Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Carrick has done very well for an 'average' player.

good PR and agent can do that for you plus helps that he is English :)

Playing the whole game in two Champions League finals and winning one of them (scoring a pen in the shootout in the process) takes a lot more than a good agent. Nationality has nothing to do with it; you could even argue being English has had a negative effect due the pressure and scrutiny from the press.

Jamie Carragher has played in 2 Champions League finals. Doesnt mean he is/was a good player.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's widely accepted that Gerrard is in general a shadow of his usual self when playing for England.

I don't think anyone's saying you don't deserve an opinion but when your opinion goes against that of experts (i.e. actual football managers) it can be difficult to take it seriously.

Where have you seen these opinions of other managers reported?

I haven't.

But he continues to be picked for a combination of England and Manchester United having also played for Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United, I believe Manchester United may even have parted with something in the region of £18M for his services so to say he's 'average' doesn't really leave much hope for the rest of us does it?

And btw, I know what you're getting at so better luck next time eh :lol:

Fine.

I take it back. Managers are always right. I'm off to get Heskey on my shirt, because he's a superstar who's been nothing short of superb for us in his time here. MoN evidently thinks so, ergo MoN is right. That wasn't a missed chance, it was all part of a long game plan to lull the opposition into a false sense of security allowing him to score at a later chance when they don't expect it. That wasn't a crap pass, it was Heskey's misfortune to not be partnered by actual Superman who would have reached it.

Those aren't hoofed balls by Cuellar, they are precisely targeted rockets whose perfect precision pass was dastardly ruined by external elements like the troposphere or a boeing 737.

etc etc

Carrick is not a £20million player IMO. Heskey is not good enough for us. IMO. Cuellar's weakness is his distribution IMO.

It's widely accepted that Gerrard is in general a shadow of his usual self when playing for England.

I don't think anyone's saying you don't deserve an opinion but when your opinion goes against that of experts (i.e. actual football managers) it can be difficult to take it seriously.

Don't worry Risso, remember this is coming from the man who ignores all the experts and professional coaches, players, pundits who talk about the extensive depth where Mourinho goes into his work. Funny, use it for one arguement, not another ay. :lol:

Is this not post on poster?

I wouldn't normally be so pedantic but you either have one rule for everyone or it descends into anarchy......

Fine.

I take it back. Managers are always right. I'm off to get Heskey on my shirt, because he's a superstar who's been nothing short of superb for us in his time here. MoN evidently thinks so, ergo MoN is right. That wasn't a missed chance, it was all part of a long game plan to lull the opposition into a false sense of security allowing him to score at a later chance when they don't expect it. That wasn't a crap pass, it was Heskey's misfortune to not be partnered by actual Superman who would have reached it.

Those aren't hoofed balls by Cuellar, they are precisely targeted rockets whose perfect precision pass was dastardly ruined by external elements like the troposphere or a boeing 737.

etc etc

Carrick is not a £20million player IMO. Heskey is not good enough for us. IMO. Cuellar's weakness is his distribution IMO.

Never a true word said in jest :clap:

Don't worry Risso, remember this is coming from the man who ignores all the experts and professional coaches, players, pundits who talk about the extensive depth where Mourinho goes into his work. Funny, use it for one arguement, not another ay. :lol:

Is this not post on poster?

I wouldn't normally be so pedantic but you either have one rule for everyone or it descends into anarchy......

How does that constitute post on poster. I'm only questioning your arguement which you use for your benefit here and then ignored just yesterday.

I would like to see Carlton Cole at Villa as a replacement for one of those two looks like a complete striker to me

I have either read the most outrageous comment ever on Villatalk or have mis-read it altogether...Carlton Cole, the 'complete striker'??

:o

It was me I said it! :D

I think he is really talented. This season he didn't do much, but the supply was non existent (I know this as my cousins are hammers fans so I have had to sit through some of their matches and it was like watching paint dry). Under 10 million and I would say sign him up as it is its best we look elsewhere.

He's Tall, strong, fast, with excellent technique and touch and a good shot on him. His head wasn't always in the right place in the past, but I see a player that would score 15-20 goals a season with decent supply. That's my opinion. He's just a late developer to me.

Take Drogba for example, he was languishing in the french second division at 24 with people questioning his ability, a season later he was signing for Marseille and playing his first season in the french first division for a top team, and a season later Chelsea were paying 24 million for him.

You have to remember Cole was playing for west ham last season.

