Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Wonderful from Stokes.

Not sure of the declaration though. Still early in the game, should have piled more runs on while the SA bowlers are struggling 

Just checked the scorecard as I've been working - wow.  Great to see Stokes delivering so massively.

In sadder news, I was shocked to hear that Matt Hobden had died when I woke up this morning.  As a Sussex fan I've seen him bowl a fair bit and he had raw potential, and was supposed to be a really nice bloke too.  Cricket seems to have its unfair share of tragedies.

This one seems to be heading towards a draw. Batman's wicket, so seems like the likely result. That said, a couple of wickets, and we're into the Saffer's tail.... Still think it'll be a draw.

Just found out I'm going to Blackcaps vs Australia in Feb. 

Ordinarily, I'd be rather excited but as I'll have just landed in Wellington that morning (following more than 24 hours airborne), I do wonder if I might struggle to get maximum enjoyment out of it.

England have made a mighty fine effort at making this series competitive again. Batting practice for AB, Amla and now Du Plessis - this match will be a draw  but I have a horrible feeling this series is going to end badly. 

Anybody see or hear about the interview with Chris Gayle after he was out in the Aussie 'Big Bash' series? I happened to see it and thought at the time that Gayle might be in trouble. Depends if you considered it harmless banter or demeaning to women. Opinions ? The interview is on the Big Bash Facebook page (Well  - it was !)

11 minutes ago, veloman said:

Anybody see or hear about the interview with Chris Gayle after he was out in the Aussie 'Big Bash' series? I happened to see it and thought at the time that Gayle might be in trouble. Depends if you considered it harmless banter or demeaning to women. Opinions ? The interview is on the Big Bash Facebook page (Well  - it was !)

What did he say?

2 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

What did he say?

West Indies batsman Chris Gayle has been called "disrespectful" for asking a journalist on a date during a Big Bash League live pitch-side interview.

Gayle was responding to a question from Ten Sport's Melanie McLaughlin about his aggressive batting style after scoring 41 runs in 15 deliveries.

He said: "To see your eyes for the first time is nice. Hopefully we can have a drink afterwards. Don't blush."

BBL statement said the comments were "disrespectful and inappropriate".

The 36-year-old former West Indies captain's knock helped the Melbourne Renegades to a five-wicket win over Hobart Hurricanes.

BBL head Anthony Everard added: "We'll certainly be talking to him and the Renegades about it.

"This league is all about its appeal to kids, families and females. There's just no place in the BBL, or for that matter cricket anywhere, for that sort of behaviour."

Australian broadcaster Ten Sport apologised on air after the interview and later tweeted "well played for staying professional" after McLaughlin replied to Gayle: "I'm not blushing."

McLaughlin, 36, joined Network Ten to host match-day coverage of the Big Bash League in 2013.

Beeb

2 hours ago, veloman said:

Generally with these things I stop and think about it for a few seconds, and then think to myself 'oh piss off and get over yourselves'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, veloman said:

Demeaning? How? He asked her out, he didn't ask her to lick his arsehole while giving him a reach around (aka a 'rusty trombone')

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Demeaning? How? He asked her out, he didn't ask her to lick his arsehole while giving him a reach around (aka a 'rusty trombone')

Hang on a minute; I didn't say it was demeaning to women but it is quite plain, to me at least, that some people in the media thought it was and I THINK that word was used on the TV.

I just wondered what others thought; the Australian broadcasters made quite a big deal out of it with a somewhat fawning apology.

5 minutes ago, veloman said:

Hang on a minute; I didn't say it was demeaning to women but it is quite plain, to me at least, that some people in the media thought it was and I THINK that word was used on the TV.

I just wondered what others thought; the Australian broadcasters made quite a big deal out of it with a somewhat fawning apology.

Ahh i see, apologies.

I don't think its demeaning, a little ill judged perhaps but a storm in a tea cup for me. :)

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Ahh i see, apologies.

I don't think its demeaning, a little ill judged perhaps but a storm in a tea cup for me. :)

No problem. Agree with you entirely ... but quite unusual in cricket (and unheard of in Cycling :D )

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

England players acting like dicks in the field? James Anderson always comes across as a gobshite

Many quick bowlers give the verbals. Even in village cricket, there'll be someone chuntering on. Not saying it's right, but it's part of his game. By all accounts, he's totally different off the filed.

At work, so only got the BBC website to go by, but I believe the antics in the field (the not talking) are in protest to the umpire warning Anderson about his verbals.

Â