Jez

yeah good old rafa benitez and his awful tactics

He has a tactics rating of 20 on FM ;)

Yeah and some Liverpool fans on twitter will have you believe he invented the 4-5-1 or something else stupid

I can't remember exactly what he did, I know he left him isolated and played a high line in the 1st half meaning bale was always in space and could run at maicon, I'm sure he didn't even beat him with skill he just knocked it past him and ran, then in the 2nd half iirc he put cordoba on him and things just got worse

I remember the day after the rags going mental over him saying it was the best ever performance by a uk player in Europe etc and me thinking it was a good performance but rafa gave him freedom of the park

In one night Bale ruined Maicons reputation and his stock has never been high since that night in the champions league.

Yep, and did the opposite for Bale. He's been overrated since that night. Fair enough, he did rape Maicon, but a goalkeeper who gave a shit and it wouldn't have looked anywhere near as good.

makes you laugh that MON was one of those who left him out in the cold

He didn't. He made 86 appearances in 2 years under O'Neill and in 09/10 started all but 2 league games.

Absolutely. It's one of the more perplexing urban myths on this site that Cuellar couldn't get a game under MON. He was consistently a crucial part of one of the tightest defensive set-ups we've had for years.

BTW, I'm starting to get a bit itchy about when we will start making some signings.

maybe it's still sell to buy??

You realise we've made a signing today...?

BTW, I'm starting to get a bit itchy about when we will start making some signings.

maybe it's still sell to buy??

You realise we've made a signing today...?

Yes, I logged on to AVFC after leaving Villatalk & saw the good news. I've stopped twitching so much now. Wouldn't mind us signing someone a bit more well known though. :)