The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Borussia seal rousing 4-0 triumph in rainswept Cologne

Raul Bobadilla netted the first goal, and also rounded off the scoring with a late fourth. Borussia struck four goals in a scintillating second half, running up a resounding Rhineland derby triumph.

Cologne: Varvodic – Brecko (Yalcin 76), Mohamad, Geromel, Salger – Lanig, Pezzoni (Matuschyk 84) – Jajalo, Ehret (Vunguidica 65)– Podolski – Novakovic

Borussia: Heimeroth – Levels, Anderson, Brouwers (Dante 46 / Schachten 66), Daems – Marx, Bradley – Herrmann (Idrissou 57), Reus – de Camargo – Bobadilla

Goals: 0-1 Bobadilla (51), 0-2 Bradley (70), 0-3 de Camargo (82), 0-4 Bobadilla (90)

Yellow cards: Reus, Bobadilla

Referee: Peter Gagelmann (Bremen)

Attendance: 50,000 (capacity)

imago06847103h_01_a8_c8ecb95494.png

• 2 months later...

If anyone wants to watch some absolutely fantastic football this season, then get watching Dortmund. They're on ESPN most weeks now.

They're currently running away with the title, and have a very young squad. If they manage to keep these players, they will be one of Europe's major forces in the coming years, I have no doubt about it. They are all so driven; Klopp's tactics are fantastic. The players run endlessly, have a great team ethic, and are fantastic to watch when attacking.

Here's what I'd describe as their current first-choice line-up, with the players' ages in brackets:

Weidenfeller (30)

Piszczek (25)       Subotić (22)     Hummels (22)     Schmelzer (22)

Bender (21)

Şahin (22)

Götze (18)                                             Großkreutz (22)

Kagawa (21)

Barrios (26)

Mario Götze has only played a handful of games, but he's going to be one of the best players of his generation. He's already been capped for Germany, as have Hummels, Schmelzer and Großkreutz. I don't think Sven Bender will be far behind them, either.

Nuri Şahin is already one of the world's best midfielders, in my opinion. I think if he had opted to play for Germany, he'd already be much more internationally recognised and celebrated. Still, I think it's good that he chose to play for Turkey - and if it helps keep him at Dortmund then all the better!

An article from the Raphael Honigstein (one of my favourite sports journalists) after our 3-1 win over second-placed Leverkusen this weekend:

Raphael Honigstein, in the Guardian,"]

Borussia Dortmund preach caution but they are cruising to the title

Mario Götze became possibly the first Bundesliga player to be substituted for being too good as Dortmund threatened to humiliate Leverkusen

Borussia-Dortmund-celebra-007.jpg

Borussia Dortmund's Kevin Grosskreutz, Nuri Sahin and Mario Götze celebrate scoring against Bayer Leverkusen. Photograph: Ina Fassbender/Reuters

Legend has it that the teenage Franz Beckenbauer was moved back into defence by a youth coach who was afraid the upright, stylish midfielder would run into opponents keen "to let him know they were there", in Kevin Keegan parlance. At 9.55pm on Friday night, the BayArena saw a scene destined to go down in football folklore, too. The Dortmund midfielder Mario Götze became possibly the first ever Bundesliga footballer substituted for being too good in a game.

The 18-year-old – on the pitch in place of the Japanese midfielder Shinji Kagawa, who is at the Asian Cup – played a decent, but unspectacular first half in which his team seemed content to frustrate Leverkusen. Dortmund didn't create much going forward but their tireless running made the one serious title contender that is left look listless. Borussia under Jürgen Klopp are to space what Takeru Kobayashi is to hot dogs: they eat it up until the opposition is blue on the face and going down with cramps.

Three perfectly executed strikes – and some awful defending from the hosts – in the space of six minutes after the break brought the title race to a premature end. Budding international Kevin Großkreutz, 22, scored a brace (49', 53') before Götze added a third (55'). "I've never seen anything like it in my life," said the BVB president Reinhard Rauball, not a man prone to superlatives.

Dortmund were cruising, and we're not talking Al Pacino as a leather-clad undercover cop here: their mixture of incredibly hard work and freedom of expression up front was simply sublime. "They play an elegant, passionate and imaginative football," said Jupp Heynckes after the final whistle. Götze, buoyed by his team's dominance, played himself into a kind of dream-like state where every flick and turn was coming off. In what was only the 12th league start of his career, the son of a data technology professor at Dortmund's Technical University was about to get carried away with his own brilliance and run the risk of getting done by one of his humiliated opponents when Klopp intervened. Götze was taken off for the striker Lucas Barrios.

Dortmund are protecting their prodigious talent off the pitch as well. They're wary of history repeating itself: Lars Ricken, 17, was once hailed as the "talent of the century" but ended up buckling under the pressure and never living up to his potential. Götze is lucky that he's surrounded by players who are only a couple of years older, they have taken all the success in their stride. "We are incredibly grounded," Klopp never tires of saying. The club's insistence on down-playing their championship credentials seems increasingly forced in the light of a 12-point gap at the top ("We'd be mad to think we've won anything," said the coach) but it's obvious that the players are too busy enjoying themselves to lose touch with reality.

