The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

Kaiserslautern.

Out of interest is it a passion or just to make German football a little more exciting?

Very good question. It starts off as simply making German (or [ insert league here ] ) football more interesting. But as usually happens, as you follow their results you find yourself more and more interested and before you know it you are supporting them and giving out about rivals and actually caring about the ups and downs :D

I probably started following them around the time of Sensible World Of Soccer (or SWOS) on the Amiga when I decided it would be nice to try and have a 'representative' in all the major leagues. It didn't turn out like that though. I only really 'follow' a few teams around Europe - and the fact it's only a few actually makes those few more special.

Thats quite interesting actually. Used to follow Italian football, and was always changing teams who I liked.

Went Roma

juventus

Milan

Inter (who i hated b4 Ronaldo signed) - got a top and stuff but never gave a shit if they lost, just liked it if they won, which is a bit weird now I think about it. I suppose it depends on how long you follow it for and how much contact you have with it - back then I only had Gazzetta. But i just cant imagine myself ever taking another team serious enough to give 2 shits about anything.

Spose its a good thing if you get a few teams on the go, because therd be games nearly everyday to look forward to - specially with streams nowadays.

Just another thought..... I watched a few german Highlights programme last season on setanta. A team called Hoffeinham (I think, correct me if im wrong) that play in blue were top and scoring goals for fun. What happened to them?

Also, every game seemed to be about 4-2 or something ridiculous. Is it quite high scoring?

WoodyTom, Hoffenheim are backed by a co-founder of SAP and have been coming through the leagues for the past 10 years I believe. They're still in the top flight though they've fallen a bit from the highs of last season. They're still very comfortable though.

22 year old Kaisersluatern keeper, Tobias Sippel gets first call-up to German provisional world cup squad :hooray:

Hands off him !!! :angry:

Not too gutted about losing Fromlowitz anymore then, eh? :D

Glad to see Marco Reus has made the squad too, he's had an absolutely stunning season.

no one mention TSG Hoffenheim!!

Small team from Germany who gone through all divisions to be a good team in Germany!

bit like Rushden & Diamonds being in premiership!

Also have some good players too, poor owner had death threats as is a millionaire who grew up in Hoffenheim

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/european/3274907/Hoffenheim-stun-Bundesliga-as-Hopp-lives-his-dream-Football.html

Steve McClaren has taken over the reigns at Wolfsburg..

It is a good move for him. They have a good base to their team and I think he will thrive there. Most of top players that work with him like Keane and Scholes say he is the best coach they worked with.

• 2 weeks later...

Well at least Dortmund are making some signings! They've brought in Mitch Langerak, an Australian goalkeeper, to play as back-up to Weidenfeller now that Ziegler's returned to Stuttgart, as well as Polish international Lukasz Piszczek and young Japanese international Shinji Kagawa.

Großkreutz and Hummels made their debuts for Germany recently too, against -ahem- Malta.

• 3 weeks later...

