bickster

Who will top the group?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Who will top the group?

• England
    • USA
    • Algeria
    • Slovenia

England really have dropped a major bollock in coming 2nd.

Germany-Argentina path to the semi now as opposed to Ghana-Uruguay. Dress it whatever you want. Them's the facts. Yanks must be larfing their tits off.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Germany-Argentina path to the semi now as opposed to Ghana-Uruguay. Dress it whatever you want. Them's the facts. Yanks must be larfing their tits off.

I see what you mean Bri, and i agree to an extent.

But, is it not better to look at it as, be it the semi's or the final, we have to beat the Brazil's, Argie's and the Spanish at some point?

Or is it just blind patriotism?

But, is it not better to look at it as, be it the semi's or the final, we have to beat the Brazil's, Argie's and the Spanish at some point?

I'm with you, although we've looked ordinary so far, we're capable of beating anyone on our day. We'll have to beat these teams at some point, so why not now. That silly old German clearing in the woods Beckenbauer keeps coming out with rubbish like we're, shit, old etc etc. He's going to end up getting those words rammed back down his throat, because they didn't look anything special yesterday either

Blind patriotism I'm afraid. You don't have to beat all these teams individually to win the world cup. Do you think people will look back at how the USA got to the world cup semis or just that they got there if they get there? The important thing is to win the world cup or get as far as you can. It is not who you beat along the way. It's not like the League Cup in England. England have made it hugely more difficult to get through every single round now. One more goal against Slovenia would've solved all of that.

Blind patriotism I'm afraid. You don't have to beat all these teams individually to win the world cup. Do you think people will look back at how the USA got to the world cup semis or just that they got there if they get there? The important thing is to win the world cup or get as far as you can. It is not who you beat along the way. It's not like the League Cup in England. England have made it hugely more difficult to get through every single round now. One more goal against Slovenia would've solved all of that.

Furry muff, i suppose i agree mate. But its not a sprint, its all good and well coming flying out the blocks and smashing everyone in the group to pieces.

Its like sex mate, you never want to peak too soon. 8)

sorry wiggy but i cant agree, england did ok against slovakia but against germanyt they will ahve to play better, and against argentina even better.

against ghanan and urugary we can play poor and get the win. against the germans and argies we will have to put an outstanding performance in. if rooney was on fire i would feel mroe confident but he looks really poor so far

I think the problem Dem, was that we pretty much expected us to breeze through the group (me included) so the mentality going into the first 2 games wasnt right. Obviously the game yesterday was different thus we all saw a massive improvement, we still were not great but we improved.

Im hoping its a case of you rise to the occassion, the better the opposition the better the performance. Im also hoping that noe Capello has relaxed his regime, our boys will be able to play more relaxed.

As for Rooney, he needs a goal, i think it really is that simple. One goal could well open the flood gates, he still looked very frustrated at times, he must have been thinking to himself 'what more can i do?'

Rooney is a coiled spring and fingers crossed he will explode on the Germans.

I couldn't care less that our route is more difficult. I am just relieved to be in the knockout stage . Ill tell you something, Germany won't be looking forward to playing us either.

Rooney is a coiled spring and fingers crossed he will explode on the Germans.

I think he will and if he doesn't then it will go to penalties. The thing about us now is even though we have not played that well, we have only let in one goal and that was an almighty f**k up.

James looked steady, Terry looked better and upson got better as the game went on. Barry was, imo, our worst player, but should start to get match fit. Gerrard looked lively and even lampard started to look for the ball. Rooney started to show glimpses of what we all see week in week out in the PL. Defoe is a goal machine, little else to his game, but he just knows how to score and thank f**k for that.

If i was the german coach then i would stick a player very close to Milner and try and stop the supply into the box, its then we will see what the rest have to offer, but then again cant Milner play on the left side as well?

If we are gonna win then Milner's gonna be a big part of this team.

Germany will know we are a real danger, but which England will turn up?

Ideally yes we would like to have finished first. However the chances are we would have to meet some of the better teams in the semis and final anyway.

Yes, at least this way you wont have to do that now :)

Ideally yes we would like to have finished first. However the chances are we would have to meet some of the better teams in the semis and final anyway.

Yes, at least this way you wont have to do that now :)

Ha possibly. I think we could have enough to beat Germany but only if we can perform to somewhere near our best. I think Argentina would be too good though.

If England do win the world cup, they will have definitely deserved it. look at who Brazil had to play to win the 2002 tournament. It was an absolute joke. Costa Rica, China, Belgium, Turkey x 2, England and Germany. Their toughest game was an england team with a 39 year old seaman, danny mills, an injured beckham, sinclair and heskey. Germany had a very average team but had a nice route to the final playing korea, paraguay. Thats why Ronaldo scored so many goals, but do they care? of course not they won the trophy. But I would like the winners of this tournament to of a) played well throughout rather then winning through luck or bad refereeing and B) of played some decent sides along the way.

Beckenbauer in fresh dig at England

Franz Beckenbauer believes England look "burnt out" ahead of their second-round match against Germany at the World Cup in South Africa.

The two sides will meet in Bloemfontein on Sunday after England failed to win Group C despite beating Slovenia 1-0.

"Stupidly, the English have slipped up a little by finishing second in their group," said German great Beckenbauer.

"The English look a little tired... they are burnt out. We respect them but we certainly don't fear them."

England's win over Slovenia made certain of their place in the knockout stages of the competiion, but they were denied a meeting with Ghana on Saturday when a late winner by the United States against Algeria put them on top of the group table.

Beckenbauer attacked England's style of play earlier in the tournament, saying they had "gone backwards into the bad old days of kick and rush", but admitted they looked better in their final group match.

"England's first two appearances at the World Cup were paltry, but they improved against Slovenia," Beckenbauer, who won the tournament as a player and a coach, told German newspaper Bild.

"What makes them dangerous is that their key players Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard and John Terry sense that this could be the last chance in their career to win a World Cup. And after all, England have been waiting since 1966 for a title.

"After they failed to qualify for Euro 2008, England hit rock bottom. Fabio Capello appears to have brought discipline to the troops, [he] has brought in a new structure."

Beckenbauer said "a game like this [England v Germany] should be a semi-final, not a last-16 game".

However, he believes the German players are fresher than England's, a situation he put down to the rigours of Premier League football.

"The Premier League players have got to play far more games than their Bundesliga colleagues, including two national cup competitions," added Beckenbauer, who scored one of West Germany's goals in a 3-2 quarter-final win against England in Mexico in 1970.

"Therefore, when it comes to a World Cup or a European Championships, they are burnt out. Our players, on the other hand, seem to be in a physically better condition."

Cheers Franz, teamtalk sorted.

Was chatting on the phone to my German supplier, they are pretty laid back and happy with the draw. Come on England lets play somewhere close to our potential!!!!!

I can tell if the Germans are arrogant or just super confidant?