Luke Young admits he'll leave Villa Park this summer

MR.Smalljob

Does anyone geniunally believe Carlos Cuellar is better than Luke Young?

Not "I can see why he did it" etc....just a general question? who do you believe is the better right back from what you have witnessed.

I'm not sure, actually.

Luke Young was great last season and has put in som decent matches this season too. He was superb in the first 60 min against Tottenham playing left back (as was Beye playing right back), but he was terrible against Chelsea.

Cuellar has some dreadful passes, but was easily our best player against City, when he had Bellamy in his pocket.

Young is a better rb, but cuellar is a better defender and tackler.

I hope he can stick around for another season. He was valuable when he played almost half of our league matches this season. But to be honest, I no longer have a problem with Cuellar playing in the rb position.

Not "I can see why he did it" etc....just a general question? who do you believe is the better right back from what you have witnessed.

LY is a better RB, but who brings better results to the team?

I don't know, somebody can crack out the stats although they will be open to interpretation as well.

LY is a better RB, but who brings better results to the team?

I don't know, somebody can crack out the stats although they will be open to interpretation as well.

You can't have this discussion without context. Given the way we play, Cuellar adds alot defensively to our team at right back. He's can be poor going forward and that makes some people really angry (hilariously so), but he adds more to our system than he detracts.

Who is the more rounded right back? Luke Young, without a doubt.

Bloody shame.

Lets face it, none of us know why he hasn't played but from the outside it is clearly mystifying.

He is a class class RB that, if he wanted, would probably be lining up on Monday in an England shirt.

Even if Carlos was performing at his maximum, then Luke is clearly the better right back, but the truth is Carlos has struggled badly, so it makes it even more strange.

However, what I would say, and I said it in September and got slagged totally for it , is it seems Luke may have a suspect attitude.

The rumoured fall out over playing left back.

The having 3 months off. Now I felt sorry for him, but I would suggest that virtually every person on here who works and knows there contract would tell you that for the same circs, they would get maximum 2 weeks compassionate leave, and some, including me, a lot less. It was a shame but 3 months was excessive.

Then the saying no to England seems well odd. 3 months before the world cup, Capello says he wants you and you say no - why ?, although I think it is disgusting Carragher was even asked, you'd be mental to turn it down. (Scholes is different, hes had so many big nights, a world cup is probably nothing special) but Young has done nothing and had a chance to go down in history.

Then, as I saidm, there must have been a reason ONeill wouldn't pick him.

So although I think he is great, and should be playing - I'll leave off having a go at ONeill as I suspect there is more to it than meets the eye.

However, what I would say, and I said it in September and got slagged totally for it , is it seems Luke may have a suspect attitude.

The having 3 months off. Now I felt sorry for him, but I would suggest that virtually every person on here who works and knows there contract would tell you that for the same circs, they would get maximum 2 weeks compassionate leave, and some, including me, a lot less. It was a shame but 3 months was excessive.

Then the saying no to England seems well odd. 3 months before the world cup, Capello says he wants you and you say no - why ?, although I think it is disgusting Carragher was even asked, you'd be mental to turn it down. (Scholes is different, hes had so many big nights, a world cup is probably nothing special) but Young has done nothing and had a chance to go down in history.

I think in this scenario if he took three months, he needed three months. (In fact I'm not even sure it was that long, he was off initially, but was available for selection in September/Oct IIRC).

I don't know the bloke, so second guessing is always dangerous. But part of his decision re England might also be a result of this. Easy to say on the outside looking in "get on with it, most people only get two weeks compassionate leave" et.c. But we truly don't know how much of an impact last summer had on his state of mind. I'm guessing as an older brother he would have in some way felt responsible. Sometimes you can't just crack on.

If he decides that his time is better served with his family than training with England and not actually featuring, then fair play.

I think in this scenario if he took three months, he needed three months. (In fact I'm not even sure it was that long, he was off initially, but was available for selection in September/Oct IIRC).

I don't know the bloke, so second guessing is always dangerous. But part of his decision re England might also be a result of this. Easy to say on the outside looking in "get on with it, most people only get two weeks compassionate leave" et.c. But we truly don't know how much of an impact last summer had on his state of mind. I'm guessing as an older brother he would have in some way felt responsible. Sometimes you can't just crack on.

If he decides that his time is better served with his family than training with England and not actually featuring, then fair play.

Nice post HE.

Lest we forget, L Young was a strong candidate for POTY the season before last. This is MONs most baffling decision. Clough was before my time but I wouldn't be suprised if he put a CB at RB at some point.

Luke young is a very good right back but last season we only lost 6 games in the league and I think only 4 teams conceded less goals than us. We also improved from the season before.