DFB Cup 1st round draw

SV Sandhausen – FC Augsburg

Schwarz-Weiss Essen – Alemannia Aachen

SV Wilhelmshaven – Einracht Frankfurt

SV Elversberg – Hannover 96

TSV Germania Windeck – FC Bayern München

Hallescher FC – 1. FC Union Berlin

FK Pirmasens – Bayer 04 Leverkusen

FC Ingolstadt – Karlsruher SC

Eintracht Trier – 1. FC Nürnberg

TuS Koblenz – Fortuna Düsseldorf

Wacker Burghausen – Borussia Dortmund

SV Babelsberg – VfB Stuttgart

FC Oberneuland – SC Freiburg

SC Pfullendorf – Hertha BSC Berlin

Rot-Weiss Ahlen – Werder Bremen

Torgelower SV Greif – Hamburger SV

VfB Lübeck – MSV Duisburg

FSV Frankfurt – SC Paderborn 07

SC Verl – TSV 1860 München

SC Preussen Münster – VfL Wolfsburg

Eintracht Braunschweig – SpVgg Greuther Fürth

VfR Aalen – FC Schalke 04

FC Hansa Rostock – 1899 Hoffenheim

Victoria Hamburg – Rot-Weiss Oberhausen

VfL Osnabrück - 1. FC Kaiserslautern

FC Erzgebirge Aue – Borussia Mönchengladbach

Chemnitzer FC – FC St. Pauli

Berliner AK 07 – 1. FSV Mainz 05

ZFC Meuselwitz – 1. FC Köln

Jahn Regensburg – DSC Arminia Bielefeld

Kickers Offenbach – VfL Bochum 1848

TuS Heeslingen – FC Energie Cottbus

Well at least Dortmund are making some signings! They've brought in Mitch Langerak, an Australian goalkeeper, to play as back-up to Weidenfeller now that Ziegler's returned to Stuttgart, as well as Polish international Lukasz Piszczek and young Japanese international Shinji Kagawa.

Großkreutz and Hummels made their debuts for Germany recently too, against -ahem- Malta.

Hummels is terrifyingly good. Bayern must (and quite frankly should) be kicking themselves. I'm quite chuffed about Lucas Barrios opting to represent Paraguay at the World Cup, they were one of the four teams I pulled in the work sweeps and Barrios should go some way to filling the Salvador Cabanas-shaped hole up front (and let's be fair, he's alright but he wasn't getting in the Argentina squad ahead of Messi et al).

Been a few wheelings and dealings in the Bundesliga so far by the looks of things:

Eintracht Frankfurt have gone Greek and brought in Theo Gekas and a young left-back from Panionios by the name of Georgios Tzavella.

Hannover 96 apparently had a hankering for goalies and bought Markus Miller from Karlsruhe and Ron-Robert Zieler from Manure, along with Emanuel Pogatetz and a couple others.

Werder Bremen have taken the plunge on Marko Arnautovic after his failure to break into the Inter Milan side (never really seemed likely, I think at best he would have been a replacement for Balotelli on the bench had Inter got rid of him, Arnautovic was certainly never going to dislodge Eto'o or Milito). He could do a job there.

Bayer Leverkusen have brought in young Sidney Sam from Hamburg (BOF you should be familiar with the name, 11 goals in 51 games on loan at Kaiserslautern over the last few seasons), he could be one to watch in the future. Hanno Balitsch has also returned after a few years pottering around the leagues, and they've also brought in Croatian U21 regular Domagoj Vida.

Schalke had a relatively high profile departure and arrival; Kevin Kuranyi's gone to Dynamo Moscow, but Christoph Metzelder's been brought in. As BOF mentioned earlier, Erik Jendrisek's also come in from Kaiserslautern (he could very well make a cameo at some point in the World Cup for Slovakia).

VfB Stuttgart have lost midfielder Roberto Hilbert to Besiktas, but have bought Christian Gentner back on a free transfer from VfL Wolfsburg.

VfL Wolfsburg will be boosted by the arrival of promising young Swiss striker Nassim Ben Khalifa from Grasshoppers, this particular deal having been completed back in February.

Mönchengladbach have bolstered their defence with youngsters Bamba Anderson and Jens Wissing coming in from the lower leagues (technically Anderson has signed from Leverkusen, but he's spent the last two years at VfL Osnabrück and Fortuna Dusseldorf). We also have the second biggest transfer thus far (after Arnautovic), Igor de Camargo coming in from Standard Liege.

A final word on Kaiserslautern, striker Rodnei has been brought in permanently from Hertha Berlin after spending last season on loan, the experienced Christian Tiffert (from MSV Duisburg) and Oliver Kirch (from Arminia Bielefeld) have beefed up the midfield. Occasional Algeria international Chadli Amri has also come in on a free transfer.

• 4 weeks later...
Â