Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

we will start signing people when august starts. milner will go next week. young will stay - he is still our most important midfielder. tis will have to be the year the youngsters come good and i mean albrighton, delfounseo and bannan (delph may be 2011 if injury doesnt clear up easily). also hope nrc finally comes into his own.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also hope nrc finally comes into his own.

It'd make it a bit disappointing though when he leaves for nothing at the end of the season.

If he played regularly, do you think he would leave?

He won't sign a new deal, you can guarantee that

Why is it that MON seems allergic to the transfer market?

He is very reluctant to be active in the transfer market and that is bloody obvious because he has constantly made it clear that he dislike it. That is not a good side to have if you are a manager in the Premier League.

No he is moaning about that he needs to look for a replacement to Milner if he leaves...wow..we should´ve had a few players in already...let alone a back up for Milner that can do the job when he leaves. It doesnt need to be a last minute fix from Wigan or Scotland!

Transfer times kills me with MON as manager for Villa...boring at the very very highest level.

I think we might need to wait for a few players to be sold, or just Milner, before we buy new players - not for transfer funds but to ensure that the wage bill doesn't go through the roof!

Also, if you check any of MysteryMan's comments from the last few weeks, the insight is that MON prefers to buy players near the end of the window to ensure the price is as realistically low as possible.

Be patient. :winkold:

The reason I disagree with this tactic? The extra three points from the Wigan home game might have made a huge difference. Having those players in place, Dunne, Warnock etc could have been the difference between 6th and 4th. Get it done, stop arsing about.

also hope nrc finally comes into his own.

It'd make it a bit disappointing though when he leaves for nothing at the end of the season.

If he played regularly, do you think he would leave?

I think he'll be gone by September personally, but if he did play who knows, stranger things have happened!

Why is it that MON seems allergic to the transfer market?

He is very reluctant to be active in the transfer market and that is bloody obvious because he has constantly made it clear that he dislike it. That is not a good side to have if you are a manager in the Premier League.

No he is moaning about that he needs to look for a replacement to Milner if he leaves...wow..we should´ve had a few players in already...let alone a back up for Milner that can do the job when he leaves. It doesnt need to be a last minute fix from Wigan or Scotland!

Transfer times kills me with MON as manager for Villa...boring at the very very highest level.

I think we might need to wait for a few players to be sold, or just Milner, before we buy new players - not for transfer funds but to ensure that the wage bill doesn't go through the roof!

Also, if you check any of MysteryMan's comments from the last few weeks, the insight is that MON prefers to buy players near the end of the window to ensure the price is as realistically low as possible.

Be patient. :winkold:

The reason I disagree with this tactic? The extra three points from the Wigan home game might have made a huge difference. Having those players in place, Dunne, Warnock etc could have been the difference between 6th and 4th. Get it done, stop arsing about.

I agree completely but prepare for the typical "we finished more than 3 points from 4th at the end of the season" response

Fair point sir Gary but who knows what might have happened? We only lost seven games after all. I would like to see MON alter his buying style but I have no idea of the foreign market so I'm no better than anyone else to demand it I suppose.

15 points are better than 12, no? I said it MIGHT have made a difference, we'll never know.

I agree with you, when we played Man City away we would've had a lot more incentive with those extra 3 points, I was only saying what the typical response would be, not what my opinion was

15 points are better than 12, no? I said it MIGHT have made a difference, we'll never know.

Okay, I just doubt we'd of gone into the games with any less than what we gave apart the Blckburn game really, although I will say had we beat Wigan with that team, then playing the same team vs Liverpool, I don't think we would of won. Possibly it could be said after the Wigan game, players also wanted to bounce back alot stronger.

Anyway, we wouldn't of beat Wigan anyway, we have a terrible home record against them. It's depressing. :(

If you check any of MysteryMan's comments from the last few weeks, the insight is that MON prefers to buy players near the end of the window to ensure the price is as realistically low as possible.

If that is the truth...then it is a lousy tactic. Not many clubs sit on golden "left overs" at that time and some are quite reluctant to sell.

No I dont buy that...MON has huge problems with the transfer market and when he has come to a point where he need to act he go british to play it safe. There is no spark...no edge...with his signings...just a grey hopeful bunch of honest players or whatever he brands them.

Well it worked last year when we got Richard Dunne for £5m and James Collins for around the same price.

Both of those were two incredible bargains that, in my opinion, wouldn't have been as cheap if we'd splashed all our money in June.

It could be the difference between getting one more player. For example:

Spending money in July when opposing teams are at no risk to sell their players quickly: Robbie Keane £9m, Stephen Ireland £12m, Nedem Onouha £4m, Kevin-Prince Boateng £5m. Total of £30m (funded by the sale of Milner/ fringe players).

OR.

Wait until teams realise they'll either need to sell the players off or have an unhappy player in their ranks (or in Man City's case; possibly have a player that they can't register because their squad is too big): Robbie Keane £7m, Stephen Ireland £9m, Nedem Onouha £3m, Kevin-Prince Boateng £4m. Total of £23m. There probably won't be a massive difference in price but it could add up.

