Jez

13 years of Deutsche Vermögensberatung sponsorship for Kaiserslautern comes to an end for this coming season :( Hello to "Dr. Theiss Naturwaren GmbH".

We've also signed Ivo Ilicevic from Bochum. He spent last season on-loan @ the Betze.

I like the way Kaiserslautern seem to be going about boosting their squad; none of this coming up and parking the bus bollocks, they're going for goals next season. Cue chants of "Angriff! Angriff! Angriff Angriff Angriff!"

Wouldn't have minded seeing Steve Fletcher here, but not for the money he went for in the end.

Hold on to your sides this one is going to hurt..........

Newcastle are looking to broker a deal for Bolton's Jlloyd Samuel, skysports.com understands.

The 27-year-old has been with Bolton since 2007 after leaving his first club Aston Villa.

He has been a first-team regular at The Reebok, playing anywhere across the back four.

Now he has emerged as a target for Newcastle boss Chris Hughton - who is hoping to strike a deal for the Trinidad & Tobago international.

Samuel, 29, has one-year left on his current contract and Newcastle are hoping they can land their man for less than £1.5million.

Here

Hold on to your sides this one is going to hurt..........

Newcastle are looking to broker a deal for Bolton's Jlloyd Samuel, skysports.com understands.

The 27-year-old has been with Bolton since 2007 after leaving his first club Aston Villa.

He has been a first-team regular at The Reebok, playing anywhere across the back four.

Now he has emerged as a target for Newcastle boss Chris Hughton - who is hoping to strike a deal for the Trinidad & Tobago international.

Samuel, 29, has one-year left on his current contract and Newcastle are hoping they can land their man for less than £1.5million.

Here

Ah, Sky Sports... Quality research, proofreading, and all round journalism.

Why does anyone listen to old wonky eye??????? Have people forgotten his "he is off to Villa" comments about Kaboul just before he signed him.

Utd have ruled out a move for Cole, its all over SSN. Now me being a cynical bastard I'm thinking they would only distance themselves in such a way if they might be embarassed about people thinking they've been beaten to his signature, Man City perhaps????

Why does anyone listen to old wonky eye??????? Have people forgotten his "he is off to Villa" comments about Kaboul just before he signed him.

Utd have ruled out a move for Cole, its all over SSN. Now me being a cynical bastard I'm thinking they would only distance themselves in such a way if they might be embarassed about people thinking they've been beaten to his signature, Man City perhaps????

I hope so Trent cuz ill be 330 squid richer.

The blogger on the Mail's minute by minute commentary of the Aus v Serbia match here was giving the Brum fans some grief over Zigic. Here are some examples, for your amusement:

19 mins: Nice ball in from the jinky Jovanovic but Zigic, who is tall but also weirdly meek and ineffectual, can't even get a challenge on it.

Stankovic sprays it wide to Ivanovic and his lovely whipped cross is completely missed by Zigic (sorry Birmingham fans - but he really has looked poor here) as he flails wildly at it with his head and/or legs. That was a very good chance.

More nice passing from Serbia and again the excellent Jovanovic crosses well, right into the six yard box but there is no one there. Zigic is off lumbering about somewhere else and you wonder what the point of him is if he's not getting on the end of those.

On the perplexing Zigic Frank in Valencia snickers: "Don't apologise to Blues fans for your very accurate summary of Zigic's abilities - you're doing them a favour by preparing them for the season to come. All the talk of the Blues signing a player from a Valencia team that has qualified for the Champions league failed to mention that he was only ever considered good enough to start in the cup games against 3rd division teams, and the club have been trying to offload him to anybody (and would probably have accepted a free transfer!) for 2 years. As a Valencia fan I still haven't stopped laughing about the money we've received ...jejejeje!"

And Zigic is off: he manages to find the bench OK.

Michael Ballack returns to Bayer Leverkusen

Ballack seals return to Leverkusen

Michael Ballack has joined Bayer Leverkusen on a two-year contract. The 33-year-old, who is missing the World Cup through an injury picked up in the FA Cup final victory, was released by Chelsea at the end of last season.

The midfielder is returning to the Bundesliga and his old side, with whom he reached the Champions League final in 2002

"With my transfer to Bayer Leverkusen a circle is complete. I had a beautiful and successful time here, on which I like to look back on a lot," Ballack told the club's website.

"That was a factor in my decision." Ballack added: "But above all the good sporting potential of this young and attractive team were persuasive.

"I am especially looking forward to the great fans, who naturally have been key in my decision to return to Bayer."

Ballack, who spent three years with Bayer before leaving for Bayern Munich in 2002 and then moving on to Chelsea in 2006, will reportedly earn around €12 million over a two-year stay at Bayer.

Steve McClaren's Wolfsburg were also believed to have been interested in him, but Ballack has opted for a return to his old club.

Bayer sporting director is delighted to have signed a player of Ballack's experience, and believes he will help the development of the club's crop of young players.

"With Michael Ballack our team is getting an enormous boost in quality," he said. "Especially our many young players will benefit from his abilities and his experience.

"We did everything to convince Michael. That his preference was for Bayer despite our limited financial possibilities in comparison to the competition, shows his emotional attachment to the club."