The New Condem Government

bickster

Elected House of Lords by PR, now there's an interesting concept.

Bit disappointed we have dropped plans to scrap the National Insurance rise but when it comes to setting a coalition government I guess policies are up for grabs, thats what you get when you have to work together. Still the 10K tax threshold is a good idea and I liked that during the debates.

Gove will be Home Secretary and the Lib Dems will get Education I think

Cable in charge of the banking regs, welll well who'd have thought it :winkold: and Chief Secretary to the Treasury to boot, a prediction I made on Monday actually

Elected House of Lords by PR, now there's an interesting concept.

That is the Australian system.

AV for the lower house and PR for the upper house.

Better than current arrangements, I'd still prefer an Upper Chamber of Independents but then you have the issue of nepotism and only wealthy people being able to fund their indivdual campaigns. If they were shall we say "sponsored," then would they be acting on their own conscience anyway? Finding a way to promote Independent candidates in both Chambers would be the best option for political reform imo, but I'm buggered if I know how you could successfully do it.

It will be very interesting how hard we get hit in the emergency budget.

Hit hard and quick and they can lay blame at Labours door while the GBP and the government are still in their honeymoon period.

Too hard though might kill any slight recovery we have at the moment.

Hit hard and quick and they can lay blame at Labours door while the GBP and the government are still in their honeymoon period.
That's what they'll do, that's why the need the libdems embedded and not just offering conditional support. VAT up, spending down.

VAT up, spending down.

Merv"]

Despite the downturn in the economy, inflation remains above 3%. That reflects the temporary effects on inflation of the restoration of the standard rate of VAT to 17 ½%, the increase in oil prices over the past year and continuing pass-through from the exchange rate depreciation. Unless repeated, these factors should continue to push up on inflation only for a period.

Waking up, as a Lib Dem fan, fairly content to give this a go. Give and take, but happy enough, some good ideas there.

A number of commentators are saying Lib Dem fans will turn away from the party because they have joined with the Tories.

I am not sure I agree, this coalition is the only way the Lib Dems can actually get some of their policy enacted, usually they are just sitting in opposition unnoticed.

It is better to be on the inside looking out than on the outside looking in. They can be the breaks on Tory excess, it could yet go the other way and all end up in tears though.

When the dust settles and they all get round a table I think they'll realise they've got a tremendously hard job to do. The world is in a state and we're right up there in terms of trouble; this wasn't a great prize to win.

I think there's a reasonably good bunch of politicians in place (I actually had nothing against any of the parties in this election to be honest) but I think the things they'll need to do are going to make them very unpopular.

In so far as I can see, the country needs to save an absolute fortune and it's already struggling to operate, that means we'll need to pay more tax and we'll need to reduce the provision of our services.

Whoever had got the job faced the urgent need to do an Ellis on the country, I hope they've got the balls to take the flak and deliver, but I fear they'll spend more time trying to hide the problem from us than fix it properly.

Good luck Mr Cameron and Mr Clegg; you'll need it.

Agree with this, this will be no party and i have no doubt there will be another General Election within 2 years which of course means a lot of turmoil and unrest before we get to that stage.

Just another point on this, they where commenting last night about the fact that when a new leader takes office its usually always the case that there is an air of excitment, people clapping etc, when Blair got in the country was Blair drunk for days afterwards, even the Tory supporters.

They noticed last night there was none of that in fact the media both Sky and the Beeb thought there was almost an air of gloom, you could even hear people booing as Cameron got out of the car in Downing street.

Kind of tells you where the country is and how people are thinking.......... Wouldn't want to be ya!!!!!

As a Lib Dem voter i'm really happy with the coalition and given they only won 55 odd seats, they have managed to squeeze a hell of a lot from it.

The most important thing to secure was the referendum on voting reform. Followed by simply being part of a coalition that brings a different perspective to the Tories and will act as a checking mechanism. I think thetrees touched on this earlier in the thread and it's spot on. Everything relating to individual manifesto points is i think largely irrelevant in the context of the changes to the way political system.

What i'm sick of already, a few hours in, is insults to the Lib Dems and Tories from Labour (Prescott last night) and those within the parties who are picking up on details or claiming one party or another has sold out. I think these folks are so up their own arses in the much maligned culture of 'politics' that they are completely unable to contextualise this progress. I very much hope they begin to tow the line internally and that Labour do not hypocritically attack the coalition that they themselves wanted.

On a personal note though this is bad for me, i was contracting in the public sector until 4 weeks ago...i think that's ruined! :(

Â