In this example (with very rough guesses on prices) we'd get an extra £7m to spend on another player.

It's a simple tactic that could pay off Luxa. The worst case scenario is that someone else lodges a bid with a player that we want - in which case, I'm sure MON would then pop up with an offer. I'm sure he wouldn't just think "Oh, well we aimed to spend money in August.. So we'll let the other team have this one"

I trust MON and I'm confident that we will come out of this window a better team - with or without wantaway-Milner.

The only problem with this transfer-tactic is that it does mean that you have to play a few games of the season without your new transfers. (But if it means that we also get an extra player - in hindsight I'm happy with MON's strategy)

If you check any of MysteryMan's comments from the last few weeks, the insight is that MON prefers to buy players near the end of the window to ensure the price is as realistically low as possible.

If that is the truth...then it is a lousy tactic. Not many clubs sit on golden "left overs" at that time and some are quite reluctant to sell.

No I dont buy that...MON has huge problems with the transfer market and when he has come to a point where he need to act he go british to play it safe. There is no spark...no edge...with his signings...just a grey hopeful bunch of honest players or whatever he brands them.

Well it worked last year when we got Richard Dunne for £5m and James Collins for around the same price.

Both of those were two incredible bargains that, in my opinion, wouldn't have been as cheap if we'd splashed all our money in June.

It could be the difference between getting one more player. For example:

Spending money in July when opposing teams are at no risk to sell their players quickly: Robbie Keane £9m, Stephen Ireland £12m, Nedem Onouha £4m, Kevin-Prince Boateng £5m. Total of £30m (funded by the sale of Milner/ fringe players).

OR.

Wait until teams realise they'll either need to sell the players off or have an unhappy player in their ranks (or in Man City's case; possibly have a player that they can't register because their squad is too big): Robbie Keane £7m, Stephen Ireland £9m, Nedem Onouha £3m, Kevin-Prince Boateng £4m. Total of £23m. There probably won't be a massive difference in price but it could add up.

In this example (with very rough guesses on prices) we'd get an extra £7m to spend on another player.

It's a simple tactic that could pay off Luxa. The worst case scenario is that someone else lodges a bid with a player that we want - in which case, I'm sure MON would then pop up with an offer. I'm sure he wouldn't just think "Oh, well we aimed to spend money in August.. So we'll let the other team have this one"

I trust MON and I'm confident that we will come out of this window a better team - with or without wantaway-Milner.

The only problem with this transfer-tactic is that it does mean that you have to play a few games of the season without your new transfers. (But if it means that we also get an extra player - in hindsight I'm happy with MON's strategy)

Sorry to piss on your parade Rob but what happens if we leave it that late and the selling clubs decide not to let those players go and we have already lost another 3 or 4 players? We will be left up shit creek then and have to buy players with the quality of Harewood and Knight again just to have a squad.

You also need to look at things another way. The other managers will know how desperate we will be to get players in and with £24m in the bank might decide to up the price of their players because they know we will be desperate to sign someone.

Man City are haing a laugh at us right now. They want our player and know they can have him whenever they want. They also know that our manager has to wait on them because they have our transfer kitty lining their pockets. What would you do if you were them? The longer they make us wait, the longer our pre-season goes on without any new signings having time to gel with the current team.

villarocker, I see your point and I fully agree that it's a risk when leaving your transfers late.

But I also doubt that MON has one transfer target. If a team decides they don't want to sell then I'm sure we could go for another player.

I'm not saying it's an ideal way of working transfers - it definatly has it's faults: players missing pre-season, playing 3 or 4 games without your new transfers & the risk that players could end up staying with their squad.

But I also think that if we are working on a tight budget (I'm not saying we are, I'm saying "IF") - then it's a way of getting players for cheaper and therefore having more money available to buy an extra player or two.

I trust MON, he hasn't failed us in the past when it comes to strengthening the squad.

Didn't we have to wait for distin to join everton and Lescott to join city before we could sign dunne? Didn't Blackburn also make it clear that we had to wait for them to sign a replacement before we could sign warnock?

Do people think fees have been agreed and players are ready to sign but MON makes the decision to delay it till after the season started?

After prior discussions on the contractual status of Kim Källström, I've spent a bit of time researching free agents/players coming to the end of their contracts and I've come across an intriguing name I recall from a few years back; a chap called Ilsinho.

betis_ilsinho.jpg

He's one of the young Brazilians that starred in Shakhtar Donetsk's succesful UEFA cup campaign of 2009 (he also bagged various domestic honours with Shakhtar, including being named in the Ukrainian team of the season in 08/09). He's earned one full cap to date, and (allegedly) can play anywhere down the right-hand side.

In all fairness, I can only judge on his performances in that UEFA cup campaign (impressive as they were). I also cannot seem to find anymore information on his contractual status beyond the fact that as of 3 days from now he will become a free agent, ergo I have no idea why the club would allow a player of his supposed calibre to leave (he could very well be a troublemaker who is walking out of the club).

Don't suppose there are any Прем'єр-Ліга enthusiasts out there who can provide any more information? It almost looks like too much of a bargain to be true, surely interested parties would be making moves by now?