Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Over the last week I've tried with a couple of new shows. Maniac, which seemed like a waste of my time. Stan Against Evil, which made me long for Ash. Mayans, which at least seems better than Sons of Anarchy.

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

BCS has been a touch up and down for me this season. Some excellent episodes but a few that surprisingly didn't grab me like the show normally does.

The penultimate episode was good but the couple before that not so much.

Yeah it's been very slow.

Still love it, but it's definitely been a slow burner this season.

Haven't seen this week's episode yet but will probably give it a watch tonight.

Anyone seen anything about this Sabrina the Teenage Witch reboot on Netflix?

I can't really tell what it is.

It's Sabrina, so I assumed it was aimed at teenagers (mostly girls). But it actually looks like a much darker "scarier" interpretation. It's called "The chilling adventures of sabrina" and the trailer basically makes it look like a horror so now I'm not sure who it's aimed at :)

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Anyone seen anything about this Sabrina the Teenage Witch reboot on Netflix?

I can't really tell what it is.

It's Sabrina, so I assumed it was aimed at teenagers (mostly girls). But it actually looks like a much darker "scarier" interpretation. It's called "The chilling adventures of sabrina" and the trailer basically makes it look like a horror so now I'm not sure who it's aimed at :)

It's based on the more recent versions of the Sabrina comics which went much darker and more horror inspired. But it's still aimed at teenagers - originally it was being developed as a spin-off of the recent Riverdale series, which is absolutely a modern teen show, and was due to air on the same channel in the US, the CW, which is essentially a teen/early twenties network.

Riverdale has been very well received, and the darker take on Sabrina works very well, so it should be at least decent I suspect, if that's your thing.

• Like 1

I'm 4 episodes in to the new season of Bojack. It's not great, is it?

I think it's got better every year since the first one, so it's not going to keep blowing me away every time, but it's the weakest season so far, I think.

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's based on the more recent versions of the Sabrina comics which went much darker and more horror inspired. But it's still aimed at teenagers - originally it was being developed as a spin-off of the recent Riverdale series, which is absolutely a modern teen show, and was due to air on the same channel in the US, the CW, which is essentially a teen/early twenties network.

Riverdale has been very well received, and the darker take on Sabrina works very well, so it should be at least decent I suspect, if that's your thing.

It isn't my thing to be honest, but having watched the original Sabrina series when I was a kid it's got some nostalgic value for me. Otherwise it's the kind of thing I wouldn't really look twice at (apart from the fact it's got Lucy Davis in who I like)

I may give an episode or two a watch and see what it's like

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It isn't my thing to be honest, but having watched the original Sabrina series when I was a kid it's got some nostalgic value for me. Otherwise it's the kind of thing I wouldn't really look twice at (apart from the fact it's got Lucy Davis in who I like)

I may give an episode or two a watch and see what it's like

It's not going to have much to do with the Melissa Joan Hart version I'd suspect, beyond character names and some basic tropes. I think it'll be a decent watch though, I'm tempted to give it a go and I'm not the kind of person attracted to stuff like Riverdale.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's not going to have much to do with the Melissa Joan Hart version I'd suspect, beyond character names and some basic tropes. I think it'll be a decent watch though, I'm tempted to give it a go and I'm not the kind of person attracted to stuff like Riverdale.

Yeah I thought as much. I guess I meant I wouldn't have even noticed the show if it wasn't called "Sabrina", so that's the only reason it's got any interest from me.

Might be alright, I'll give it a go.

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

anyone watched 4 blocks?

trying to find some good german TV shows to watch, I've seen dark, not watched Deutschland 83 yet

Get it watched, it's fantastic!

• Like 1

Just finished "Killing Eve". 

Very enjoyable romp, somehow both spoofing and paying homage to the whole espionage genre. Very much character-, rather than plot-driven, and a self-conscious exercise in style, you can tell that the cast had an absolute gas playing in it. Only let down for me by the very end, which looked like it had been hastily rewritten when they heard that a second series had been greenlighted. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

started cloak and dagger, seems ok, will work my through it over the weekend, watch more of the deuce, will try and watch the bodyguard too, had a look whats coming - 

5th October - man in the high castle

6th October - snowfall

11th October - Riverdale

12th October - the Romanoffs (from the man behind mad men but the early reviews are really poor)

12th October - ReMastered - new docu series looking at music mysteries, episode 1 is who shot bob marley, other episodes include who killed jam master jay, sam cookes deaths

12th October - Fightworld - new docu series with frank grillo travelling the world looking at various fighting cultures

12th October - the haunting of hill house

19th October - daredevil

19th October - making a murderer

2nd Nov - Narcos Mexico

9th Nov - the sinner

5th Dec - dogs of berlin 

Netflix are taking the piss launching daredevil / making a murderer and then house of cards / narcos on the same day 

still no UK dates for star wars resistance, the first (sean penn) kidding (jim carrey) fortitude, luther, all american, castle rock, Deutschland 83,  

and then there is also stuff that i dont watch like dr who, mr robot, black lightning, the gifted, walking dead, empire, flash, supergirl, arrow, legends of tomorrow, blindspot, ray donovan, house of cards, runaways, marvelous miss maisel, black mirror

getting daft

• Like 2

Having watched The Pacific a few weeks ago and enjoyed it, it did make me want to go back and re-watch Band of Brothers. Damn it's so good, the Bastogne episode gets me every time :(  Spoilers seems a bit weird for a real life account but

Spoiler

Buck's breaking point when he sees his friends both with legs blown off ? devastating stuff.

I also completely forgot Michael Fassbender and Tom Hardy were in it!

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I also completely forgot Michael Fassbender and Tom Hardy were in it!

I watched it again last month and was amazed at how many actors in it are now "pretty big deals". Some superb casting there (apart from Ross off of Friends). 

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

DC have tweeted this too for anyone who watches their stuff - 

DosdC0nV4AA9vKv.jpg:large

Based purely on the names of those shows and the fonts used, they all look appalling. 

• Like 3

Swamp Thing was supposed to be rated hard R so that might be fun to see what they've done with it and if they really were allowed to do that.

other than that, not for me.

Swamp Thing is the only thing in that list that has potential to be more than complete pap.

Even with Titans being surprisingly good early word of mouth. That'll forever be the series with Robin growling '**** Batman' and a production budget seemingly smaller than an average car repair bill.

On 04/10/2018 at 16:01, mjmooney said:

Just finished "Killing Eve". 

Very enjoyable romp, somehow both spoofing and paying homage to the whole espionage genre. Very much character-, rather than plot-driven, and a self-conscious exercise in style, you can tell that the cast had an absolute gas playing in it. Only let down for me by the very end, which looked like it had been hastily rewritten when they heard that a second series had been greenlighted. 

Agreed, Mike.  I've really enjoyed it as something different (which took me by surprise a bit).  I've compared it to Kill Bill but even then that doesn't really do it justice.  This is a TV series after all, and it does what it intends to do brilliantly.  I'm not surprised it has been commissioned for a second series and I suppose a very well done must go to BBC America. 

Â