Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Latest episode of Game Of Thrones was very good!

I do have a question about it, so I will put it in white. The following is a spoiler so if you havent seen it, don't read.

***Spoiler***

Earlier on in the series Stannis shagged a red headed woman, who then gave birth to some kind of spirit which killed Stannis' brother (think it was his brother). Why didn't the smoke monster thing go into battle with Stannis? Why doesnt he use it to kill Joffery?

Not really sure why this isnt used all the time. I think there some sort of sacrifice that required to generate this sort of thing. Have gone through all the books and it isnt covered much in there. Wouldnt look to much into it, its pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Didn't the Davos chap say he would only be Stannis' hand and lead the fleet of ships if they left her behind? For her work to work, she had to be on the land local to the person being attacked which is why Davos smuggled her on land during the night to kill Renly Baratheon.

watched the bbc documentary on the fall of singapore, was really interesting, didnt realise how key it was seen to the empire
Damn, I'm always complaining that nobody in this thread watches history documentaries, then somebody does - and I missed it!

There were two great documentaries on Singapore.

The Fall of Singapore: The Great Betrayal

and

Singapore 1942: End of Empire

I've put links to both from iplayer. Part 2 of End of Empire is on this weekend.

I wasn't :D

But I was wondering why you asked the question.

Didn't know my fair city (:P) held so much interest for people like you - have always thought of us as a very inconsequential country in the grand scheme of things. Certainly does seem that way if you ask the Americans (most of whom I suspect either have not heard of us before, or think we are part of China.)

Has anyone been watching The Bridge? I absolutely loved the first series of The Killing, (season two was a bit of a let down mind), so wondered if The Bridge was something similar?

Cheers guys and gals!

It is excellent, that is all you need to know

there was another decent one last week as well mike, hilters children

not sure why they put "hitler" in the title, it was a documentary following the bloodline of several nazi leaders, goerings grandaughter, hoess grandson (who visited auschwitz) himmlers neice, franks son (who was really interesting)

that was pretty good too, was surprising especially in the case of franks family how many of them denied it, he said his sister moved to south africa because she liked what was happening

Didn't know my fair city (:P) held so much interest for people like you - have always thought of us as a very inconsequential country in the grand scheme of things. Certainly does seem that way if you ask the Americans (most of whom I suspect either have not heard of us before, or think we are part of China.)

It's the 70th anniversary of the fall of Singapore so there's been a bit of attention here recently.

It's considered the worst military defeat in British history (130k soldiers captured) and is regarded as the beginning of the end of the British Empire.

If you're able to get hold of both documentaries, they're well worth watching.

It's the 70th anniversary of the fall of Singapore so there's been a bit of attention here recently.

It's considered the worst military defeat in British history (130k soldiers captured) and is regarded as the beginning of the end of the British Empire.

This. Singapore doesn't impinge on the American imagination the way it does on the British.

Anywhere that's a former part of the Empire/Commonwealth has a pretty strong resonance with most Brits (over a certain age, anyway).

Singapore? Gin slings at Raffles' Hotel, old bean!

The fall of Singapore is an incredibly interesting period of WW2, and moreover British history. It represents one of the biggest cock-ups in our military history. Beaten by chaps on bikes.

The fall of Singapore is an incredibly interesting period of WW2, and moreover British history. It represents one of the biggest cock-ups in our military history. Beaten by chaps on bikes.
The Brits also behaved incredibly badly to the locals.

For years it had all been "We're all in this together" - but as soon as the Japanese arrived and there was limited space on the trains, planes and boast out of there, it was suddenly "Sorry old chap, whites only".

Those left behind had to fend for themselves - and it wasn't good.

yeah they said about both of those things, claimed that we sent over an average at best general vs possibly japans best

they also said australia compounded it by sending over a useless one of their own, gordon bennett

said that seeing the english retreating, down trodden, under nourished and defeated etc was a shock to the natives, many of whom rejoiced as they saw the japanese as their liberators, who used clever propaganda to appeal to them as equal asians

also detailed the role and some of the turning of indian regiments and the way the australian PM started to move away from the UK and edge closer to the states because they didnt think we would be able to stop the japs

said that seeing the english retreating, down trodden, under nourished and defeated etc was a shock to the natives, many of whom rejoiced as they saw the japanese as their liberators, who used clever propaganda to appeal to them as equal asians

Partly true, although my primary and secondary school history classes strived above all to emphasise the cruelty of the Japs towards the locals (particularly the Chinese).

Mad men was superb tonight

With that, GoT, touch, awake, Alcatraz, great British menu, hit and miss, FNL, walking dead, and I've just discovered and become addicted to storage wars (but gone off the seemingly fake storage hunters) tv is brilliant at the moment, sky have decided to show house from the start too

I think it's a coincidence but they all finish before clashing with the euros too

Â