The New Condem Government

bickster

Expect numerous strikes, massive disruption and mass protests.

I expect this to happen. And we are going back to the dark days of the 1980s with millions unemployed.

I'd be very worried if I were a civil servant right now.

in the long term it's for the best though, more small buisnesses and more organic growth through the private sector would make for a more versatile and stable economy.

depending so much on the public sector and its endless bureauracy to provide jobs isn't healthy and will only end in tears.

I expect this to happen. And we are going back to the dark days of the 1980s with millions unemployed.

Maybe it's escaped your attention but there are already millions unemployed. If there is numerous strikes, massive disruption and mass protests it will because of union words removed in the public sector thinking they should be exempt from the kind of cuts the private sector has had to implement to stay in business.

I've missed most of what's been happening as working last couple of days, so just catching up with all the intrigue and goings on....

My word.... Oh what a tangled web....and all that!

in the long term it's for the best though, more small buisnesses and more organic growth through the private sector would make for a more versatile and stable economy.

depending so much on the public sector and its endless bureauracy to provide jobs isn't healthy and will only end in tears.

Remember you are talking about people's livelihoods here. How are you going to pick up the pieces of (extra) millions unemployed?

I worry about the human race. How have we become so divisive?

Remember you are talking about people's livelihoods here. How are you going to pick up the pieces of (extra) millions unemployed?

Spot on. The way some people talk they'll almost be happy to see people in the Public Sector lose there jobs. These people have families etc and will only add to the couple of million already unemployed.

If that is the way forward it will end in disaster and mass strikes as no doubt the Unions will rightly kick up a fuss and try to protect its members and rightly so.

Well yes, I don't buy into the capitalist system and am far from thrilled about the situation we find ourselves in, but I understand that our good will alone can't suddenly make the world a better place. Sometimes you need to play the game at hand instead of sitting back and wondering how you'd rather play a different one.

And in that vain I understand that despite peoples feelings and despite their livelihoods, in order to create a better future for the younger generation (which, essentially, I'm part of) we need to sort this shit out and if that means being ruthless and restructuring our economy then I'm afraid that's what we have to do.

I would love to just wave the magic wand and have a utopian society were we are all equal, got to work happy in knowing we are bettering ourselves and our peers. I'd love not to have this selfish system we have in place now. But that's what we have and we have to be rational.

Spot on. The way some people talk they'll almost be happy to see people in the Public Sector lose there jobs. These people have families etc and will only add to the couple of million already unemployed.

If that is the way forward it will end in disaster and mass strikes as no doubt the Unions will rightly kick up a fuss and try to protect its members and rightly so.

I have no problem with unions trying to protect their members against unreasonable employer behaviour. I do, however, have a big problem with unions behaving like dickheads and I don't want them wielding political power.

Politicians, for better or worse, are elected to be the legislators and the mechanism of government. Union officials are not.

I fully expect union action in response to what will be necessary government cutbacks. They will not be doing it entirely for their members, which is actually the sole purpose of a union. They will be doing it for political reasons as well, which is not why they exist but the activists have decided is their right.

Oh, yes. It may surprise some to hear I'm actually a union member. I joined so I could be protected from unfair practice and behaviour by my employer, not so the rocket polishers could try to get me out on strike in support of a bloated public sector that needs trimming down.

Well I'm off to bed but so far ......the cabinet for the new ConDem- nation is

Cameron - PM

Osbourne - Chancellor

Hague - Foreign Secretary

Clegg - Deputy PM

Confirmed...

Plus another 4 Lib Dems

Simon Hughes slipped out that Vince Cable is to be responsible for Banking and Business not sure what title that will hold.

Danny Alexander is rumoured to be the new minister for Scotland...

so that leaves 2 positions...

Chris Huhne - Home Secretary? and one other...

So I'm presuming the Lib/Dems will now sit on the same side as the Conservatives in Parliament rather than opposite as before? Otherwise the cabinet members would surely sit with the Conservatives to one side of the Speaker and the rest of the Lib/Dem party the other.. on the opposition benches, which would seem very odd.

Also should be fun when Clegg deputises for Cameron at PM's question time...heck I'm looking forward to watching that 1st time!!

But after 13 years of Labour, we've already got millions unemployed :?

In fact, it's worse now than then due to the horrific number of people who are not included in the figures, i.e. people who are not 'economically active' - not looking for work, which I believe includes the horrifically large number of people claiming disability benefits and the long term unemployed.

As for your line about civil servants, I think the axe will fall sooner rather than later. Someone has to pay for their £40k a year and gold plated pensions as the state doesn't generate money for itself; and as it hasn't exactly helped private enterprise and industry very much (particularly manufacturing) -other than banks- we need to pull the reigns in. What annoys me is that the Tories will now take the blame for the mess Labour created, and every civil servant made unemployed will point to David Cameron instead of Gordon Brown for his mismanagement of public finances.

What annoys me is that the Tories will now take the blame for the mess Labour created, and every civil servant made unemployed will point to David Cameron instead of Gordon Brown for his mismanagement of public finances.

Well those who lose their jobs, the Unions and Labour will. However those with more than a passing grasp of reality know exactly what the situation is and why it has come about.

However I do think that there needs to be serious plan to create the conditions to encourage new start up businesses that actually produce stuff. Only the growth of the private sector will allow us to work our way out of this hole and initiative and enterprise need to be encouraged at every turn.

Perhaps regional business organisations (with encouragement from central government) can give up some spare time and start organising seminars and workshops, to give practical advice in this area for those in the public sector who will lose inevitably lose their jobs?

I am afraid that those bleating about the loss of Labour should perhaps take a step back and give things a chance.

From the opposite side I am not too happy that that Lib Dems will sit in government but maybe, just maybe, it would be a good thing for the country. What the LibDem presence can do is put a brake on things at times, and offer an alternative view. The all-powerful government of the past 30 years, which steamrollered everything and everyone at their respective wills, has gone, at least for the time being. If this coalition is successful, who knows what the future of British politics will be.

As for the public sector, of course there are people who will be worried, and that is a shame, but Labour expanded the public sector to outrageous proportions, far and beyond what we can afford. If as an individual you pick up £1000 a month and spend £1200 a month for several years, at some point you have to cut back. That is where we are, and hopefully the private sector will improve enough to provide employment for the discharged public sector workers in the long run.

I am not too happy that that Lib Dems will sit in government but maybe, just maybe, it would be a good thing for the country. What the LibDem presence can do is put a brake on things at times, and offer an alternative view. The all-powerful government of the past 30 years, which steamrollered everything and everyone at their respective wills, has gone, at least for the time being. If this coalition is successful, who knows what the future of British politics will be.

Selective quoting but this bit I agree with in the main. Interesting but hard times ahead

I think one of the main reasons Conservatives didn't get the majority they were seeking last Thursday is that the spector of Mrs Thatcher's hard line

uncaring stance towards society etc in the 80s will haunt the Tories for a very long time, and people remember how tough it was, even though she whittled the national debt levels right down.

If the Lib Dems soften the Tory policies somewhat then perhaps as The Trees posted it won't be a bad thing.

Â