the team better for him to be where he is. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Had a poor start to the season in a position which just didn't suit him or our team, but as an advanced playmaker he looks absolutely **** phenomenal. 

I honestly wouldn't sell him for even £ 150 million. I just don't think we could replace him adequately. You're talking about a market where absolutely bang average strikers go for £ 40 million. About 4 years ago Bolasie went for £ 30 million, so you can assume they same caliber now would go for £ 50 million. Then there's the risk it won't work out. Nor will the player have the report with the club. So whatever the offer is, no thanks. Just throw enough money on Jack so he stays forever, unless he for some reason gets seriously crocked. 

Lets just focus on staying in the PL and reinvest TV money and built a team around Jack. 

You mean the same position he played the whole of last season? I know it's a step up in level, but it's not like this was some magical new role that Jack was given at the start of the season.

I don't think Jack moving out wide was a reflection on his performances, but more to do with shoehorning Hourihane (or Douglas + Nakamba) into the team. And if you watch them play together, there's quite a lot of interchange, Conor sometimes taking up the wide position, and Jack still doing a lot of the same defensive work in the channel that he was doing before.

The point is that Jack really didn't have a "poor" start to the season. He made a couple of defensive mistakes which stick out, but he was mostly very good. I think if the Palace goal had stood, the narrative would be quite different.

And bear in mind you were talking about dropping him from the starting 11 and selling him, and calling anyone who disagreed the butt hurt Grealish fan club. Slightly revisionist history you've cooked up recently about you recognising Jack's tactical weaknesses in the centre mid role.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jack has been fine all season but when he was the middle he had to worry about the defensive side  too much. Last season he didn’t need to due to weaker opposition.

Now he has a free role and can do his thing with the security of Luiz, Hourihane and Nakamba covering the space he vacates or if he loses the ball. I think he would be a fine central midfield in a better team. But we need him to be the main man in an attacking sense.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

You mean the same position he played the whole of last season? I know it's a step up in level, but it's not like this was some magical new role that Jack was given at the start of the season.

I don't think Jack moving out wide was a reflection on his performances, but more to do with shoehorning Hourihane (or Douglas + Nakamba) into the team. And if you watch them play together, there's quite a lot of interchange, Conor sometimes taking up the wide position, and Jack still doing a lot of the same defensive work in the channel that he was doing before.

The point is that Jack really didn't have a "poor" start to the season. He made a couple of defensive mistakes which stick out, but he was mostly very good. I think if the Palace goal had stood, the narrative would be quite different.

And bear in mind you were talking about dropping him from the starting 11 and selling him, and calling anyone who disagreed the butt hurt Grealish fan club. Slightly revisionist history you've cooked up recently about you recognising Jack's tactical weaknesses in the centre mid role.

Different ball game when you move up a division. But moving Jack forward was exactly what was needed. His attacking game is what we need, not his defensive duties. Him playing defensively or box to box in a much larger degree is a negative thing for us. He simply doesn't do that as well as he does when he is stationed further up the pitch. 

But he definitely had a poor start to the season. That's not a subjective thing. It was called out by opposition fans and pundits alike. He and the team looked like a changed animal once he moved into a more attacking playmaker role.  So no, he was not mostly very good. Far from it. 

And yes he didn't perform, so dropping him after him making mistakes and not performing was certainly on the cards for me, fortunately Deano realized he was better off changing it up and moving him forwards. 

And yes that is also correct. There's a fan club of his here that refuses that he can play poorly, and anyone pointing it out are castigated. And anyone who wants a half rational debate can't have that with people who refuses to accept the truth that's infront of them for something that can only be compared to religious reasoning. He's a Villa boy alright, but nobody is doing him a favour by telling him and the world he's playing well when he isn't. That's never acceptable for me and not healthy for any sort of progression in any field. Then it's better players move on.

Fortunately that's not the case, cause even if he played poorly at the start of the season, he's been superb after going into a different role, which suits him way better. So credit to Deano, credit to Jack, and two fingers to those who can't shake the view that he can do no wrong. 

But keep creating an alternative story. You seem good at that. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Jack has been fine all season but when he was the middle he had to worry about the defensive side  too much. Last season he didn’t need to due to weaker opposition.

Now he has a free role and can do his thing with the security of Luiz, Hourihane and Nakamba covering the space he vacates or if he loses the ball. I think he would be a fine central midfield in a better team. But we need him to be the main man in an attacking sense.

Most definitely the truth, but it's also a case where Jack shines is 10-20 yards into the oppositions half. He draws fouls and keeps us ticking, but it's difficult getting there when we are facing much tougher opponents, cause we can't steam roll possession like we did in the championship, so a boxtobox player will automatically sit more defensively than offensively, which doesn't suit Jack.

Ironically I've always thought he'd excell as a more defensive playmaker, but he definitely got it down in a more attacking role. Fortunately his shot is piss poor, or we'd have more suitors than we'd like. 

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Different ball game when you move up a division. But moving Jack forward was exactly what was needed. His attacking game is what we need, not his defensive duties. Him playing defensively or box to box in a much larger degree is a negative thing for us. He simply doesn't do that as well as he does when he is stationed further up the pitch. 

But he definitely had a poor start to the season. That's not a subjective thing. It was called out by opposition fans and pundits alike. He and the team looked like a changed animal once he moved into a more attacking playmaker role.  So no, he was not mostly very good. Far from it. 

And yes he didn't perform, so dropping him after him making mistakes and not performing was certainly on the cards for me, fortunately Deano realized he was better off changing it up and moving him forwards. 

And yes that is also correct. There's a fan club of his here that refuses that he can play poorly, and anyone pointing it out are castigated. And anyone who wants a half rational debate can't have that with people who refuses to accept the truth that's infront of them for something that can only be compared to religious reasoning. He's a Villa boy alright, but nobody is doing him a favour by telling him and the world he's playing well when he isn't. That's never acceptable for me and not healthy for any sort of progression in any field. Then it's better players move on.

Fortunately that's not the case, cause even if he played poorly at the start of the season, he's been superb after going into a different role, which suits him way better. So credit to Deano, credit to Jack, and two fingers to those who can't shake the view that he can do no wrong. 

But keep creating an alternative story. You seem good at that. 

Twisting yourself into a right mess here guv.

He didn't have a poor start and remains our best player when he plays centre mid.

Opposition fans said he was bad did they? The ones who still wet their pants every time his name is mentioned that he dives and isn't as good as Maddison or various Leeds players. Wouldn't use them as a reference point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â