Even their winter holiday arrangements were conspicuously unassuming. While Großkreutz flew to Brazil to meet team-mate Dede's family, the Serbian defender Neven Subotic and a couple of mates drove around Europe in a clapped-out VW camper van. Nobody knows whether their togetherness can survive the trappings of more wealth and success but, for the moment, the old socially romantic ideal of 11 friends looks like being put into practice. "Großkreutz, [Nuri] Sahin, Götze or Marcel Schmelzer would surely do well elsewhere, too," wrote Süddeutsche Zeitung. "But as a group, especially, they seem to possess a might and inner light that could take them into the European top level." It's true: when the holding midfielder Sven Bender, one of the team's most energetic runners, picked up an injury before the break, Mats Hummels said they "all decided to do a few extra metres more for him". All Leverkusen could do is get one goal back late on through Stefan Kiessling (80). "So much for all the talk about us not coping with pressure and all this rubbish," said the Borussia CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke.

The next day, Bayern Munich's Thomas Müller was casting envious glances at the champions-elect. "The whole of Germany wanted things to get exciting [at the top] again, but they make it look so easy." "The good news is: we are back and playing just as well as before the break," said Klopp, a tad more defensively.

It'll be interesting to know what they make of Dortmund's unstoppable run in the Frankfurt headquarters of the DFL (German Football League), where they've worked so hard in recent years to counter the Bundesliga's image as a one-team competition. Borussia are on course to secure the title as early as March. Nominally, 17 other teams are still involved but to find a league this one-sided, you'd have to dig out the rare German vinyl promo of "All I ever wanted".

Latest Bundesliga table

Dortmund are also the first side to have 40 Bundesliga points before Christmas; they had 43 going into the winter break. They've conceded 5 goals in their last 12 Bundesliga games (11 in 18 all season, scoring 42).

I can't recommend watching this Dortmund side enough to anyone who enjoys football.

I have been watching Dortmund Trog, in fact they've kept me sane throughout all this Villa nonsense!

I've really got into Bundesliga this season, Dortmund are a great side.

Nuri Sahin has really impressed me.

• 2 weeks later...

Lakic to join Wolfsburg in summer

F*$cking b**l*cks w*nk word removed f**k ar*e sh*t t*ts b*lls :angry::rant::angry::rant:violent-smiley-078.gifviolent-smiley-017.gif

Best player by a bloody mile at the club :cry:

Srdjan Lakic to Join Wolfsburg at the End of the Season

1. FC Kaiserslautern announced a crucial piece of news during the press conference ahead of the encounter with 1. FSV Mainz 05.

The Croatian forward Srdjan Lakic will join VfL Wolfsburg at the end of the current campaign. Stefan Kuntz, chairman of the FCK board of management, and the 27-year-old striker were present at the news conference ahead of the Mainz clash on Saturday, January 29, 2011, to respond to the journalists’ questions regarding Lakic’s move to Wolfsburg.

“We have exhausted all options to make Laki an attractive and affordable offer, but Wolfsburg’s offer is truly unbeatable,” Stefan Kuntz said. The former professional player regrets the development but shows understanding for Lakic’s decision. “Although we lose an outstanding player and one of our team captains, we need to show understanding for his decision since he has the possibility to sign a big deal with Wolfsburg. The negotiations with Srdjan have always been absolutely professional,” Kuntz pointed out.

The Croatian national team player surely looks forward to the new challenge, but underlined that it was no easy decision for him. “Anyone who knows me at least a little bit, is well aware that I will leave FCK with a heavy heart. I have had wonderful and successful years here. I have always given everything for the club and I certainly will continue to give everything to help achieving our great objective of staying in the top flight,” Srdjan Lakic stated.

Srdjan Lakic will sign a four-year contract until June 2015 with VfL Wolfsburg.

Neuer was phenomenal, I read he made more touches then any other Schalke player which says it all about their performance. Annan struggled to adjust to the pace of the Bundesliga and their defence was all over the place especially Metzelder. Huntelaar did ok as a defensive forward but barely looks a goal threat nowadays.

The way Dortmund go forward is a joy to behold, every time they go forward they have 3 or 4 options in space, the movement of their midfield can be sometimes to be impossible to defend unless you park the bus. They'll miss Kagawa though, too many times he had key contributions to their matches. Although Gotze aint half a good replacement, the lad is gonna be a star.

Hopefully they can keep that side together without being plundered by the usuals. I'm more hopeful that Dortmund can fend off Bayern than I would be of someone like Wolfsburg or Hoffenheim doing so. It would be good to see them in the CL intact rather than what happened Bremen this season.

Â