Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I don't normally care for boxsetting on iplayer etc, but I really would have liked it for this latest series of Happy Valley, everything about it has been excellent. The downside is waiting for weekly episodes.

• Like 1

The first of at least 3 different adaptations of The Three-Body Problem (Chinese sci-fi books) is out now.

This one is the Chinese TV-series (there is also a US series coming and a Chinese movie or movies) called Three-Body and the first ep is rather promising. 5 episodes are out already and apparently they are dropping a new one every day until the 14th of February so 30 eps in total. It currently sits on 8.4 on IMDB but only a couple hundred votes so pinch of salt.

Tencent Video will launch “The Three-Body Problem” TV series – Panda!Yoo

It's on the high seas.

Apparently there is also an animated show that everybody hates.

• Thanks 1

On 17/01/2023 at 16:08, Rodders said:

Started Bad Sisters last night. It is so good, though never have I wished for a violent death to befall someone so much since Jofre from GoT. The dude is such a prick. Only 2 episodes in but feels like we might binge through it very quickly

Prediction

Reveal hidden contents

the wife actually loses her shit and does it maybe

Finished already. What a show. Satisfying ending too. 

4 hours ago, sne said:

The first of at least 3 different adaptations of The Three-Body Problem (Chinese sci-fi books) is out now.

This one is the Chinese TV-series (there is also a US series coming and a Chinese movie or movies) called Three-Body and the first ep is rather promising. 5 episodes are out already and apparently they are dropping a new one every day until the 14th of February so 30 eps in total. It currently sits on 8.4 on IMDB but only a couple hundred votes so pinch of salt.

Tencent Video will launch “The Three-Body Problem” TV series – Panda!Yoo

It's on the high seas.

Apparently there is also an animated show that everybody hates.

The books were highly rated, so I read the first one in 2022. Wow, the writing and plot were so bad I had to force myself to finish it. I’d give it 2/10. I have a feeling it was badly translated though so hopefully the US series is better.  

The theme of the plot sounds really good though as that is what made me try the books in the first place.

What did you think of the series?

8 hours ago, ender4 said:

The books were highly rated, so I read the first one in 2022. Wow, the writing and plot were so bad I had to force myself to finish it. I’d give it 2/10. I have a feeling it was badly translated though so hopefully the US series is better.  

The theme of the plot sounds really good though as that is what made me try the books in the first place.

I've not read the books and just started on the show so early days. Will report back how it goes 

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Just finished Vikings Valhalla. 

Excellent as ever, great last episode, hopefully won't be a years wait for season three. 

No spoilers please, I've just got two more episodes to go. 

Season three is going to have to leap forward about 50 years. 

Finished season 1 of white lotus, its good I'd say 7.5/10 hard to pigeon hole and worth a watch but not unmissable

Started succession, I don't know how HBO do it, its just got that gleam, that HBO quality that makes it feel like it's the best thing going, after 10 mins there's no doubt over what it'll be

• Like 1

Finished Tokyo Vice (Bbc2 and iPlayer) based on the true events of a young American journalist working for a Tokyo newspaper.

It was decent but pretty much ripped up and rewrote the source material, which was a shame as the book was great.

On 19/01/2023 at 00:38, ender4 said:

7 episodes into this now and I'm not sure what to make of it yet.

It's really slow and there is a lot of science and philosophy along with the cultural difference you get from a Chinese standpoint. But it's still pretty interesting, the acting is fine and it looks pretty good.

Will keep watching because having not read the books I'm intrigued where the story is going.

First couple episodes of Mayor of Kingstown are excellent. Great show but I guess we won't get a s3 anytime soon since Renner got badly injured last month. Unless they kill him off in the show.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2023 at 00:31, markavfc40 said:

Three episodes into the 6 part true story Black Bird about about a convict who was convinced to get closer to a serial killer to make sure he stayed in prison. It is really good. Includes Ray Liotta in his last ever role.

Cracking show. Top tier acting from the big guy with the sideburns (burnsides).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Cracking show. Top tier acting from the big guy with the sideburns (burnsides).

Yes mate I have finished it now and thought it was excellent. As you say the guy who played the serial killer played the role really well. 

On 20/01/2023 at 21:13, rjw63 said:

Excellent as ever, great last episode, hopefully won't be a years wait for season three. 

Also now finished it, excellent. Looking forward to s3. 

As a history geek, I think they got the difficult balance between historical record, legends from the Norse sagas, and adventure/romance fiction exactly right. By the time the next (final) series completes, they'll have covered some aspects of the entire Viking era, all the way from the first raids on the Baltic coast and NE England in the 8th Century, to the battles of Stamford Bridge and Hastings in 1066. Much of it hokum, but that's as it should be. 

Landmark television. 

• Like 1

On 20/01/2023 at 21:13, rjw63 said:

I think they filmed series two and three back to back so the wait shouldn't be too long 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â