That's my opinion I don't care if people don't agree, but you would have to be an idiot not to see that C.Cole has (physically and technically) everything needed to be a great striker, the questions marks over him are down to his temperament and having only one good season in the prem. BTW its those question marks that give Villa a chance of signing a player as talented as him I am very sad to say.

If we did sign him he could become a great or could be the next Stan Collymore, which is why anything over 10 million is a risk I wouldn't be prepared to take.

What cracks me up about the England scenario? It's only Gerrard who doesn't perform, what about Lampard, do you see him as a free-scoring midfielder for England because i certainly don't. Gerrard after Rooney is our most important player for me, only guy who can change a game within an instance.

Agree with this. If Gerrard was played in his preferred position for England he'd be twice the player, personally i'd wouldnt pick Lampard if Barry was fit.

Not convinced Cole would be the man for us, i didnt watch all of ROI match last night, but Doyle looked like he had a good game, totally different to the Premiership, but did well all the same. Would prefer him to Cole.

Eh?

Managers make mistakes. Sorry, when I see all those misplaced passes I am clearly misinterpreting the grand plan for Carrick! Francis Jeffers has played for England and is now on the bench of some crappy league one side. Carrick has been good in the past, and at United there is talent around him that can carry shite / underperforming invididuals from time to time. mOst mancs I know say he's been very poor all year round, by the same token Gerrard has been very poor all year round acknowledged even by the most defensive of scousers. Yet he's guaranteed to start - partly and to an extent reasonably enough - based on his achievements to date with England.

Otherwise shit let's just shutdown messageboards and close our mouths for heaven forbid we have individual thoughts and opinions of our own.

Well my point on this somwhere in the thread was that he is not a shite player. He may not be playing well now, or for the whole season infact but thats not what we were discussing. He`s played a lot for Manure after been the star in a Spurs team that was one game away from 4th. Capello and Fergie can`t be that wrong even if they can make mistakes.

I like Doyle but I can't see him playing alongside Gabby. As a lone striker yes, alongside Carew or Heskey yes but for me he looks like direct competition for Gabby and Delfouneso, and I rate Delfouneso as our most talented striker (not best he hasn't proven a thing yet) but most talented for sure, possibly the most talented player in the squad. Throw in the fact that Doyle would cost over 10 million too now, I would have to say we don't need him. I would say a link striker and a target man to replace both Carew and Heskey (as i think they will both be leaving this summer) are the requirements. Cole is the best target man I see that's available. I don't see keane as a link striker he's more of a fox in the box that will only score 15 goals a season.

The options upfront are rather limited really. People have suggested Bellamy who is a very good player but once again he is too similar to Gabby and Delfouneso for me to see it happen. Now if we were to sell Gabby (as well as Heskey and Carew) for 20+ million and sign Doyle and Cole, and throw in E Gudjonson that would be a nice bit of sell to buy business. However I would like to see Gabby stay as I hate to see local lads leave Villa.

I like Doyle but I can't see him playing alongside Gabby. As a lone striker yes, alongside Carew or Heskey yes but for me he looks like direct competition for Gabby and Delfouneso

Doyle's nothing like either of them

I like Doyle but I can't see him playing alongside Gabby. As a lone striker yes, alongside Carew or Heskey yes but for me he looks like direct competition for Gabby and Delfouneso

Was going to say.

When is MYSTRYMAN going to get his act together and get us some info? Come on mate get your fingers in the pies! :winkold:

He posted what he thought would be our targets a week or so back so concentrate harder. :winkold:

On that Matthews bloke, where was he in the play-offs? Injured?

Now if we were to sell Gabby (as well as Heskey and Carew) for 20+ million and sign Doyle and Cole, and throw in E Gudjonson that would be a nice bit of sell to buy business.

So, sell Gabby Heskey and Carew.

Sign Doyle, Cant Control and Gudjonnson?

You really do come out with some crackers

When is MYSTERYMAN going to get his act together and get us some info? Come on mate get your fingers in the pies! :winkold:

He's been scanning the forum in the last couple of days.

Let's hope that when he does post, his comments won't attract quite so much snide comment as I recall this time last year. I found his comments informative and interesting, most seemed to think so as well, but a small number of people treated him like he'd set himself up as some kind of infallible seer, which was just not the case.

Doyle's certainly not a target man or a link striker. He is hard working, works the channels and not afraid to run at players looks to run in behind and harass opposition defenders. He uses his energy, movement and work rate to cause problems. Gabby's not really smart enough to play in tandem with Doyle.