Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaktar Donetsk are owned by the richest man in Europe and I'm lead to believe pay rather nice wages, I don't think we'd be in the market for their players. They get a few cherry picked by the elite once in a while.

Shaktar Donetsk are owned by the richest man in Europe and I'm lead to believe pay rather nice wages

That is true, but it's still not a fashionable place to play football. Given the choice I think alot of players there would rather move to the English or Spanish League.

Shaktar Donetsk are owned by the richest man in Europe and I'm lead to believe pay rather nice wages, I don't think we'd be in the market for their players. They get a few cherry picked by the elite once in a while.

why not? They play in a average standard league and weather would not suit most of their players.

They do pay great wages and have great facilities but surely players would like a challenge of top European league. CIty bought Elano one of their best players and this was before City were mega rich

why not? They play in a average standard league and weather would not suit most of their players.

They do pay great wages and have great facilities but surely players would like a challenge of top European league. CIty bought Elano one of their best players and this was before City were mega rich

Since most of their players are Ukrainian, I'm sure the weather isn't too much of a problem, and if it is they're rather used to it by now. The majority of their Brazilian players have been there for quite a while now (apart from a couple who just got there), and I'm sure the wages they're picking up more than make up for the difference in weather.

Elano was picked up before Citeh was mega money, yes, but they were still paying him a pretty decent wedge IIRC, it was under Shinawatra was it not, who they splashed some cash under.

With us, the fact of the matter is this - we can't afford to pay the kind of money Shaktar will, and we don't offer CL football, and we can't offer the kind of money that will, for Shaktars top players, interest them. And if we could, because the budget isn't unlimited, the risk would be enormous on any signing. We may offer a bit better weather and a better league but, really... are you gonna care that much when you're being paid silly money and know that if you perform well enough, eventually a big team will come sniffing and you'll step up to a better league and more money and better weather? Why go to Aston Villa unless they're offering significantly better than you're already getting? Which we can't/won't.

just out of curiousty why would a work permit be refused for footballers? just curious thats all.

If he is a non-EU citizen then the home office are not obliged to allow him to get into the country in order to work.

Their rather loose rule states that in order for a non-EU footballer to be eligible for a work permit:

[*:fb15833292]a player must have played for his country in at least 75% of its competitive 'A' team matches he was available for selection, during the two years preceding the date of the application; and
    [*:fb15833292]the player's country must be at or above 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings when averaged over the two years preceding the date of the application.

The main exception is where an outstanding youngster is involved - one who couldn't feasibly have gained the necessary experience during his career to date. How they come to the conclusion the youngster is outstanding TENDS to depend on which club is asking for the permit. If you're top 4 you're quids in. If you're not, then you're probably not.

The full text is here and is based on the 08/09 season but it has not changed much, if at all, since then.

just out of curiousty why would a work permit be refused for footballers? just curious thats all.

If he is a non-EU citizen then the home office are not obliged to allow him to get into the country in order to work.

Their rather loose rule states that in order for a non-EU footballer to be eligible for a work permit:

• [*:308de804e5]a player must have played for his country in at least 75% of its competitive 'A' team matches he was available for selection, during the two years preceding the date of the application; and
    [*:308de804e5]the player's country must be at or above 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings when averaged over the two years preceding the date of the application.

The main exception is where an outstanding youngster is involved - one who couldn't feasibly have gained the necessary experience during his career to date. How they come to the conclusion the youngster is outstanding TENDS to depend on which club is asking for the permit. If you're top 4 you're quids in. If you're not, then you're probably not.

The full text is here and is based on the 08/09 season but it has not changed much, if at all, since then.

Bloody hell the home office must have been really busy over the past few years with all the influx of foreign workwers into the country?? :D

why the hell have we not been linked with ruben de le red yet? has his heart gave in i know he had a problem with it but i recall a thread on here where many wanted to sign the bloke when he was on loan at getafe. wasnt in the spanish wc squad either?

I think that rule precludes many clubs from even going for potential targets unless they thought a successful appeal would be a possibility.

why the hell have we not been linked with ruben de le red yet? has his heart gave in i know he had a problem with it but i recall a thread on here where many wanted to sign the bloke when he was on loan at getafe. wasnt in the spanish wc squad either?

was a good plaeyr and as far as i know he has retired

retired? i thought he was in his mid twenties or was it for medical reasons?

Heart condition, exceptionally unlikely he'll play again. He hasn't since October 08.

He's not officially retired yet.

- McGeady - Petrov - Young - Downing -

- Keane - Agbonlahor -

Ew, I don't know if that's good or bad?

I'd say if you're going to play Young in the middle it needs to be part of a three man unit. Possibly with two holding. He's a little two lightweight otherwise.

- McGeady - Petrov - Young - Downing -

- Keane - Agbonlahor -

Ew, I don't know if that's good or bad?

Children who couldn't walk would breeze through that midfield like it wasn't there.

A Premier League team witha decent midfield? Well, I suppose 'lol' suffices.