The New Condem Government

bickster

As a Lib Dem voter i'm really happy with the coalition and given they only won 55 odd seats, they have managed to squeeze a hell of a lot from it.

The most important thing to secure was the referendum on voting reform. Followed by simply being part of a coalition that brings a different perspective to the Tories and will act as a checking mechanism. I think thetrees touched on this earlier in the thread and it's spot on. Everything relating to individual manifesto points is i think largely irrelevant in the context of the changes to the way political system.

What i'm sick of already, a few hours in, is insults to the Lib Dems and Tories from Labour (Prescott last night) and those within the parties who are picking up on details or claiming one party or another has sold out. I think these folks are so up their own arses in the much maligned culture of 'politics' that they are completely unable to contextualise this progress. I very much hope they begin to tow the line internally and that Labour do not hypocritically attack the coalition that they themselves wanted.

Agree with much of that.

Lib Dems have done very well from it, and in the context of financial and political realities of the crises and the way the seat totals fell, it's the only sensible move really. And like I said, not stubbornly ignoring the reality is much worse. It's stupid of other Lib Dem voters can't see that. I really distrust the Tories an awful lot, but given the deal there is I'm happy with the outcome, there is always give and take and priorities realigned. Work on the economy and political reform are the chief issues to be dealt with. Rolling back intrusive government is another plus.

Context is key really, but just going "waa, they aligned with the Tories, I feel betrayed" is daft. It serves no purpose and is a head in the sand mentality. The numbers didn't add up for an effective lib-lab coalition for a start. A strong lib dem check on the tories going too right wing is fine by me.

1150: We understand that under the new agreement for fixed-term parliaments, the only way to remove the government between elections would be a vote of no confidence with the support of 55% of MPs. At present, any no confidence vote requires only 50%, plus one MP.
:shock: That's a bit sneaky.

1150: We understand that under the new agreement for fixed-term parliaments, the only way to remove the government between elections would be a vote of no confidence with the support of 55% of MPs. At present, any no confidence vote requires only 50%, plus one MP.

= 358 MP's, at present (rounded up).

Which effectively means they could only really lose a vote of no confidence if some of their own MP's vote against them.

Or they lose some by elections.

Ken Clarke apparently Justice Minister/Lord Chancellor

Can't see him looking too comfortable in the garb. :D

Also, I wonder whether they will stick with Bercow next week or will this 'new politics' include going against convention on re-electing him?

will this be the first time the country has been run by a "Villa Fan"? :oops: :mrgreen:

And we have a King in waiting - Young Wills.... whose a Villa fan too!!

Boasting Tom Hanks and Nigel Kennedy amongst our growing celeb fan base

we're taking over the world!......Villarisation!! :D

will this be the first time the country has been run by a "Villa Fan"? :oops: :mrgreen:

Except you wouldn't want to admit Cameron supports Villa. :oops:

What we all need to know, and especially ricardomeister, before any of this other shit like the economy and stable government etc is, will the Foxes be OK?

basil+brush.jpg

cue gag from someone about Leicester going into admin or something ....

What we all need to know, and especially ricardomeister, before any of this other shit like the economy and stable government etc is, will the Foxes be OK?

basil+brush.jpg

Knock Knock

Whos there?

Not Leicester because they're going out of business.

Rubbish I know, I'm as good with jokes as Leicester are with finances :(

Guest Ricardomeister

The Tories being sneaky and devious? Who'd have thunk it?!! :winkold:

Guest Ricardomeister

basil+brush.jpg

SAVE THE FOXES!!!! 8)

Not Liam Fox obviously! :winkold:

Guest Ricardomeister

Don't forget Mervyn King too!

Not sneaky - absolutely disgusting - a sign of what to come

Not sneaky - absolutely disgusting - a sign of what to come

Surely that has to get through parliament though, and the lib dems must have agreed to this before hand, otherwise they could bring it down?

it's not that much more sneaky than parties redrawing the constituency boundaries all the time, to maximise their votes.

If there is no confidence in the government (as the government comment more than 50% of the vote) I do not see it unreasonable to say there needs to be 55% of people against the govt.

Hmmm... The view of a Lib Dem here:

I loathe the Tories, I'm not particularly enamoured at working with them. It will probably cost us dear at the ballot box, I've seen a lot of abuse aimed at the Cornish party since it happened.

But... I think that the deal is actually very good. £10K tax threshold delighted. Saved the Human Rights Act. Freedom Bill (I hope). Schools investment. Chance of a change to voting system, lobbying transparency.

My opinion is that the deal has diluted the inevitable suffering and saved us from an unfettered Conservative government!

Â