The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

I think its funny when you see a player that looked awful in a brief Premier League spell thrive elsewhere.

I remember Modeste playing for Blackburn and he was just so so awful and now he is one of the better strikers in Bundesliga

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think its funny when you see a player that looked awful in a brief Premier League spell thrive elsewhere.

I remember Modeste playing for Blackburn and he was just so so awful and now he is one of the better strikers in Bundesliga

Or our current trainee Chris Samba who was deemed to slow and bad with his feet to play in the Bundesliga after a disappointing spell at Hertha Berlin.

But then went on to have a very good spell at Blackburn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Modeste was also in his early 20s when he was playing for Blackburn. Now he is in his late 20s. It makes a pretty big difference. Plus sometimes players are more suited to certain leagues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

When was Modeste at Blackburn...Benni McCarthy/Santa Cruz era?

Short loan spell the year they went down (2011/12?) iirc. He was a good underage player for France, coming through in the Benzema/Nasri/Menez/Payet/Ben Arfa crop. He was good with Bastia and Hoffenheim (alongside Firmino, Volland, etc) but was always streaky before landing at Koln.

Sure I wasnt having a go at him I just think its funny the way these things turn out, same with lad Kalinic at Fiorentina

Come to think of it Blackburn really is a mess for young strikers, bet Lewandowski is chuffed now that volcano happened :lol:

Actually I do remember on the Bundesliga highlights on ITV them mentioning he was ex Blackburn a couple of times...he does seem to score every game for Koln.

Kalinic's two best games for Blackburn were v us in the Carling cup....two goals at VP and keep on hitting the post in the first leg. He's developed into a very good striker in Seria A.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Sure I wasnt having a go at him I just think its funny the way these things turn out, same with lad Kalinic at Fiorentina

Come to think of it Blackburn really is a mess for young strikers, bet Lewandowski is chuffed now that volcano happened :lol:

Federico Fazio is looking brilliant this season for Roma after being horrendous for Spurs too! Iago Aspas another example.

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

N'Zonzi was never awful.  He was always one of the best players Blackburn had.  Always seemed to be too good for that side as a defensive midfielder and I remember other sides were regularly sniffing around him.

The switch to centre back seems to have brought him to the next level, but there was always a player there.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

N'Zonzi was never awful.  He was always one of the best players Blackburn had.  Always seemed to be too good for that side as a defensive midfielder and I remember other sides were regularly sniffing around him.

The switch to centre back seems to have brought him to the next level, but there was always a player there.

Still plays centre-mid, but I agree there was always a player in there! Stoke's landslide POTY before leaving. I can see France caps for him before long.

Back OT, good chance for Leipzig to move within 2 points of Bayern tonight against Augsburg.

can they keep hold of their players though. rumours that Liverpool want Forsberg and bigger teams will come looking for Keita as well, he would fit into either of Spanish giants midfield

all well and good not selling to Bayern but if non German teams come in, I can see players wanting to leave

Keita is the one to get imo, reminds me so much with his style of Kante but better in the final third.

Have to give Leipzig credit....we're now in the first weekend of March and they are 4 points off Bayern at the top. I think for the Bundesliga it's a real shame their home game against Munchen is right at the end of the season when Bayern will probably have wrapped up the league...would've been much better in next few weeks.

• Like 1

Forsberg, Keita and Werner are the 3 players they need to keep if they want to compete. Financially, they have no need to sell, and I don't think clubs like Liverpool are a step up tbh. Barca/Real/Bayern/Juve are a different story of course, but I think only Keita would interest them atm. Interesting to see how Leipzig approach the market themselves as they have cash to burn and will offer Champions League football. Until now they've exclusively bought youngsters for relatively small fees (Oliver Burke is the exception) so I wonder if they'll change tack in the summer.

yes that's it they don't have to sell. I think theres a lot of jealousy from the other senior clubs. Maybe they have gate-crashed the league with the financial backing but you still have to spend wisely and they have and are excelently coached.

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Keita is the one to get imo, reminds me so much with his style of Kante but better in the final third.

He is much better on the ball than Kante, said it before his movement and dribbling style is like Iniesta in his pomp

this Bayern team is a hell of a lot more exciting to watch than the teams Pep used to turn up with. Like a return to the glorious Heynckes team from few years back

• Like 1

Â