Jez

You only need 4 from the academy + 4 from England

They should piss that

You're right, but for some reason I'm having a brain cramp and can't remember any academy guys they have except Gerrard and Flanagan. (I don't think sterling counts yet)

I'm sure im forgetting people.

If I'm not missing anyone, I think they've only got Gerrard and Martin Kelly.
Sterling, Flanagan, Wisdom are all too young to be registered.

Johnsen, Sturridge, Allen, Henderson the four they need  from other english/welsh clubs.
Ricky Lambert won't count as a Liverpool academy product, as he was there between the age of 10-15, while 15-21 is what decide it (not that I agree with that rule)

So they'll only be allowed 24 man squad in the Premier League, and a 23 man in CL?

Apparently lambert was a Liverpool youth player. It's pretty cool for him to be honest. Gone from league two to playing in the champions league with his hometown club.

Plus he got his first cap last year at age, what, 31? And now he's going to the World Cup. It's hard not to be happy for him.

• Like 3

overpay for a journeyman striker in his 30s. Has Brendan Rodgers turned into MON overnight?

I'm guessing it's sarcasm, but in case not, you can't really "overpay" at £4m these days when a player has shown that kind of quality.

I think Lambert at £4m even at 32 is an excellent piece of business from Rodgers as he tries to build a squad rather than a team.

How many strikers with that sort of PL proven scoring rate can you get for that money? And how many will be prepared to be squad players the way Lambert will be just to have a couple of years playing for his boyhood team.

Smart bit of business I think.

• Like 3

It could be entirely innocent given that the UK is easier for Villa to get too and the guys who call the shots for NYC are here anyway but you would have to think that David Villa will appear in City colours at some point next season.  Everybody said at the time when they bought the New York franchise that it can be used as a very easy way to get money off of the books at City and circumvent financial fair play. 

• Like 2

Villa played excellent for Atletico last season, like he was somewhat fresh into the game again. As said above, I imagine that he'll go to City until the MLS kicks off. Good signing either way, definitely a great squad addition for them.