I really don't care if young plays or cuellar plays as I think they both offer us things in the rb position but it's hardly disgraceful behaviour or shocking management for MON to prefer one player over another, especially when our defensive record kind of justifies that decision.

Luke young is a very good right back but last season we only lost 6 games in the league and I think only 4 teams conceded less goals than us. We also improved from the season before.

I really don't care if young plays or cuellar plays as I think they both offer us things in the rb position but it's hardly disgraceful behaviour or shocking management for MON to prefer one player over another, especially when our defensive record kind of justifies that decision.

But do individual peformances? Cuellar had been the poorest out of the back 4 by a long distance.

Poor going forward but has been solid at the back, he's a threat at set pieces and plays a big part I'm defending them.

When he's on the ball he has been very poor at times but his performances as a defender has been fine and has helped us become a very difficult team to beat. I don't think it's the crime of the century to stick with that sort of player.

LUKE Young fears his Villa days are numbered after confessing he has done everything in his power to force his way into Martin O’Neill’s plans.

Young is resigned to leaving Villa Park this summer despite admitting his strong affection for the football club and the supporters.

Other than occasional runs in O’Neill’s first team, Young felt a peripheral part of the squad last season despite being “in the shape of my life”.

His agent met with O’Neill earlier this month and was told Young could leave as soon as the club decided a price and a matching bid was received.

But Young insists he has never had a bust-up with the manager and will leave Villa with regret if he moves to a new club this summer.

The 30-year-old denies he has ever complained about being used out of position at left-back and would happily play anywhere for Villa.

“I’ve been fighting for my position but it never seems as if it’s been a fair fight,” said Young.

“I don’t want to leave Aston Villa because it’s a great club, but I don’t know what more I’ve got to do to get into the team.

“I feel fitter than I’ve ever felt, I’m in the shape of my life, and I think my form has been good whenever I have played.

“I’ve been working with reserve coach Kevin MacDonald, which has been great for me, and I’m always as professional as possible when I train.

“Other than the Chelsea game, when the whole team had a nightmare including me, I think I can hold my head up high about all of my performances.

“It just seems that however hard I work in training or however well I do in games that I don’t get judged by the same standards as some players.”

Young was signed for £5.5 million two summers ago from Middlesbrough and was an overwhelming success in his first season at Villa Park.

Despite spending half of the campaign in an unfamiliar position at left-back, he was regarded as one of Villa’s most consistent players.

But after injury disrupted his pre-season preparations a year ago, the former Spurs and Charlton full-back struggled to regain a regular place last term.

New signing Habib Beye, initially, and then converted centre-half Carlos Cuellar, were the preferred choices at right-back for most of the season.

Young made 14 from 38 Premier League starts and despite occasional cup appearances was an unused substitute for Villa’s two trips to Wembley.

Young is proud of his relationship with the Villa fans and claims their support has given him encouragement during his long spells on the sidelines.

And he was humbled by the ovation he received when he entered the Villa Park pitch as a substitute in the final match of the season against Blackburn.

“The fans have been fantastic and it was great to get that reception when I came on in the last game the other week,” he added.

“I think it was a little bit of an ironic cheer because they probably feel a bit sorry for me because I’ve not been involved that much.

“But I’ve always got on really well with the fans and that’s another reason why I’ll be sad if I have to leave.”

Feel sorry for him and others who don't get a fair treatment by the manager

link

ditto

It was interesting to read how Milner sat down with O'Neill last summer to discuss his switch in to CM.....Its turned out well.

I wonder how many more improvements could be made if O'Neill humbled himself to do the same with some of the other players, particularly some who are not playing

I will be beyond pissed off if MON let's L. Young leave, he's a fantastic player. Other than the game against Chelsea, when the whole team were as bad as each other, I don't think I've ever seen him have a bad game for us.

Sure Cuellar is a better defender and adds height at set plays, but being a right back is more than just sticking a foot in, heading something away and hoofing it straight out of play. If MON is letting him go then I hope to god he's got a good replacement lined up.

I will be beyond pissed off if MON let's L. Young leave, he's a fantastic player. Other than the game against Chelsea, when the whole team were as bad as each other, I don't think I've ever seen him have a bad game for us.

Sure Cuellar is a better defender and adds height at set plays, but being a right back is more than just sticking a foot in, heading something away and hoofing it straight out of play. If MON is letting him go then I hope to god he's got a good replacement lined up.

The interesting thing for me is, I fail to see that we are that good that Luke Young can't get his place.

However, I do accept that The manager reserves the right to pick whoever he pleases and that it is his job on the line.

Equally, However I have been watching Villa long enough to say that their have been plenty of previous managers decisions I have disagreed with and they are no longer with us now.....so yes its very subjective.

I too hope Luke Young stays......other than in ALL cases that a pretty obvious betterment is lined up.

not change for the sake of it.